Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He failed to nail a starting spot ahead of Lucas...... That's on him.
That’s such a bad way of looking at the issue when the issue is that he didn’t get a fair chance to prove himself.

Another factor is Mourinho and Nuno. Bergwijn is going to be better in a team that is building play rather than playing on the counter.

Bergwijn got a goal or assist every 189 minutes in the premier league.

Lucas has a goal or assist every 222 minutes in the premier league.

Bergwijn wasn’t great for us and he has to take some responsibility for his lack of game time but he was here during an unusually shit time for a creative attacking midfielder to be with us and it’s clear there’s untapped potential there that he is likely to realise in a more conducive environment.

That’s such a bad way of looking at the issue when the issue is that he didn’t get a fair chance to prove himself.

Another factor is Mourinho and Nuno. Bergwijn is going to be better in a team that is building play rather than playing on the counter.

Bergwijn wasn’t great for us and he has to take some responsibility for his lack of game time but he was here during an unusually shit time for a creative attacking midfielder to be with us and it’s clear there’s untapped potential there that he is likely to realise in a more conducive environment.
Not to mention that his main position off of the left wing has been more or less nailed down by Son for the last couple of years.

Bergwijn has definitely showcased qualities that should justify more playing time. But at the same time Son has shown even more quality over a extended period of time to justify the position being his own.

That's not true.

That more conducive environment being at a significantly lower level than the EPL.

Him smashing the Eridivise will prove nothing.

(As already stated above; I like the player and think he has something to give...... I just think he's exhibiting a lack of self awareness.)

That's not true.

That more conducive environment being at a significantly lower level than the EPL.

Him smashing the Eridivise will prove nothing.

(As already stated above; I like the player and think he has something to give...... I just think he's exhibiting a lack of self awareness.)
Nah you’ve adopted a defensive stance to Bergwijn’s comments and you’re running with it. A former player can make reasonable criticisms of our club (and they were barely that).

A conducive environment is about the playing style and mood. That’s got nothing to do with the level. Aubameyang has gone to Barcelona and torn things up despite being dogshit at Woolwich for a while. He’s happy and motivated in a team that plays to his strengths.

The cherrypicked quotes we’ve heard from Bergwijn were fair about his experience and I never heard anything other than positive things about his work ethic at the club. Mourinho especially and Conte were both impressed.

Since B’s debut at Man City…
Bergwijn - 2460 minutes
Lucas - 4139 minutes
Goal and assist output in the premier league cannot justify that difference because Bergwijn was more prolific than Lucas. The only justifications I can see are that Lucas is better on the counter and a more effective defender? So I can totally understand why he’s happy to move. Good for him.

Nah you’ve adopted a defensive stance to Bergwijn’s comments and you’re running with it. A former player can make reasonable criticisms of our club (and they were barely that).

I'm quite clear about MY line of thinking thanks......

Each tweet of his that I've seen has had an aura of "it's someone else's fault"..... He likened himself to an un-cared for Ferrari in one of them FFS.

Not even close to the same. Embarrassing response. No point in continuing the discussion further with a response like that.
Lmao but it's all only football.

I'm just interested as to why people should let one player move on and not another; I know what Sol did was worse - but you are suggesting that he isn't here and people should move on. I'm curious as to what other aspect of life this pertains to.

The fact is, Stevie didn't do enough to cement a place in the team and is now running his mouth.

Lmao but it's all only football.

I'm just interested as to why people should let one player move on and not another; I know what Sol did was worse - but you are suggesting that he isn't here and people should move on. I'm curious as to what other aspect of life this pertains to.

The fact is, Stevie didn't do enough to cement a place in the team and is now running his mouth.
He said the lack of playing time was difficult.

It’s pretty unhealthy to get worked up over such an insignificant comment.

Some might see it as running his mouth but he is bound to be repeatedly asked about his time at Spurs and how/why it didn’t work out. I’d rather him say that it was difficult because of a lack of opportunities than say “it was fucking brilliant. Got paid serious money for doing next to fuck all for a couple of years”.

He’s still crying

He didn’t say anything wrong, he deserved to play more but with Deki, Son and Kane playing so well in the league and no cup matches there were no real opportunities for him. I understand that playing 5 minutes instead of 20 minutes a match was very frustrating but he was never going to start games. In the end everyone got what they wanted with this deal.

He didn’t say anything wrong, he deserved to play more but with Deki, Son and Kane playing so well in the league and no cup matches there were no real opportunities for him. I understand that playing 5 minutes instead of 20 minutes a match was very frustrating but he was never going to start games. In the end everyone got what they wanted with this deal.
How do we know he ‘deserved’ more? Obviously Conte didn’t think he did.

It's his opinion which he is allowed. I can't get my head round why some folk are desperate to make an enemy out of a player who has left with zero rancour. We have a couple of genuine world classes tosser wasteman still sucking the club dry. Confused by the Bergwijn obsession.
Because like him some folks also have opinions, not entirely zero rancour he had his say while he was here and has continued his digs since then. I quite like the boy, he’s obviously irked and moved clubs but hasn’t apparently moved on. Good luck to him maybe as that Dutch coach said we’re too ambitious for him

Back
Top Bottom