Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know there are sterotypes about English players and West Ham as well.

But let’s me clear Rice is elite, he is after Rodri the best in his position in the league. His positional awareness is absolutely outstanding on par with any DM. And when his contract runs down futher and West Ham have to sell he will have his pick of elite clubs and even with 1 year left on his deal West Ham will get a big pay day.
If Rice is elite, then what are players like Barrella, Anguissa, Bennacer, Tonali etc.? I'm not getting into the Kimmichs, Tchouamenis of the World by the way. Bentancur absolutely dominated him when we played West Ham at The Lane last season.

If Rice is elite, then what are players like Barrella, Anguissa, Bennacer, Tonali etc.? I'm not getting into the Kimmichs, Tchouamenis of the World by the way. Bentancur absolutely dominated him when we played West Ham at The Lane last season.

Look Kane has poor games but when you see Hammers or Woolwich fans trying to pretend he isn’t in the Lewondoski, Benzema or Haaland bracket of striker it looks like sour grapes.

Rice has proven himself both in the prem and international football as one of the best, He is critical for England like Kane. Like Kane he stands above because his brain is better, he nearly always makes the right run, pass or interception.

If West Ham sold this summer they would want £100m plus and next summer they will have a whole host of clubs throwing money to get him with 1 year left. There are few DM’s in that position.

I don’t like West Ham and they are mostly a average team but Rice is way too good for them.

Look Kane has poor games but when you see Hammers or Woolwich fans trying to pretend he isn’t in the Lewondoski, Benzema or Haaland bracket of striker it looks like sour grapes.

Rice has proven himself both in the prem and international football as one of the best, He is critical for England like Kane. Like Kane he stands above because his brain is better, he nearly always makes the right run, pass or interception.

If West Ham sold this summer they would want £100m plus and next summer they will have a whole host of clubs throwing money to get him with 1 year left.
Throughout Euros he looked a bit above average, to be fair Philips impressed me way more.

As for the last point, Wolves just sold Morgan Gibbs-White for 45M. Does that make him a great midfielder? Especially compared to players like Tonali or Locatelli that moved for way less? English clubs are stupid when it comes to purchasing players. Makes our Bissouma signing even better when you take it into prespective.

Throughout Euros he looked a bit above average, to be fair Philips impressed me way more.

As for the last point, Wolves just sold Morgan Gibbs-White for 45M. Does that make him a great midfielder? Especially compared to players like Tonali or Locatelli that moved for way less? English clubs are stupid when it comes to purchasing players. Makes our Bissouma signing even better when you take it into prespective.

There is a difference between Forrest overpaying out of desperation to build a squad capable of staying in the prem and a potential bidding war next summer of elite clubs trying to get Rice.

Bissouma is though for £25m a crazy good signing. Bissouma has been outstanding and once he is comfortable with Conte’s system can be a top player.

Fabinho got dominated by Fulham's midfield the other week .. he was awful vs Palace too. I don't think a one off game is indicative of much at all, especially when days before he played a crucial Europa League game vs Sevilla where he was MOTM.

Oh and I thought he was excellent at the Euros btw. Really went under the radar. I remember after the Italy game Sirigu came out and said they (the italy bench) were shocked Rice came off as they felt he was our best player.

If West Ham sold this summer they would want £100m plus and next summer they will have a whole host of clubs throwing money to get him with 1 year left. There are few DM’s in that position.

I don’t like West Ham and they are mostly a average team but Rice is way too good for them.

If Rice’s name were Arroyo he’d be worth half of that. The English players are always overvalued.

Slabhead comes to mind.

If Rice’s name were Arroyo he’d be worth half of that. The English players are always overvalued.

Slabhead comes to mind.

It works both ways though. Kane has often been undervalued, I have heard before if Kane was Kaninho and we bought him for £100m he would have been rated better.

English players are home grown which helps squads and know the prem and yes some of them are overrated like Maguire. But Maguire’s failure isn’t a stick too beat Rice with.

I think he's a good player, but I also think Rice is a really good player who passes both the eye test & statistical anaylsis.

But I agree with your overall point. Casemiro is a top footballer & the whole 'he's past it' shit at 30 is very silly .. the only factors that I think could lead to him failing are all Manchester United based.

I think people are making a fair association with the even younger Varane (same 'journey', profile etc.)....... All it takes is for the player to not like the weather, not like the week to week physicality of the league, not be up for the fight that it's gonna take ho help elevate Utd or simply be seeking early retirement and he could well prove to be another expensive bust.

Fingers crossed eh.

One thing that puzzles me though is why Varane wouldn't have been on the phone straight away and said "Yo, Cas.... Fuck this place.... Don't do it."

Sure but so was Varane at Madrid and Sancho at Dortmund.

It's a very different proposition for a player to perform well at this dysfunctional United team, with a loser for a manager, than to perform at some of the best well run clubs in the world.

There is also the adapting to PL factor.

This isn't a reason to worry about United imo. It's more an indictment of the lack of ambition on the player's side. He's going for a payday.
Of course - fully agree.

Not worried about UTD. But that’s a good signing. Completely plugs a gap they need. I personally think he’ll have no problems adapting.

TBF, the poor bugger had been way overplayed by that point.....

EPL / Europa league semi's / Euro finals / NationsLeague / WC qualifiers.

He had literally played 120 minutes 3 days beforehand. And I watched that game, he was everywhere & had cramp towards the end. He had ran himself in to the ground .. if West Ham had any sense and/or depth, he doesn't play against us.

But it was their cup final, so an exhausted Rice had to try & hold the fort vs a fit Hojbjerg/Bentancur..

I think people are making a fair association with the even younger Varane (same 'journey', profile etc.)....... All it takes is for the player to not like the weather, not like the week to week physicality of the league, not be up for the fight that it's gonna take ho help elevate Utd or simply be seeking early retirement and he could well prove to be another expensive bust.

Fingers crossed eh.

One thing that puzzles me though is why Varane wouldn't have been on the phone straight away and said "Yo, Cas.... Fuck this place.... Don't do it."

United is a graveyard of players. I remember Shaw at Saints, what a player, went to United and had a few really good seasons but is mostly unfit and out of sorts.

It gives you the impression everything from coaches, equipment and medical is years out of date. United is a place to earn big wages and have a bit of a rest.

Back
Top Bottom