Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't know how good this lad is but it looks pretty poor that Conte seems to be distancing himself from his signing considering we were linked to him for quite a while . I would have thought Conte would have made his feelings clear on the signing or any other one at that .

I don't think a kid on loan in the Championship can immediately step up into a CL and top 4 team and hit the levels expected. That's a very big jump.

I would expect he will need a season of development and possibly more to even get close. That's not what people want to hear though.

I don't think a kid on loan in the Championship can immediately step up into a CL and top 4 team and hit the levels expected. That's a very big jump.

I would expect he will need a season of development and possibly more to even get close. That's not what people want to hear though.
Could he have been any worse than that useless Emerson? I dunno how

Could he have been any worse than that useless Emerson? I dunno how
From 60' on, Conte was happy to play for a draw, away at Lisbon :/ I'm sorry Conte, but if you're afraid to attack a team who hadn't won against English competition in 10 years or whatever the stat was, you're a footballing pussy/Fanny/sausage wallet/whatever. We already play with 3 CBs- how much more respect do we really need to give everyone when they already respect us, and just sit deep and counter against us anyways?

Last edited:

Forgetting somebody?
:deledoubt:

Loads of examples players coming up from lower level to do well on higher.

Ofc Dele mentioned here- coming straight from League One to rip up EPL.
Just look at Carvalho stepping to Pool side and already scoring 2 goals in EPL.
Just look at Skippy who stepped from starting for Norwich to starting for Spurs.

Standout performers in Championsip (like Spence was) could very well kick it straight on. "Top 4 team" is nothing more than EPL team. And sides like Marseille and Sporting are hardly stronger than EPL rivals we play in league. So I don't see any logic or substance or even argument in what you are saying. Just statement or opinion.

There is no such "process"
If there is someone talented who can play in a position the team is lacking in, he should play right away.

He is a professional footballer..not someone off the streets

There is no such "process"
If there is someone talented who can play in a position the team is lacking in, he should play right away.

He is a professional footballer..not someone off the streets
He would already be playing if the manager thought he was the best option. He's obviously not at the level Conte wants. Which is what counts not what you or the other armchair nobodies on here think.

He would already be playing if the manager thought he was the best option. He's obviously not at the level Conte wants. Which is what counts not what you or the other armchair nobodies on here think.

Yea, good old argument - coach picked this. He is smarter. Now all go fuck off.

That would turn this forum into ... well stating facts. Royal has started all games. Fact. End of discussion.

But guess fucking what... managers DO FUCK UP. Managers do make mistakes. Managers make wrong picks (like starting Royal)... now you can come out and explain or justify or whatever. But don't come with this boring and simplistic "aaaaa but manager knows more than you" crap.

Yea, good old argument - coach picked this. He is smarter. Now all go fuck off.

That would turn this forum into ... well stating facts. Royal has started all games. Fact. End of discussion.

But guess fucking what... managers DO FUCK UP. Managers do make mistakes. Managers make wrong picks (like starting Royal)... now you can come out and explain or justify or whatever. But don't come with this boring and simplistic "aaaaa but manager knows more than you" crap.
The fact is that we don't know how good Spence is.

We don't know about his attitude, if any.
How he applies himself in training.
How he compares to Emerson or Doherty skills wise.

We know literally nothing about his ability, unless of course someone on here watched all his games for Middlesbrough and Forest, which I very much doubt.

I said at the time of his signing that he will not be a first team player for at least one year.

We bought him for his potential abilities, not for his current abilities.
No other team was in for him, at least no other top half PL team, and that in itself speaks volumes.

The fact is that we don't know how good Spence is.

We don't know about his attitude, if any.
How he applies himself in training.
How he compares to Emerson or Doherty skills wise.

We know literally nothing about his ability, unless of course someone on here watched all his games for Middlesbrough and Forest, which I very much doubt.

I said at the time of his signing that he will not be a first team player for at least one year.

We bought him for his potential abilities, not for his current abilities.
No other team was in for him, at least no other top half PL team, and that in itself speaks volumes.

True, we do not know.
And you do not know. Yet stating "he will not be a first team player for at least one year" sounds awfully like knowing.

P.S - yes other teams were in for him. Woolwich for example. Weirdly short memory regarding that.

P.P.S - with all that I don't try to say that he would 100% be getting regular playing time for Spurs this season. He might or he might not. But we surely cannot claim with full certainty that he would not either. It is very much up in air. For all we know right now is that Spence has 1 dying-minute sub-appearance for Spurs this season while Doherty has 2; neither have started so far.

True, we do not know.
And you do not know. Yet stating "he will not be a first team player for at least one year" sounds awfully like knowing.

P.S - yes other teams were in for him. Woolwich for example. Weirdly short memory regarding that.

P.P.S - with all that I don't try to say that he would 100% be getting regular playing time for Spurs this season. He might or he might not. But we surely cannot claim with full certainty that he would not either. It is very much up in air. For all we know right now is that Spence has 1 dying-minute sub-appearance for Spurs this season while Doherty has 2; neither have started so far.
Thing is I am quite happy to be proven wrong on my opinion that he won't be a first team player for a year.
In fact I'd be delighted for him to become our No 1 choice at WB.

It is definitely not "up in the air". He's not getting playing time so it is a fact at this moment in time.
Maybe that will change as the season goes on, but as it stands he's at least 3rd choice right WB, and may even be 4th if (a big if I know) Conte plays Perisic there in a crisis

Like I said, and you agreed with, we don't know, I don't know and you don't know how good, or not he is.

The ones who do know, i.e. the coaches and the manager see him every day in training, in practice matches etc.
They see his attitude, his ability, his application.
Rightly or wrongly they have decided that he is not good enough (yet) to start games.

You can of course say that they're wrong, and of course we can debate their choices, but they are the only ones who are in a position to judge him.

P.S. I don't believe Woolwich were seriously interested in him.
Yes, there were reports, but all just click bait headlines to whip up Spurs vs Woolwich arguments imo.

Back
Top Bottom