Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The advantage for the skilled back then though was surely that everyone else round them was pretty much lacklustre.

Whereas today, your decent player would likely be world class in 1960.

Fuck me, imagine prime Aaron Lennon playing in the 1970s. You'd think England would have produced a fucking Garrincha regen.
Lennon would be fit 5% of the time, that sort of player wasn't existent then for a reason, he's ankles would be gone at 14

Im not saying its right but those skilled players had to deal with that

You can’t say he’s the greatest, he’s up there with them.
It’s too difficult to compare across generations, same on all sports,
Imagine Jim Clark or sterling moss driving todays f1 cars , McEnroe played with a wooden racket etc

The advantage for the skilled back then though was surely that everyone else round them was pretty much lacklustre.

Whereas today, your decent player would likely be world class in 1960.

Fuck me, imagine prime Aaron Lennon playing in the 1970s. You'd think England would have produced a fucking Garrincha regen.
I really don't get this argument.

If everybody was " pretty much lacklustre" why weren't there more great players ?

It's up there with "It was easier to score goals back then "

Well, why wasn't everyone scoring as many goals as Jimmy ?

I really don't get this argument.

If everybody was " pretty much lacklustre" why weren't there more great players ?

There were loads of great players though...

It's up there with "It was easier to score goals back then "

Well, why wasn't everyone scoring as many goals as Jimmy ?

Because Jimmy was better?

Just because he scored more than others doesn't mean others weren't scoring goals. And because he was more than a goalscorer is why he's remembered as a great and the other guys who would get 30+ goals aren't.

Almost like the argument that Kane is the best striker in the world yet many others are out scoring him every year.

There were loads of great players though...
But only because nearly everyone else was "lacklustre", right ?
Because Jimmy was better?
Because he was surrounded by "lacklustre" defenders ?
Just because he scored more than others doesn't mean others weren't scoring goals.
but nowhere near as many as him.
. And because he was more than a goalscorer is why he's remembered as a great and the other guys who would get 30+ goals aren't.
Nobody had anywhere near the consistency he had.
Almost like the argument that Kane is the best striker in the world yet many others are out scoring him every year.
Jimmy should definitely be included in the GOAT conversation and it amazes me that he's not, especially when you have Best mentioned in there.

But only because nearly everyone else was "lacklustre", right ?

Well, the level of quality was alot worse. So yes. Unless you had more about you that stands the test of the time like the players we still talk of today.

Pele, Maradona, Cruyff etc.

All ground breaking in their own way. In a time where it was alot easier to be ground breaking.

Because he was surrounded by "lacklustre" defenders ?

More that he was just a really really good player. You only have to watch full Tottenham games from that time or highlights to see he was a lot better than the amateurs he was pretty much playing against.

Shame we couldn't plop him into the 90s beyond. But I think Greaves is in the category of players that you could put in any generation and he'll do well.

but nowhere near as many as him.

Well, no. Because Greaves was better. I thought that was clear?

Nobody had anywhere near the consistency he had.

Jimmy should definitely be included in the GOAT conversation and it amazes me that he's not, especially when you have Best mentioned in there.

When did I say he wasn't?

Greaves is a fantastic footballer. Not just a great finisher but a really good footballer too. Which was somewhat ground breaking in his day. You usually just had your Laws, Smiths, Hunts who were all good finishers, but Greaves eclipsed them in overall ability which is why he's remembered today and others from that time simply aren't. Despite their goalscoring ability.

Unless you had more about you that stands the test of the time like the players we still talk of today.
So pretty much the same as today's players.
Which is why we will be talking about Messi in years to come.
More that he was just a really really good player. You only have to watch full Tottenham games from that time or highlights to see he was a lot better than the amateurs he was pretty much playing against.
Playing against amateurs ?
Shame we couldn't plop him into the 90s beyond. But I think Greaves is in the category of players that you could put in any generation and he'll do well.
But still good enough for the 90s🤷
Greaves is a fantastic footballer.
Which is my point.

If the great players of yesteryear were born in modern times they'd still be great players today.

It has nothing to do with playing against lacklustre opposition

Jimmy, Charlton, Best, Pele, Beckenbauer (spelling?) would still be great today.
The same way that Messi, Ronaldo (Fat and Portuguese), Kane, etc would still be great if he'd played back then.*

*Growth hormone permitting.

So pretty much the same as today's players.
Which is why we will be talking about Messi in years to come.

Perhaps but the level or quality is so much higher now that there's alot more players playing today who would look 10x better back in the 60s. As opposed to the other way round. That much is obvious.

Playing against amateurs ?

As in the standard was terrible.

Which is my point.

If the great players of yesteryear were born in modern times they'd still be great players today.

It has nothing to do with playing against lacklustre opposition

Jimmy, Charlton, Best, Pele, Beckenbauer (spelling?) would still be great today.
The same way that Messi, Ronaldo (Fat and Portuguese), Kane, etc would still be great if he'd played back then.*

*Growth hormone permitting.

They would be great players. But likely wouldn't be remembered as much, no.

Cruyff is remembered because of total football and the turn. Your average Championship team can play total football with half their team cruyff turning twice per game nowadays. Football evolves.

That's not to say Cruyff wouldn't excel in a different way. He was a great footballer, but players from those days are like lore.

I'd argue modern day footballers would look better if you put threw them in a time machine than the other way round. Which says enough.

Sadly, the more and more time goes on, the more of these legends from the 1960s will continue to get blown out of proportion in comparison to the players from modern day because of the lack of people alive to actually have seen them sadly.

Perhaps but the level or quality is so much higher now that there's alot more players playing today who would look 10x better back in the 60s. As opposed to the other way round. That much is obvious.

As in the standard was terrible.

They would be great players. But likely wouldn't be remembered as much, no.

Cruyff is remembered because of total football and the turn. Your average Championship team can play total football with half their team cruyff turning twice per game nowadays. Football evolves.

That's not to say Cruyff wouldn't excel in a different way. He was a great footballer, but players from those days are like lore.

I'd argue modern day footballers would look better if you put threw them in a time machine than the other way round. Which says enough.

Sadly, the more and more time goes on, the more of these legends from the 1960s will continue to get blown out of proportion in comparison to the players from modern day because of the lack of people alive to actually have seen them sadly.
I don't believe in the argument.

Simply because the argument has to be on a level playing field (pun intended)

If someone says that olden day players wouldn't be as good today because of fitness, conditioning, diet etc.
Then you also have to say that the players of today wouldn't be as good years ago because of the lack of fitness, conditioning etc etc......along with playing on mudheaps, sandpits and getting kicked in the knackers every time you received the ball.

A great player is a great player from any era.

Saw that. It’s why he is so good. He can score nearly 100 goals and run the midfield at the same time. It’s why with no disrespected to Ronaldo, Haaland, Mbappe it’s just not remotely comparable, Messi’s all round game is the best by far of any player I have ever seen.

Saw that. It’s why he is so good. He can score nearly 100 goals and run the midfield at the same time. It’s why with no disrespected to Ronaldo, Haaland, Mbappe it’s just not remotely comparable, Messi’s all round game is the best by far of any player I have ever seen.

Exactly. When have you ever seen Ronaldo play passes like that? Even if he could he wouldn’t do it because he’s a prick.

Exactly. When have you ever seen Ronaldo play passes like that? Even if he could he wouldn’t do it because he’s a prick.

Almost never and to be fair it’s very hard. Ronaldo at his peak with his quick feet, pace, power and elite finished redefined the wing forward role, he is one of the best and was incredible for a few years.

It’s just when talking about the GOAT in Messi you have a player that can do everything Ronaldo/Mbappe can and also everything Modric and De Bruyne can. It’s the all round complete game, maybe only Maradona had the same but his peak was shorter.

Back
Top Bottom