VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
If a goal is given then i dont think VAR should be checking CM's for offside, maybe they should just use it for if a goal is ruled out by the Lino but the player is on, then VAR should overrule it and allow the goal?
They also need to mike up the VAR officials and play the conversations they are having with the ref to everyone!
I honestly think VAR is corrupt as fuck! It really is a case of VAR checking club badge over anything else!

If a goal is given then i dont think VAR should be checking CM's for offside, maybe they should just use it for if a goal is ruled out by the Lino but the player is on, then VAR should overrule it and allow the goal?
They also need to mike up the VAR officials and play the conversations they are having with the ref to everyone!
I honestly think VAR is corrupt as fuck! It really is a case of VAR checking club badge over anything else!
Problem is the Lino's have been instructed not to flag.

If they do flag an argument could be raised that the defence stopped in the belief that the whistle would be blown. (Play to the whistle, I know)

It was a good idea in theory but it's become unworkable now

If they do flag an argument could be raised that the defence stopped in the belief that the whistle would be blown. (Play to the whistle, I know)

Fair point, its all a bit of a mess isnt it! Just scrap it I say, or if they insist on it, just have it in the background, and each team gets 1 call per game where they can ask VAR to confirm something

Absolutely.

VAR hasn't eliminated incorrect decisions, it's just shifted them from the clear & obvious mistakes to the marginal errors - but the errors are still there. So let's just go back to the old mistakes and get rid of the life-sapping hold-ups.

I actually like the new rule whereby the lino doesn't flag and stop play.
Before this rule, I used to get irritated that play was stopped when a player wasn't offside. People talk about goals being ruled out, but they don't talk about the times goals were prevented in the first place.

The problem with it, is, like everything else at the moment, it's being implemented in a daft way. If a player is blatantly offside, flag ffs. It should only ever be used in tight situations. If they're not going to flag when a guy is obviously 10 yards offside, don't even bother having a lino.

I appreciate that, but they're following rules set by the ref association(s)

They're the ones that need to be told what fans what to see. They're the ones that need to say enough is enough, fans don't want goals being disallowed for tiny fractions, that's not what the rule was intended for. Offside was only ever intended to stop teams leaving a man in the penalty box all match goal hanging.

Abso-fucking-lutely.

This pouring over pixel perfect lines and shit is just sapping the spirit and fun of the game. Ruling out goals on technicalities, and spending ages over finding a reason to overturn them - what does this actually add to the game? If it's so close that you need to draw lines on the pitch then it's onside. IMO it should only be offside if there's a clear gap between the attacker and defender. Bodyparts don't count, it's fucking absurd micromanaging of a rule which is being distorted into something it's not meant for.

Football is meant to be fun, it's why we pay so much to see it. Measuring a players nosehairs on extreme closeup might be fun for the guys in the VAR room, in the stadium sitting around waiting to see if we're allowed to celebrate isn't.

I appreciate that, but they're following rules set by the ref association(s)

They're the ones that need to be told what fans what to see. They're the ones that need to say enough is enough, fans don't want goals being disallowed for tiny fractions, that's not what the rule was intended for. Offside was only ever intended to stop teams leaving a man in the penalty box all match goal hanging.
We are in agreement I was giving equal blame to the rulesetters

I think what all this shows is what kind of personality referees have.
They're narcissistic and want to impose strict rules. They want o be seen to be in charge.
Any fan. Any player. Any coach. Anyone other than referee's will say that we DON'T want goals ruled out for limbs. Or for inches.
The player is not getting any advantage.
The only thing that is happening is games getting slowed down, fans joy being taken away, players being left irritated and demotivated.
Take offside out of VAR or use a simple "if I need to draw a line to see if some one is offside, give the goal, move in" tactic.
If it doesn't immediately look offside, it's onside. I would bet the vast majority of football fans would agree that is best. For or against. Just to let us celebrate a goal again. Quite often, we, even at the back of the south east upper can tell when there "might" be an offside. Let's not wait 5 minutes for a few mm to check.

Of course, we the paying fans who make football a world wide money making business have no fucking say!
Now when you sign you have to wait minutes to be sure and you have to bring a lawyer. You have to cheer moderately 😂😂

VAR using arms

VAR using arms

VAR using armpit

The top picture on this shows EVERYTHING wrong with VAR and offside. Never in a million years should anyone look at that and think it needs checking

VAR is a good addition to the game to weed out the cheating ref’s and stop them backing the team they support. But when you give the job of VAR operator to the same dumb biased ref’s you clearly have a problem.
I think this week we have made a step forward, by punishing the VAR man after an almighty fuck up on the weekend.
They clearly have a pact to back each other and their decisions to stop them looking like they made a balls up, but by making them accountable they may think twice now and give the correct decision despite upsetting their mates or the team they support.

VAR using arms

VAR using arms

VAR using armpit

The top picture on this shows EVERYTHING wrong with VAR and offside. Never in a million years should anyone look at that and think it needs checking

That picture is from the back players foot and he is onside because arms dont count.

Firminos armpit is offside (t-shirt line) as you are allowed to score with it, same with a shoulder.

First picture should have been a quick check, they check everything for a goal.

VAR is shit.

VAR is shit as its been implemented, but I don’t think it needs to be that way. The bits that are killing the games are the impossible line drawing (which will never been 100% right anyway as the fps isnt fast enough on the cameras and the cameras are in the wrong places), and the stupid amount of time taken over decisions.
Take out the line drawing nonsense and give the VAR refs 30 seconds or a minute to have a look otherwise the on field decision stands.
The clear and obvious error ruling should apply to everything. If the player isn’t clearly offside when the video is reviewed in real time then the benefit of doubt should be given to the attacking player.

I think if we went back to no VAR, we'd clearly see a lot more errors and there'd be a ton of attention brought to it.

VAR is ok in some ways. Red cards/non red cards, you don't get completely BS red cards anymore and the blatant ones are now never missed. Before VAR, there were some red cards for what looked like foul play but was really nothing. These are game changing plays, so I think this has improved.

Offsides is hit or miss. The blatant ones being corrected is great. No one wants to concede when a player is 4 yards off. The offsides lines being drawn manually and being offsides by a fucking toenail is absolutely ridiculous. That Leicester goal was not offsides and it was complete bullshit it was disallowed. Luckily, we sucked enough that it didn't affect the result.

I think if we went back to no VAR, we'd clearly see a lot more errors and there'd be a ton of attention brought to it.

VAR is ok in some ways. Red cards/non red cards, you don't get completely BS red cards anymore and the blatant ones are now never missed. Before VAR, there were some red cards for what looked like foul play but was really nothing. These are game changing plays, so I think this has improved.

Offsides is hit or miss. The blatant ones being corrected is great. No one wants to concede when a player is 4 yards off. The offsides lines being drawn manually and being offsides by a fucking toenail is absolutely ridiculous. That Leicester goal was not offsides and it was complete bullshit it was disallowed. Luckily, we sucked enough that it didn't affect the result.

This is the conundrum.
Take VAR away and we'll see on field errors. But then the game will be less annoying live for fans in the ground.
Keep it and it carries on getting on peoples nerves.
So really, the only option is fix it. And to fix it, they need to listen to people who aren't referees. And they won't. Because they can't understand what fans want.

Back
Top Bottom