Is booing your own team ever justified?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think booing a team can be fine if you're in a situation that requires booing. Lack of effort all round etc.

Reminds me of when Brighton fans booed their team at times last season when they were fighting middle of the Prem table for the first time in their history and playing good football.
They had a point. They were bored and stifled by Potter and wanted him to unleash their players - based on this season under De Z they were correct. Yes they were in a great position but the fans could see the potential to be even greater. They were playing possession football but not what anyone could call good football

I definitely don’t want Potter thinking about it

They had a point. They were bored and stifled by Potter and wanted him to unleash their players - based on this season under De Z they were correct. Yes they were in a great position but the fans could see the potential to be even greater. They were playing possession football but not what anyone could call good football

I definitely don’t want Potter thinking about it

I don't think booing a team that's performing better than it ever has done since the leagues inception is justified.

That's be like us booing when we're in 2nd place with half a season to go playing possession based football.

Booing is justified for a team that have given up the fight. If a team is fighting relegation but have decides to just reign it in, yeah boo them. They're not fit to wear the shirt with pride.

I think even booing Spurs now when we're in 5th place and still technically in the top four race isn't truly justified. Alot of the players have been disappointing but that coaching team have been a mess this season as well as those above them.

If it’s a real lacklustre and effortless team performance and they get booed off at half or full time, so be it. If it’s a player being subbed who meanders off the pitch with a gentle stroll or one who throws his shirt to the floor in disgust, then they bring it on themselves.
But, in simple terms, there is no upside whatsoever to piling on to one of our own players during a game by booing, purely because he isn’t playing well.

I don't think booing a team that's performing better than it ever has done since the leagues inception is justified.

That's be like us booing when we're in 2nd place with half a season to go playing possession based football.

Booing is justified for a team that have given up the fight. If a team is fighting relegation but have decides to just reign it in, yeah boo them. They're not fit to wear the shirt with pride.

I think even booing Spurs now when we're in 5th place and still technically in the top four race isn't truly justified. Alot of the players have been disappointing but that coaching team have been a mess this season as well as those above them.
Not saying I advocate booing the team here and now. I do advocate booing the club and management for making meek, rigid decisions such as bringing on Sanchez when chasing a goal vs Milan.

I’m ok with stepping it up re: club decision protests , pitch invasions etc and scaling the directors box but agree booing the team whilst 5th isn’t justified. I’m fine for booing when they are shit, players too if it forces the mgt to remove utter dross like Sanchez and PEH from the 11 but that’s for next season when we really tank post Kane

but how do you let the manager know he hasn't got a fucking clue with his subs?
I know what you mean - and it's a truly difficult question to answer, because if Conte/Stellini were aware of/placed any weight on the sentiments expressed here and elsewhere, they'd have sold Sanchez by now.

All I know is that booing a player can be quite an effective way of getting into his head, resulting in him making mistakes. If he's on the pitch, do you really want Sanchez to make MORE mistakes? The lad's clearly affected by the booing.

Hopefully Stellini got the message.

but how do you let the manager know he hasn't got a fucking clue with his subs?
its amazing how many people know exactly when and who to swap out of the team they support, but the people with international coaching badges and a track record of top flight management don't.

If only they would put you into the coaching side of things as a consultant.

Booing of our own players is never justified for performances of the player and the team. I don't care if we were having the worse season ever. It is a written subconscious moral code. There is a time and a place to vent anger and frustration. There is a club complaints procedure and you can write into the spurs official website if you have a player grevience. However the club will only permit booing if the player has behaved unethically such as situations like greenwood, partey, etc. Also if the player antogonises the fans with abusive behaviour then our fanbase can be let off their leashes. Our players should be made to feel adored especially when we are playing at home. Keep the mindless thugs out.

I think the Spurs support in 2023 is different for several reasons.

I grew up with a Spurs team that experienced relegation and a steady climb back towards respectable league finishes and cup wins.

The lowest I ever felt was when Spurs scraped an undeserved 1-1 draw, away at Barnsley, in April 98, during a relegation dogfight.

Woolwich were in their pomp under Wenger which just added to the toxicity of the time.

As a Spurs supporter I expect highs and lows.

I just think the trophy drought has killed us.

I understand that top 4 is the new F.A. Cup win, in terms of the revenue, but it doesn't feel the same.

The game is about glory.

Younger Spurs supporters in 2023 are following a different club to the one I grew up with.

its amazing how many people know exactly when and who to swap out of the team they support, but the people with international coaching badges and a track record of top flight management don't.

Bran Kerr (ex Ireland manager) said the following ;

"The amazing thing was, when I was the Ireland manager, that there were 4 and half million people in Ireland who knew more about football than I did "

:contelol:

If no one booed on Saturday, we'd have finished that match 343, Sanchez still on, probably beaten 3 or 4-1
Scary thought, but our management is so passive, that it takes 60k fans booing to make something happen.
Maybe when we're on day 72 of the manager search, 60k fans can stand outside Levys door booing.

I think the Spurs support in 2023 is different for several reasons.

I grew up with a Spurs team that experienced relegation and a steady climb back towards respectable league finishes and cup wins.

The lowest I ever felt was when Spurs scraped an undeserved 1-1 draw, away at Barnsley, in April 98, during a relegation dogfight.

Woolwich were in their pomp under Wenger which just added to the toxicity of the time.

As a Spurs supporter I expect highs and lows.

I just think the trophy drought has killed us.

I understand that top 4 is the new F.A. Cup win, in terms of the revenue, but it doesn't feel the same.

The game is about glory.

Younger Spurs supporters in 2023 are following a different club to the one I grew up with.
I have experienced the good times and bad times. The 76/77 season was definitely the worst i have experienced as a supporter. It was a very dark time. Some of the spoilt fans on here have never experienced some of the worst periods as a fan. They just want instant success. The 90s was one of the most frustrating periods. I think the success of le arse compounded our under achievements. We played some amazing football and had great players. Klinsmann, Anderton, and ginola are three of my idols. I also loved ruel fox as well. We played some amazing football but never challenged for the title. The tide started to turn in the 2005 season. Since then we caught up with le arse and any fans who supported spurs since around then when we had Carrick, Robbie keane and then berbatov followed in 2006 was when i believed as a supported we would win a ton of trophies but I know how bad things can get. The success we achieved during the say 2015 to 2019 periods have raised the bar of what minimum stands we expect to achieve but no fan should get complacent as transitions periods do come along and can last years.

The game is about glory but also about respect and also I want to be entertained. I would not trade any amount of fa cups or beer cups during the golden age of the 2010s period for anything as we played exquisite football which is a lot better than we have been playing this season. Maybe a league title or champions league would make me want to play less free flowing football but not a basic cup.

I have experienced the good times and bad times. The 76/77 season was definitely the worst i have experienced as a supporter. It was a very dark time. Some of the spoilt fans on here have never experienced some of the worst periods as a fan. They just want instant success. The 90s was one of the most frustrating periods. I think the success of le arse compounded our under achievements. We played some amazing football and had great players. Klinsmann, Anderton, and ginola are three of my idols. I also loved ruel fox as well. We played some amazing football but never challenged for the title. The tide started to turn in the 2005 season. Since then we caught up with le arse and any fans who supported spurs since around then when we had Carrick, Robbie keane and then berbatov followed in 2006 was when i believed as a supported we would win a ton of trophies but I know how bad things can get. The success we achieved during the say 2015 to 2019 periods have raised the bar of what minimum stands we expect to achieve but no fan should get complacent as transitions periods do come along and can last years.

The game is about glory but also about respect and also I want to be entertained. I would not trade any amount of fa cups or beer cups during the golden age of the 2010s period for anything as we played exquisite football which is a lot better than we have been playing this season. Maybe a league title or champions league would make me want to play less free flowing football but not a basic cup.
Listening to Levy talking at the Cambridge Union was interesting and insightful.

I laughed when he spoke about the Women's team and women's football generally.

His irritation with losing revenue due to having a women's team and how women's football generally is not self sustaining, regarding revenue streams and demand, was comical.

The man just cannot let a penny go unaccounted for.

He really is a pillock.

I was thinking to myself, while he spoke, imagine if he GAVE a thousand tickets for every home game, to young girls and boys, who play football, live in the area and probably wouldn't be able to get to see a Premier League game any other way.

Kids remember the first professional game of football they ever went to.

They never forget.

Levy is Spurs Chairman and he clearly doesn't get it.

Last edited:
I know what you mean - and it's a truly difficult question to answer, because if Conte/Stellini were aware of/placed any weight on the sentiments expressed here and elsewhere, they'd have sold Sanchez by now.

All I know is that booing a player can be quite an effective way of getting into his head, resulting in him making mistakes. If he's on the pitch, do you really want Sanchez to make MORE mistakes? The lad's clearly affected by the booing.

Hopefully Stellini got the message.
the booing is a result of him making mistakes every time hes out there. you cant expect fans to spend their time going to games, forking out a lot of money on an expensive day and just take shhit. they have a right to boo. they are booing for a reason they are having the piss taken out of them.

if youre gonna have a big boy stadium and charge some of the highest ticket prices going. the product needs to be top tier simple as that. fans wont put up with donkeys and incompetent cunts running the team.

you are such a sad little cuck its embarrassing. yea the italian mug was right to bring the donkey on who cant stand on his feet!! well done.. im not wasting anymore of my time on you, youre a pathetic little gimp.

the booing is a result of him making mistakes every time hes out there. you cant expect fans to spend their time going to games, forking out a lot of money on an expensive day and just take shhit. they have a right to boo. they are booing for a reason they are having the piss taken out of them.

if youre gonna have a big boy stadium and charge some of the highest ticket prices going. the product needs to be top tier simple as that. fans wont put up with donkeys and incompetent cunts running the team.
Sanchez hasn't made mistakes EVERY time he's played, but I get what you mean.

Yes, I too fork out loads of money to go & watch Spurs play and I get as annoyed as you do - the raw emotion is why I love the game - and I moan and I swear and I cheer and I jump for joy too, but I won't take part in collective booing of one of my own team, for the reasons I've already stated.

I go to WHL to SUPPORT The Spurs. I am a SUPPORTER. My own loudest noises are reserved for the goals we score and those cheating opposition cunts who sit on the grass, pretending to be hurt. Any poor play from us (and there's plenty of it!!!) gets a moment of cursing, followed by shouts of ENCOURAGEMENT.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

:dierpochhug:

If no one booed on Saturday, we'd have finished that match 343, Sanchez still on, probably beaten 3 or 4-1
Scary thought, but our management is so passive, that it takes 60k fans booing to make something happen.
Maybe when we're on day 72 of the manager search, 60k fans can stand outside Levys door booing.
60k fans booing? What drugs were you on?

Back
Top Bottom