Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

CC0-B5264-13-D3-4262-B397-FDA51986-B854.jpg

He at least realizes you have to put players in the right position to succeed.

Royal, Porro and Dier were the examples today.

Our wingers and midfield are poor though.

make him permanent
His starting lineup was better than we've mostly had all season. No Dier, No Perisic, No Kulusevski thats a good start. But it was also obvious that we needed a 3rd man in midfield today. If he sees that and makes the right changes the next game, then maybe he might be worth persevering with.

If he reverts to the 'mates' and doesnt make the tactical changes needed, then he's got to go.

I would have liked to have seen 3 in the middle, but I admire him for trying something new. Overall you can say it worked as we won, and kept a rare clean sheet. There will be stronger challenges ahead but I’m sick to death of the same players in a 343 so this was a welcomed surprise.

Next week, please:

Big Man
Emerson / Romero / Davies
Skipp
Porro / Sarr ---------- PEH / Kulu
Kane / Son​

Doing a solid job and really appreciate the defensive change today. But people acting like we should hire him are clowns. They act like we’ve been relegation fodder all season and he’s making us competitive. We were in the top 4 when Conte was let go. This is what we have been all season. Good at home but overall very inconsistent. The new manager bounce is very much a thing and we’ve barely gotten that. You need a lot more than good vibes to be a top coach at a big club and compete on multiple fronts. Hopefully this is the spring for him to get a job in the championship.

He obviously doesn't get taken seriously for obvious reasons, but I'm starting to think he does have a footballing brain.

Clearly has his own ideas, and they are having a positive impact.

If he sticks around I think he can help the next manager, not merely as Levy's eyes and ears in the dressing room.

Might be able to go into the lower leagues and prove himself.

Have to say, saw some actual common sense managing today. Removing his mate Dier. Putting Porro in midfield. taking off Kulusevski. Going for a 2 up top.

Some positive changes

He obviously doesn't get taken seriously for obvious reasons, but I'm starting to think he does have a footballing brain.

Clearly has his own ideas, and they are having a positive impact.

If he sticks around I think he can help the next manager, not merely as Levy's eyes and ears in the dressing room.

Might be able to go into the lower leagues and prove himself.
I don’t trust Levy to secure anyone better suited to our set up than Mason. Give him the gig

Interesting comments on the tactics from Ryan Mason's press conference.

He's clearly working hard to get a more positive, less passive, mindset, and re-introduce an actual press.

----------------------------

Mason: Ultimately we wanted to engage Palace higher up the pitch because we know they have some individual brilliance, and we wanted to avoid them getting the ball in our final third and the box running at us. So we added a sixth man into the press and tried to be a bit more aggressive and I have to compliment the players because when you've been working in a certain way for so long to make that change at this stage of the season it's very positive for me.

What did you make of Emerson Royal today, coming straight back into the team?

Yeah he was outstanding. I thought the whole team without the ball worked hard, they worked together. And obviously Eme has had a period out. But I trust him. We trust him. And I thought today he did a very good job along with the rest of the players on the pitch. When you keep a clean sheet it's a collective, it's everyone and everyone fought for the clean sheet. The players on the pitch but also the ones who didn't because in the training week we've all worked hard together and they're the results you want.

Pedro Porro as a right winger, who knew?

Pedro has been quite effective for us, even in the previous system. He's scored goals, he's created chances. He's a good guy, he works hard, he fights for the team and I thought we saw that today.

Was Porro one of the biggest beneficiaries of the change in system?

Yeah, he's affected the game today with and without the ball. That was the job and the task that we set him. I'm very pleased. Very pleased with his performance for the team because we saw a desire to help his team-mate from a defensive point of view but also not losing that attacking threat that we wanted him to give us and he's been part of a clean sheet for the group but also got the assist for Harry, which is good for him.

Every word Ryan Mason said on Kane, Emerson, Porro & how he changed Spurs system

That’s really the only argument for Mason.
I also don’t think he would be a bad appointment - good vibe imo. Slow start and just sack him, start well and he could do well. I think Nagelsman plays the right style of football, but not convinced how he will sync with the miser

Interesting comments on the tactics from Ryan Mason's press conference.

He's clearly working hard to get a more positive, less passive, mindset, and re-introduce an actual press.

----------------------------

Mason: Ultimately we wanted to engage Palace higher up the pitch because we know they have some individual brilliance, and we wanted to avoid them getting the ball in our final third and the box running at us. So we added a sixth man into the press and tried to be a bit more aggressive and I have to compliment the players because when you've been working in a certain way for so long to make that change at this stage of the season it's very positive for me.

What did you make of Emerson Royal today, coming straight back into the team?

Yeah he was outstanding. I thought the whole team without the ball worked hard, they worked together. And obviously Eme has had a period out. But I trust him. We trust him. And I thought today he did a very good job along with the rest of the players on the pitch. When you keep a clean sheet it's a collective, it's everyone and everyone fought for the clean sheet. The players on the pitch but also the ones who didn't because in the training week we've all worked hard together and they're the results you want.

Pedro Porro as a right winger, who knew?

Pedro has been quite effective for us, even in the previous system. He's scored goals, he's created chances. He's a good guy, he works hard, he fights for the team and I thought we saw that today.

Was Porro one of the biggest beneficiaries of the change in system?

Yeah, he's affected the game today with and without the ball. That was the job and the task that we set him. I'm very pleased. Very pleased with his performance for the team because we saw a desire to help his team-mate from a defensive point of view but also not losing that attacking threat that we wanted him to give us and he's been part of a clean sheet for the group but also got the assist for Harry, which is good for him.

Every word Ryan Mason said on Kane, Emerson, Porro & how he changed Spurs system

Change of system instead of formation.

Mason is a crafty one.

Back
Top Bottom