Man Utd buyers might change their focus to Spurs.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want Spurs to be taken over by Sheikh Jassim?

• Total voters
I don't know the real details or nuances of how Sheik Jsssim actually came by the money he's looking to invest.

See below.

A little published information about Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani.
This man is a member of the Qatar royal family (who have net worth of £275bn (he himself is estimated at 'only' £1bn so work out where the funding is coming from) and the son of an ex prime minister of Qatar. He is chairman of the Qatar Islamic Bank which has the QIA (Qatar Investment Authority - assets £475bn) as their major shareholder. The QIA is the Qatar Royal Family owned investment fund.
So yes, he is an agent for their 'government' or their Ruling Family. And yes their royal family and the 'country' do have extreme negative laws and commit human rights abuses against many people including very publicly against women and LBGT communities.
Then there's their record of illegal working practices during the building of stadia for the world cup - resulting in probably hundreds (nobody knows the truth) of migrant workers deaths. Incidentally the population of Qatar is around 2.7m but only 300,000 or so are Qatar nationals - the rest are migrant workers many of whom (the manual labourers) suffer terrible conditions and discrimination.
And they might like to be seen to help 'broke' peace deals in the Middle East - but the leadership of the political arm of Hamas is based in and operates from Quatar, so they have a vested interest in their aims. And the last thing that Quatar needs is a long and widespread war on their borders.
So can we really believe that Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani is remotely interested in the success of Tottenham Hotspur FC (he was a lifelong Man Utd fan 2 months ago) or would it simply be a case of sportswashing? I know my opinion - I have no interest whatsoever and if it were to happen it would be the end of my 55 years supporting the club I love.
Not a great picture for ownership of our club is it?

How many in here have actually done any research to find out where the Jassim money is coming from?

Probably a safe assumption but it's still assumption for most.

See post above.

Can't recall where, but I noted the same some time ago without engage in any great degree of research... Probably just from reading a small article about the Man U links.

Last edited:
When you see the Glazers refusing to sell and Chelsea's new owners throwing money around it does make you wonder what's around the corner.

Seem's to be increasing interest in the PL from the US and particularly the idea that it can be monetised further in future.

If that is the case I can't see Levy cashing in his chips yet

I'm not suggesting that much, but the topic of sports-washing in football isn't a new thing and you don't have to research "every" club to get the gist.......... Certain clubs are glaringly obvious starting points ; not to mention the last world cup.

I can understand questioning some of the individual opinions stated above; but questioning the facts of the matter when you can just as easily google them doesn't suggest a genuine interest as much as it does a casually dismissive approach to the topic....

If you're not interested, then fine; just don't get involved.🤷‍♂️

It is obvious... No disrespect; but you sound either naive or in denial.
I was playing devils advocate a bit to see if any of it was real or just imagined. I doubt googling it would get me a clearer idea because it’s all written by someone with their own agenda. Even within this thread there’s no conclusive evidence of anything but hearsay.

I was playing devils advocate a bit to see if any of it was real or just imagined. I doubt googling it would get me a clearer idea because it’s all written by someone with their own agenda. Even within this thread there’s no conclusive evidence of anything but hearsay.

It's not hearsay; the heinous actions of these regimes are commonly and widely acknowledged/documented.

WDF are you even debating here?

Poll options are taking a bit of piss. The issue with the Qataris is they're slave owning human rights abusers, not that they don't extend their pinky when drinking a cuppa.

There's no option up there I can take seriously..... All the "no" options imply either low-key racism or being a so-called Levy-bot.

I'm saying no, as our previous issues haven't been down to long term financial instability.

More to do with not having the right or not enough football people at the club. Something that could be an issue with whoever the owners are.

Ultimately Enic, while we are lacking in the trophy department under their stewardship continue to do good off the field, which holds the club in good stead. Hopefully we can now see real achievements on the field.

Also I can't stand these money clubs so wouldn't wanna join them

Last edited:
I CBF getting to the granular level of fandom of researching the shadow activities of every PL club owner. I’m just going to assume if it was a big enough problem it’d be obvious.

importedImage191973_header

Last edited:
When you see the Glazers refusing to sell and Chelsea's new owners throwing money around it does make you wonder what's around the corner.

Seem's to be increasing interest in the PL from the US and particularly the idea that it can be monetised further in future.

If that is the case I can't see Levy cashing in his chips yet

I think a Super League is inevitable and that's what the American owners have their eye on.

So you do understand why people have wanted them gone most of the time; we didnt win very much.
That isn’t true.
There is a ten year period (if not decade 2010-2019) where we won more than any other period in our history including the 1960s. Best string of league positions we’ve ever recorded.
We won plenty — we just didn’t win enough ‘big’ games.

He’s not the first. Clubs like Man City, PSG and Chelsea have shown the damaging effect that this type of investment has on football. Sport thrives on competition and people who command the wealth of a nation and are motivated to spend that wealth to achieve success kill competition.
Pretty sure he's the grandson of the owner of PSG.

That isn’t true.
There is a ten year period (if not decade 2010-2019) where we won more than any other period in our history including the 1960s. Best string of league positions we’ve ever recorded.
We won plenty — we just didn’t win enough ‘big’ games.
Yes we won some individual matches but the last 23 years has been one of the worst 23 year period in terms of winning a title or a cup. That is the main reason why people have wanted the current owners gone. Its just easier to ignore that right now because we are top of the league currently.

Back
Top Bottom