Big case tomorrow, regarding FIFA/UEFA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Real Madrid fans aggressively want it because they feel like they are bigger than La liga and probably even the Champions League.

In reality, nobody else in football really needs Real Madrid or Barca. the Galacticos was a bygone era, the Premier League is this era and even in Spain the Premier League is massively popular.
Bit surprised fans of clubs with a lot of history with the European cup/CL would want out of the competition

I'm so indifferent to this news, we have a Super League in all but name anyway.

Same clubs competing in the CL and to win it. Same clubs hoovering up the best talents and paying the most wages.

Anything that pisses off UEFA and FIFA is fine with me, especially the latter organisation which is more corrupt now than it's ever been.

If it happens, it happens.

With English, German and French clubs not interested, could they pivot to a southern European league? Best of Spain, Italy and Portugal. Would have some massive clubs and be pretty marketable
You think that would make more money or be more prestigious than the champions league?

The idea is dead and I’m so proud the people pushed back against the ESL. Hilarious that people will take so much bullshit but fuck with their football league and everyone’s in the streets.

They didn't get PSG, Bayern were never fully on board. Not even sure City ever fully committed either.

Then they got the backlash from fans and clubs started dropping like flys

Either way, no fans = no party. Right now this is just about leverage with UEFA. Unless something drastic changes.
Bayern were not on board at all. Wouldn't get passed with their ownership structure

I don't think so. One thing is completely clear and that's the fans absolutely don't want it, most importantly it's the fans of the big 6 don't want it (and those fans of Bundesliga). I haven't got the steer on what Serie A and La Liga fans feel, I suspect there might be quite a few of them as they can see their leagues/clubs falling behind the PL????

I think the PR against it has played a blinder. I bet if you asked random fans they would think being part of the super league means leaving the PL, which of course it didn’t. The new PL rules basically prevent any of the clubs joining it now as the fines are unlimited.

You think that would make more money or be more prestigious than the champions league?

The idea is dead and I’m so proud the people pushed back against the ESL. Hilarious that people will take so much bullshit but fuck with their football league and everyone’s in the streets.
Wouldn't replace the champions league but essentially be a new top flight for those leagues. Could have enough big clubs to compete with the pl.

I don't get the point of this competition. There are three tiers in this proposed competition, which we already have with the UCL, Europa and Conference Leagues. Instead, there are less clubs so more money for a select few?

Also, any of the big clubs can stay in the top league and finish 15th in their own domestic competition. How does that make sense?

I don't get the point of this competition. There are three tiers in this proposed competition, which we already have with the UCL, Europa and Conference Leagues. Instead, there are less clubs so more money for a select few?

Also, any of the big clubs can stay in the top league and finish 15th in their own domestic competition. How does that make sense?

Competition is designed to placate the big clubs, it's basically a CL on drugs but if you're a founder you don't need to qualify for it.

Basically it comes down to money, the likes of Real/Barca/Juve are pissed because their leagues aren't bringing in the money like they used to so they're falling behind in terms of finances and prestige compared to Prem or Nouveou rich teams but this format guarantees them much more money than UEFA ever could which is why they are pushing it.

Competition is designed to placate the big clubs, it's basically a CL on drugs but if you're a founder you don't need to qualify for it.

Basically it comes down to money, the likes of Real/Barca/Juve are pissed because their leagues aren't bringing in the money like they used to so they're falling behind in terms of finances and prestige compared to Prem or Nouveou rich teams but this format guarantees them much more money than UEFA ever could which is why they are pushing it.

Continental football should be earned on sporting merit. Ridiculous to guarantee any club automatic inclusion.

Continental football should be earned on sporting merit. Ridiculous to guarantee any club automatic inclusion.

It should but UEFA are hardly doing a good job themselves, finishing 5th in your league should never guarantee you a CL place, at the same time you shouldn't be able to finish 3rd in your group which put you into the Europa League.

The truth is whatever format they come up with is killing football and sporting fairness either way, both will do their best to look after the legacy clubs, I don't think either are helping the football pyramid, like smaller teams aren't going to be able to close the gap on the big boys either way.

How would those clubs qualify for the champions league? Doesn’t seem possible to play both.
It’s to replace the UCL/EL/ECL. The clubs want out of the UEFA structure.

The masses were deliberately misled into believing domestic competition would be the one replaced and that it wouldn’t be an open competition.

UEFA sucks.

It’s to replace the UCL/EL/ECL. The clubs want out of the UEFA structure.

The masses were deliberately misled into believing domestic competition would be the one replaced and that it wouldn’t be an open competition.

UEFA sucks.
I was responding to the claim that it wouldn’t replace the CL.

The masses were tricked into believing it wouldn’t be an open competition? Tell that to the U.K. government who also believed it would be a closed shop. Do you have a source for that?

Back
Top Bottom