Big case tomorrow, regarding FIFA/UEFA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If no one watches it. if the direct debits do not roll in the scheme collapses.

The scheme needs acceptance from the football public. They are no where near achieving that acceptance.

It wouldn't fail on that basis though. Outside of the hardcore fans who wouldn't watch it, there's a massive global audience who couldn't give a shit about what the SL does to our domestic leagues. They follow players as much as clubs these days.

View: https://x.com/SkySportsNews/status/1737785979279122481?s=20

The hypocrisy of these two Clubs is shameful. Between them they have single-handedly fucked La Liga, squeezing out every last drop of cash into their own pockets, making the league a two Club League. Reap what you sow.

That’s 100% La Liga’s fault.

They consciously and short-sightedly took the decision that “we have Madrid vs Barca, Ronaldo vs Messi, we don’t need to promote or market anything else.

One upon a time England wasn’t so different. In the late 2000’s, Richard Scudamore who was then the public face of the Prem board, essentially said “we only care about the then top 4”.

The prem would be just as boring and closed off of it wasn’t for Spurs and City + a fairer TV deal.

Anderlecht & PSV are 2 domestically dominant clubs with good European history. But yeah Sheffield united vs Crystal Palace is more interesting lol
To be honest.unless Spurs are competing in one of the tournaments,achieved on merit (sort of , in the case of the Champions league) ,i really couldnt give a flying fuck about European football.Just my opinion.
I get a much bigger buzz out watching one of our rivals lose to someone in the league cup ,than watching Barca v Real madrid etc.

If no one watches it. if the direct debits do not roll in the scheme collapses.

The scheme needs acceptance from the football public. They are no where near achieving that acceptance.
Not from the UK or Germany, but apparently the majority of Spanish fans are behind it as they mostly support 2 clubs. Meanwhile I imagine more North American, African and Asian fans would be receptive. They want to see the best players play against each other by and large (not true for all of course but definitely a good proportion)

If I am honest I would just like the European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup back.

The Conference League is a banana joke competition, the Europa League isn’t a patch on the UEFA Cup and the Champions League is filled up with clubs who mostly aren’t champions.

Reform is massively needed but not the Super League money grabber type.

It wouldn't fail on that basis though. Outside of the hardcore fans who wouldn't watch it, there's a massive global audience who couldn't give a shit about what the SL does to our domestic leagues. They follow players as much as clubs these days.
I don't buy that. Football is a heady mixture of fans, traditions, sporting excellence and rivalry. Take ireland as an example. Man united despit being quite ordinary for a decade are still the biggest club in the land.

Who wants to watch real.madrid Saudi Arabia. With out the huge context of rivalries history and a raging atmosphere. If the product is bad they won't watch.

To be honest.unless Spurs are competing in one of the tournaments,achieved on merit (sort of , in the case of the Champions league) ,i really couldnt give a flying fuck about European football.Just my opinion.
I get a much bigger buzz out watching one of our rivals lose to someone in the league cup ,than watching Barca v Real madrid etc.
The difference is we love a football club iver anything else. The new fan loves entertainment and the best players and football banter accounts on social media. That's who they are targeting and we can get fucked

Who wants to watch real.madrid Saudi Arabia. With out the huge context of rivalries history and a raging atmosphere. If the product is bad they won't watch.

But they won't though. That's the point.

The top tier will only consist of 16 teams - and while it's possible that a Saudi club could spend their way into winning Blue, then Gold... it's somewhat unlikely in the short to medium term.

Don't think so.

Since Super league was launched UEFA has had to give European Club Association (representing about 500 european clubs including Spurs, Bayern, other PL clubs ) a much greater say in competitions etc. which is good - the more power to that body to get a level of control over UEFA the better. That body will not support a Super league.

The difference is we love a football club iver anything else. The new fan loves entertainment and the best players and football banter accounts on social media. That's who they are targeting and we can get fucked
I hate the Super League idea on principle, but are you sure that if Spurs taking on Real Madrid with some Angeball was on the agenda you wouldn't watch?

But they won't though. That's the point.

The top tier will only consist of 16 teams - and while it's possible that a Saudi club could spend their way into winning Blue, then Gold... it's somewhat unlikely in the short to medium term.
With out the support of domestic audiences it fails. That was the lesson of the last attempt when they called there own bluff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think so.

Since Super league was launched UEFA has had to give European Club Association (representing about 500 european clubs including Spurs, Bayern, other PL clubs ) a much greater say in competitions etc. which is good - the more power to that body to get a level of control over UEFA the better. That body will not support a Super league.
Exactly this.

Next season’s incoming CL format was a way of UEFA compromising

View: https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1737810354674036876?t=RKSLb7V-XQZ2GXKiwFAY3Q&s=19

Fans’ backlash immediate against a possible misguided, much-derided European Super League. “There is no place for an ill-conceived breakaway super league,” says Kevin Miles of the Football Supporters’ Association. “Supporters, players and clubs have already made clear they don’t want a stitched-up competition - we all want to see the trigger pulled on the walking dead monstrosity that is the European Zombie League.

"While the corpse might continue to twitch in the European courts, no English side will be joining. The incoming independent regulator will block any club from competing in domestic competition if they join a breakaway super league. Success must be earned on the pitch, not stitched-up in boardrooms.” 🙌@WeAreTheFSA.

I hate the Super League idea on principle, but are you sure that if Spurs taking on Real Madrid with some Angeball was on the agenda you wouldn't watch?

How those opposed to the Super League would be watching

sergio.jpg

That’s 100% La Liga’s fault.

They consciously and short-sightedly took the decision that “we have Madrid vs Barca, Ronaldo vs Messi, we don’t need to promote or market anything else.

One upon a time England wasn’t so different. In the late 2000’s, Richard Scudamore who was then the public face of the Prem board, essentially said “we only care about the then top 4”.

The prem would be just as boring and closed off of it wasn’t for Spurs and City + a fairer TV deal.
It took 3 to tango (both Clubs and La Liga).

Whilst every Governing Body of the game from FIFA through to regional FA Grassroots areas can be found woefully mismanaging the game the one thing that can't be aimed at the PL is its distribution of funds has benefited those that play in the comp. The fact it's so wealthy there are criticisms that this distribution should be greater spread throughout the pyramid perhaps.

I don't know enough about the history of La Liga so happy to be corrected but isn't the latest stance from La Liga being at odds with Real Madrid and mainly Barca by imposing restrictions and fines due to their financial mismanagement and now the ref bribery case that's pending? Their attitude has dramatically changed in recent years I think???

Back
Top Bottom