Financial Fair Play

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I haven't thought this through, or read into it at all. But it does begin to feel like the football authorities are finally making moves to get some modicum of sense back within the financial structures of the game.

Still think Chelsea and City should be sent to the bottom of the pile to start again though.
It’s our league who don’t punish clubs properly. Juve were relegated a few years ago. Thrown out of europe this year for financial stuff.
Rangers relegated to the bottom division in Scotland. Marseille have been relegated in the past .
If City are guilty relegation is the only punishment.
Im not saying the Prem Lge hasn’t got the bottle to do it but I think there may be some influence from the government. Recently a company from Abu Dhabi made a 25 Billion investment in this country. Who is the chairman of this company…..some bloke called Mubarak, oh yes the chairman of Man City.
I fear the worst unfortunately.
Dont think it will be the first time, the government were involved . The Newcastle sale to the Saudis only went through because of government interference. Various emails printed in the press.
Sale was done and then announced to the the clubs 15 mins later. We see the Saudis as @llies and sell them billions of pounds worth of arms per year.
This is the big problem with countries owning a club, they can influence governments and you c@nnot get at them. The Times had a number of stories on Abramovich but the owners wouldn’t print them…..so said top reporter, Matt Lawton. Terrified of him suing them into oblivion if the stories were not 100%.

Isn't that the same / similar to Juventus. They did swap deals inflating both buying and selling players fee. They broke their FA rules, European rules and are being investigated for fraud in their national courts. This seems the same

Totally different scale and also trading between clubs within jurisdictions with different rules - does Saudi have anything vaguely similar to FFP - and with ownerships where mega billionaire families can have one member owning a UK club, another owning a Saudi club and another running the state airline/hotel chain etc which gives big £m sponsorships to clubs with minimal commercial benefit to the sponsorship company

All of the above means its very difficult to demonstrate in a court of law what anyone on the outside will say 'if it looks like a lemon, tastes like a lemon and smells like a lemon ..... it probably is a lemon, no further tests required'

No mention of Chavs or City? Are they being sent directly prison without passing "Go" ?
I'm with a guy who is into all this legal shite. He reckons Wolves, Forest and everton AGAIN, are in for some bad news.

Woolwich, Chelsea, Newcastle and Villa all have to sell before they can buy.. The hammer is coming down on a few very very soon.

I'm with a guy who is into all this legal shite. He reckons Wolves, Forest and everton AGAIN, are in for some bad news.

Woolwich, Chelsea, Newcastle and Villa all have to sell before they can buy.. The hammer is coming down on a few very very soon.
Until City get punished it's all completely meaningless.

Until City get punished it's all completely meaningless.

They have made so many breaches that it is expected to take 2 years before it’s all done, sadly that is legal process. Chelsea have the same huge backlog of shit due to Abramovich.

These ones against Forest and the like are small and simple by comparison so can be dealt with quickly.

They have made so many breaches that it is expected to take 2 years before it’s all done, sadly that is legal process. Chelsea have the same huge backlog of shit due to Abramovich.

These ones against Forest and the like are small and simple by comparison so can be dealt with quickly.
I know but it all seems backwards to me. Basically break the rules so much that you get more time to wriggle out of it.

I find it hard to think there's charges against Forest, Wolves, and Everton that couldn't be directed towards City, even if City have plenty of others due their way.

Punish City now, then add further punishments later once addressed.

I know but it all seems backwards to me. Basically break the rules so much that you get more time to wriggle out of it.

I find it hard to think there's charges against Forest, Wolves, and Everton that couldn't be directed towards City, even if City have plenty of others due their way.

Punish City now, then add further punishments later once addressed.

I agree but sadly both City and Chavs will have top lawyers. If the charges are done piecemeal or too quick they will use any loophole to get out of them. Only way to nail them is to do it properly which takes time unfortunately.

I agree but sadly both City and Chavs will have top lawyers. If the charges are done piecemeal or too quick they will use any loophole to get out of them. Only way to nail them is to do it properly which takes time unfortunately.
Good point and you're right.

I wish that wasn't the case, as I'm sure you do too.

Apparently, Woolwich, Newcastle, Villa and wolves cannot sign anyone until they have sold players.
The league is ours 🤣

Reading the comments in that thread made me realise that people just assume we’ve bought our way into being a club fighting it out at the top of the league. Not even funny really. Doesn’t seem they realise the reason why we’ve struggled to win trophies is because of being hamstrung by the refusal of our owners refusing to put their own money in yet we get the lack of trophies as a reason to bash us. Frustrating but just goes to show how uninformed people are.

I’ve been banging the drum recently, albeit hopefully, that a lack of a Saudi Arabian market in the summer might be a problem for these clubs if players start to not want to move there. Unfortunately though I could see a lot of clubs using a stagnant transfer market as one excuse to try and get these rules relaxed a bit.

I’ve been banging the drum recently, albeit hopefully, that a lack of a Saudi Arabian market in the summer might be a problem for these clubs if players start to not want to move there. Unfortunately though I could see a lot of clubs using a stagnant transfer market as one excuse to try and get these rules relaxed a bit.
Possibly but we tend to get stuck on oil state propaganda jobs and not on the average club owner. Lot of owners will see this as pain on the path to clubs making them more money.

It’s our league who don’t punish clubs properly. Juve were relegated a few years ago. Thrown out of europe this year for financial stuff.
Rangers relegated to the bottom division in Scotland. Marseille have been relegated in the past .
If City are guilty relegation is the only punishment.
Im not saying the Prem Lge hasn’t got the bottle to do it but I think there may be some influence from the government. Recently a company from Abu Dhabi made a 25 Billion investment in this country. Who is the chairman of this company…..some bloke called Mubarak, oh yes the chairman of Man City.
I fear the worst unfortunately.
Dont think it will be the first time, the government were involved . The Newcastle sale to the Saudis only went through because of government interference. Various emails printed in the press.
Sale was done and then announced to the the clubs 15 mins later. We see the Saudis as @llies and sell them billions of pounds worth of arms per year.
This is the big problem with countries owning a club, they can influence governments and you c@nnot get at them. The Times had a number of stories on Abramovich but the owners wouldn’t print them…..so said top reporter, Matt Lawton. Terrified of him suing them into oblivion if the stories were not 100%.
Rangers weren't relegated, they went into administration then liquidated. A new Rangers club was allowed to start in League Two, they didn't even start at the bottom of the Scottish pyramid.

They didn't really get any punishment other than the initial points deduction for administration.

Until City get punished it's all completely meaningless

With absolutely no legal training or idea at all really my gut feeling with City is their case is so big, complex that there's so many more loose ends to make it watertight so they're going after the lower hanging fruit first then when the hammer does fall on City, and falls heavily, they can't whinge they're being singled out.

The big things City and Chelsea were caught for were under a different regime. A combo of multi-club ownership, rewards for success, fake sponsorship deals and relative sobriety mean they aren't too vulnerable under the present rules. They will get done, but that is part of the urgency to do lots of other clubs first.

Back
Top Bottom