Should Levy Go Too?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should Levy go with AVB?

• Yes

Votes: 55 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 88 61.5%

• Total voters
The thing I don't get is that if ENIC want to flip the club for as much as possible, why don't they increase the value of the club by making it stable (and great)?

Or have their accountants already derived that a club's resale value is locked up in assets like a training center and that trying to increase value by performance on the pitch is, ultimately, a losing proposition? (We'd never recoup in tat/tv money/CL bonuses what we'd have to spend to get there)

I think ENIC do know the value of sustained performance on the pitch, just that they've not been very good at delivering it.

I don't think AVB has done well at all. I think at the time of his signing he was a very sensible appointment.
I agree, i didnt want harry gone, it was the wrong decision but when AVB was appointed i thought he was the best option.

But please dont try and rewrite history with redards to redknapps acheivements

1. If your happy with one trophy in 12 years, that great, I'm not.
It's not ideal, but let's not try to pretend we were rolling in silverware before he turned up.
2. I already said that our league positions were better under Arry, and although the Dutch idiot left us in 19th spot, we were better for a short while under him also. Yes, we are a mid table side. We are presently 7th, and likely to be lower than that by Jan 1st. If you think we will finish any higher than that this, think again.
I'll happily bet you £10 to the charity of your choice that we finish higher than 7th.
3. It's amazing how you are still defending the Portuguese moron, after the mess he has left us in.
I'm not defending AVB, but I thought at the time of his appointment up until pretty recently that he was a sensible man to employ.
4. Mate, in business you can't be a "cunt" to negotiate with, or people won't negotiate with you. It's the same in any business. SIMPLES
We've successfully negotiated with clubs to sign 15 players in the past two years. Other clubs seem fairly happy negotiating with us. No chairman allows their players to leave as soon as the first offer comes in.
5. You have given so many examples of how well he did selling our best players, personally I would prefer to keep them. For me supporting Spurs is about watching the nest players, and wining games, for you it appears to the figure on the bottom od a spread sheet. How strange, but your choice !!
Mate, they refused to play for us. You're living in a fantasy land if you think we could have held on to them. Woolwich were bullied into selling Henry. Man United were bullied into selling Cristiano Ronaldo. This stuff happens. The sales of Berbatov and Keane funded the purchases of Modric and Bale. The sales of Modric and Bale funded the purchases of Vertonghen, Lloris, Lamela and Eriksen. We don't have the financial firepower to sign world class players without buying players with potential, selling and reinvesting. We're not the kind of club that can throw £50m at a striker in his pomp and if that doesn't work out throw £30m at another one ala Chelsea or Real Madrid.
6. What fooking stadium are you talking about my friend. We are no nearer building this stadium than we were 5 years ago, apart from having a bit of derelict ground to the north of the stadium.
We are, you just don't know anything about it. Don't let that stop you spouting shit though
The fact that he tried to move us east (and he did) is something I will never forgive him for. I would never have watched Spurs ever again, and sent Levy the bill once I had had my tattoo removed.
You don't know that he did for certain, but I agree it would have been a terrible, terrible thing to have done.
Ultimately, the club is no more successful than it was when he took over.
We're much more successful in the league, we're a much more attractive prospect for players. We're a much bigger name across Europe. We've played in the quarter finals of the Champions League and were a penalty shoot out away from winning back to back League Cups a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
I agree, i didnt want harry gone, it was the wrong decision but when AVB was appointed i thought he was the best option.

But please dont try and rewrite history with redards to redknapps acheivements

2 x 4th and a 5th, a champions league quarter final, and the most entertaining football I think I have ever watched. I will always look back on those three seasons with great fondness.

The one thing I will say against Levy is that if it is true he has asked AVB to play 4-4-2, or in fact asked him to do anything in particular on the field related whatsoever, that is absolutely terrifying and I hope he fucks off.

Just think if we had the Cardiff chairman...who would want us to play in red and take the cockerel of our badge, or the Hull chairman who would want to change our name to the London Cocks...sometimes it's better the devil you know.

Just think if we had the Cardiff chairman...who would want us to play in red and take the cockerel of our badge, or the Hull chairman who would want to change our name to the London Cocks...sometimes it's better the devil you know.

You shouldn't accept shit because someone could be worse. That's a very negative attitude.

The facts are levy has fucked up every managerial appointment he has made. Sold all our best players, bought some derelict land and now, it seems, is trying to meddle in affairs on the pitch.

There is a common denominator to our misery. And it needs cracking like a boiled egg.

OK, just don't fucking moan if we actually do get a total mong taking over....Rangers fans welcomed that guy White with open arms...until they found out he bought the club with the future season ticket returns.

OK, just don't fucking moan if we actually do get a total mong taking over....Rangers fans welcomed that guy White with open arms...until they found out he bought the club with the future season ticket returns.

Don't worry mate. Your man is here for the duration.

I'm just a mug who pays for the occasional ticket and burger. Despite what you may think I don't actually have that much influence at the club.

Well he wanted to take us to Stratford and do you honestly think we would have stuck with the name "Tottenham"? Around that time it was Spurs this Spurs that.

Well he wanted to take us to Stratford and do you honestly think we would have stuck with the name "Tottenham"? Around that time it was Spurs this Spurs that.

I always question the sincerity of levy in the move. Whilst it's politically correct to say the move was genuine I think his pulled the wool over the eyes of the city of London and forced them to give him what he wants...master class in my opinion..

I always question the sincerity of levy in the move. Whilst it's politically correct to say the move was genuine I think his pulled the wool over the eyes of the city of London and forced them to give him what he wants...master class in my opinion..

What did he get from the city of London then bruce?

Enlighten me.

No chance the minute we got that deal done he would have sold us to AEG.

Many clubs who were better than us or roughly the same level as us when he took over have done less. Newcastle, Everton, Aston Villa, Leeds, Southampton, Sunderland, Ipswich are all potless. In the past 10 years they have 1 season in the Champions League between them (knocked out in the qualification stage). We've also been to two further cup finals and a whole host of semi finals. Since Levy took over only 12 clubs have won a major trophy, and we're one of them.

Hahahahahahahaha. Haha. Ha. Thanks to Football Manager, here's a handy chart of our league positions over the last 12 years of Enic.

58f13022d9673b1bd49d2d4db188ef4a.png

Our average league position in the last 5 years is 5.2. Our average league position in the 5 years before Levy was 11.4. We improved drastically under Jol, not just Harry, and are now struggling for the first time in 5 years, since Ramos was sacked.

If you seriously think we're currently a "mid table club" you need your head examined.

Hiring a new manager is so easy. What about AVB or Ramos seemed unsuitable at the time of hiring? Both had very good success with clubs our size both domestically and in Europe. Ramos won back to back UEFA Cups with Sevilla, plus a Super Cup, a Copa Del Ray and a Supercopa, while AVB won an invincible treble with Porto in his only season at the club. Santini had been excellent at a France side that has struggled massively prior to and post his management.

He tried something different. Ramos had failed at the club and he decided that a risk free appointment was necessary to ensure short term success. And he could not have been more right. Redknapp thrived as players brought in under the previous director of football settled and started making his job easy. Bale, Modric, BAE, Gomes, Kaboul were all tremendous signings that excelled in the long run, and the first two alone were sold for £119m. When Redknapp started becoming extremely short termist and flashing his knickers at the FA for the England job, while Spurs lost a ten point lead over Woolwich and subsequently failed to qualify for the Champions League, he was rightly sacked. Levy decided he wanted a long term direction for the club, and so hired a young, ambitious, successful manager and gave him the Director of Football he wanted (having seen the long term success a director of football can bring) and signed him 15 players at a cost of £170m over three windows.

As for being a cunt to negotiate with, good. I want him to fight for what's best for this club. Who gives a fuck if Perez doesn't like him? Good. I hope he never comes back to unsettle one of our players. His reputation hasn't prevented us from signing some of Europe's top talent this transfer window in spite of a lack of Champions League football or being able to offer ridiculous wages. I don't want a chairman who's going to bend over and take it up the arse from other clubs as soon as they come calling. You would be the first to complain if we sold Berbatov for £20m as soon as Man U said they were interested and then threw whatever Mike Ashley wanted at Newcastle for Andy Carroll. Bale refused to play for the club. Berbatov refused to play for the club. Modric refused to play for the club. Keane probably would have refused to play for the club. Levy fought tooth and nail and scraped £170m out of other clubs for the lot.

The only story I can find on this is from the ever reliable Sports Direct website (the one that publishes the most bizarre transfer stories you've ever read. Yesterday they published four separate articles in the same day linking us to four different managers). Apparently Levy received a £400k a year payrise. Roughly what we pay Adebayor in a month. Fucking fine.

If we had moved to Stratford I would have been distraught. I would look on Levy very differently. He would've sold the soul of the club for a quick buck. Maybe he really did want to move, maybe he didn't. Fact of the matter is we didn't move, and the pressure placed on Haringay to want to keep us in the area made them much more compliant in our stadium requests. We now have plans and are making movement on a brand spanking new state of the art ground built on the same spot as White Hart Lane. Perfect.

While this is true, in gross spend he has definitely invested in our squad. We've sold £220m worth of players in the past three years, so have been able to significantly spend on players (over £170m worth) in that time, while being able to push money into the new stadium fund. New 50k+ seater stadia don't grow on trees. This reputation Levy gets for being tight, you do know that he doesn't personally pocket any transfer income we don't spend, don't you? It's mostly going to fund a £400m (£400,000,000) stadium. That's a lot of fucking money.

We've enjoyed more days at Wembley and more Champions League games under Levy than any chairman in the previous decade and a bit.
If I could agree 1000 times, I would. And I've read the next response from @ I8AVB I8AVB and don't even know where to start.

The suggestion that we are a mid-table team (again) is utterly baffling when we have finished in the top 5 in 6 of the last 8 seasons.

And wasn't is Ramos that left us in 19th, not Jol?

If I could agree 1000 times, I would. And I've read the next response from @ I8AVB I8AVB and don't even know where to start.

The suggestion that we are a mid-table team (again) is utterly baffling when we have finished in the top 5 in 6 of the last 8 seasons.

And wasn't is Ramos that left us in 19th, not Jol?
Ramos left us rock bottom, I think Jol left us in 18th.

Back
Top Bottom