Would you change anything about how the forum is run?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't mind being the "penal colony" forum btw. As long as they're Spurs fans, they can post here. Just because another site deemed them not worthy of their board, that's nothing to do with us.

Up to them if they want to do that, can't effect how the forum works for someone else. Put them on ignore and I don't think you get notifications.

There's a clown show (hint) in this very thread, disagreeing, tagging and quoting me. I'm ignoring him but I still see notifications. Let's sort that out then?

There's a clown show (hint) in this very thread, disagreeing, tagging and quoting me. I'm ignoring him but I still see notifications. Let's sort that out then?
You talking about Arcspace? You don't have him on ignore.

People always look who someone was arguing with an immediately assume it's them who voted them in. Which makes sense, that's probably what I would think. That's not always the case though and isn't here. People having to read the arguments are voting too.

Well correct me if Im wrong but isnt there three other people regularly arguing with Gibbs endlessly? The same three too?

Why are they not being voted in?

Gibbs is sin binned for being a "relentless troll"....but at least hes talking football, as opposed to all the people constantly trying to psycho analyse and belittle him.

You and the mods should be the judges

Dis' gon' be good.

Not much, style of the forum and the way it's set-out is fine, best Spurs forum by a mile.

The sin-bin argument is hard to fix, I get some people get offended or bored by people easily and some members are quite outspoken. Problem is that while there are issues, this forum has become amazing often because of the fruitcakes here, one minute people are discussing cars, next minute they are making humour about what each user name looks like and hell we even talk about Spurs on occasion.

The other Spurs forums and for that matter forums in general are bland, very bland by comparison, can't imagine Woolwich with the Piers Morgan forum have much fun. Banning I think is the wrong route as you would need strict criteria and possibly in the long run this forum could end up a lot less entertaining.

Personally I favour your forced ignored solution, not sure how ignore works on here as I have never used it but if it completely separates two members that would for me be the best solution to keep the integrity of this place but not let it lose it's very unique brilliance which keeps people here in the first place, it defiantly feels more like a bunch of whacky friends (even enemies) here than every other forum which feels more like a faceless comments section.

I spend more time on here than any other internet site at work by a mile, I took a look because of my love of Spurs but I grew to love the forum and it's craziness.

Good job Admin Admin best thing you can do with this place is not change much.

Last edited:
Bingo. No matter what you try and do, you'll always get issues. Banning people isn't an issue-free solution. Then you open up a whole discussion of "well X was banned and Y just did this. Why aren't they banned?". It's a slippery slope and not one we have time for anyway... but that's just my opinion.

I think you're expecting a bit much of a forum. People argue on the the internet. Sammy & Gibbs both post a lot about Spurs and they argue a bit as well. Do they deserve to be permanently banned for that? Even if they posted 70% Spurs and 30% shite, I still don't think that's worthy of banning for good.

That's just it man, despite what they say, it isn't their opinions that cause the problems or merely the fact that they argue.

But since we're being specific, let's look at the facts. I had been here well over a year before the problems of this late spring and summer developed. Did you or anyone else here view me as a "problem poster?" I would suppose most likely not. Hell, despite me being an active poster in that time, you probably didn't even note my existence if we're honest.

Enter an individual in February or so of this year who has been banned from four boards that we know of, binned here at least five times, and has never once shown an indication of changing. Since his arrival, we have had an endless spree of daily conflicts cluttering up multiple threads. And what happens when he gets binned? It all goes away, discussion flourishes, and the threads come and go along with the natural order of turnover on a forum.

So then I ask you, what do you expect to happen? What do you expect of this forum you allow to police itself after most of the victims have been removed from having a say, and the instigator in his apparent dearth of civil behavior has singled out remaining individuals to specifically target with personal vitriol? Do you honestly believe a fair representation towards the sin-bin button will remain as of that point? Do you expect that he is going to suddenly change such behavior? It isn't his opinions that cause these problems, it is his manner of delivery, unrelenting rudeness and blatant disregard for opposing views, and daily cluttering of threads with repeated conflict that is the problem. If he would simply click the disagree button and be done with it, as do a couple other "nemeses" do here, there's no problem. But when you have a poster specifically targeting posts of a few specific posters with personal insults and accusatory remarks and shit-stirring in multiple threads, you very much have a problem for the forum as a whole.

I've tried ignoring him, placating him, complimenting him, inviting him to discuss in PM many times, and outright avoiding threads I know he frequents in my attempts to end the nonsense. But regardless, a clearly vindictive person has chosen my posts and ideas in particular among others to attack with personal vitriol, and rather clearly views the board as collateral in his personal vendetta. How on earth is this simply a petty differing of views?

So again, have at it, think what you will of me. Think me a whine, think this all just an overblown cat-fight. But I absolutely guarantee you my good man, the problem will not be solved by the sane measures you propose. It expects too much of a Utopian belief in a levelized good-natured will among all people. Not everyone intends to play by the rules or even treat their fellow man with respect, and that is exactly why this format cannot work in the system that has been created. You could ban us both tomorrow, and even then with this system, it is only inevitable the problem will arise again sooner or later.

Gibbs is sin binned for being a "relentless troll"....but at least hes talking football, as opposed to all the people constantly trying to psycho analyse and belittle him.

Because just as with your accusation that same people were binning him every time, this just simply is not true. The whole point is that we each initially tried being very respectful and civil with him in our discussions while others just saw his ideas and behavior and promptly put him on ignore, but because we were willing to give him a little more time we only received further personal vitriol because we were willing to listen to him.

The time of us trying to discuss football civilly with him happened long ago, 4-5 months ago at this point. Those threads can even be pulled up. What you will see is many, many attempts to try fair discussion of the game with him, only for him to repeatedly respond with condescending rhetoric, personal insults, and direct refusals to even look into links given to him for the point of the discussion.

He is not the victim here Sam, nor are you.

I think the Gibbs issue for me is that he goes on to much and never backs down. Mark Twain said ''I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead'' and I feel with his many posts that go on and on he could spend some time cutting them down a bit and not get so angry when someone disagrees. Personally I think he makes some good points about the failure of our wingers, the need for more intelligent players and so on but the points get lost in the amount he writes. I don't think he is a troll, I just think he needs to change his writing style and not get so worked up and go over the top when people disagree. Me saying that after my previous post was so long is admittedly a little hypocritical.

Because just as with your accusation that same people were binning him every time, this just simply is not true. The whole point is that we each initially tried being very respectful and civil with him in our discussions while others just saw his ideas and behavior and promptly put him on ignore, but because we were willing to give him a little more time we only received further personal vitriol because we were willing to listen to him.

The time of us trying to discuss football civilly with him happened long ago, 4-5 months ago at this point. Those threads can even be pulled up. What you will see is many, many attempts to try fair discussion of the game with him, only for him to repeatedly respond with condescending rhetoric, personal insults, and direct refusals to even look into links given to him for the point of the discussion.

He is not the victim here Sam, nor are you.

Just.......stop.......reading......his........posts........then......

I don't mind being the "penal colony" forum btw. As long as they're Spurs fans, they can post here. Just because another site deemed them not worthy of their board, that's nothing to do with us.

That's fine, that is entirely your prerogative and if it's what you guys want then I hope you stick to your original idea as it's your baby. And if this is your final say, then the case is closed.

But do not be surprised when these issues continue and even uninvolved people complain about them, because they will. If you allow people to persist here who are directly detrimental to the purpose of a forum to persist here, you will have problems.

Just.......stop.......reading......his........posts........then......

How many times does it have to be said that this has been tried and the traits of this poster pointed out?

What we have here is quite possibly the single most antagonizing poster in all of the online Spurs community, who has been outcastes from every other forum we know of, repeatedly punished here without showing signs of change once, who has picked me to be the prime target of his twisted and spiteful behavior as proven here and elsewhere, and yet the solution is just that I'm supposed to just "not read his posts?"

I'm tellin you bros, I could be gone today and a poster of such a magnitude will not stop. His kind is out there, and they have problems with interacting with others. He will pick others as he has done here and elsewhere, and he will cause problems. This isn't a dispute or trivial argument, it's a person with no intent to follow the rules of a forum causing problems being allowed to persist. The problem does not begin or end with me or the others he targets. It doesn't even end with him.

How many times does it have to be said that this has been tried and the traits of this poster pointed out?

It hasnt been tried at all.

There is nothing to try. You either read them and respond, or you stop.

If you read and respond, then stop blaming Gibbs. Take some damn responsibility for your own actions, and worry about what YOU can do to make yourself happier.

If you respond to Gibbs and cant rise above what you think is trolling behaviour, you have no one else to blame but yourself.

You, and whoever keeps pressing the sin bin buttons do not represent the forum, you do not speak for the majority and you are not any better behaved than anyone else on here.

Stop preaching. You are in the thick of it every time.

I've stopped trying to follow the transfer thread cause of bickering. I'm sure I'm not the only one. In fact, I would say that in the past few weeks it seems as if this forum has fallen off a LOT and I chalk it up to people constantly nitpicking and just generally being annoying. There are people on here that I gravitate towards, and it's primarily cause we share similar opinions. sammyspurs sammyspurs , I think you're hysterical at points and absolutely add to the conversation in mainly a positive way. Just cause I disagree with you at points doesn't mean you're not bringing something vital to table. You bring up solid opinions, and I've seen you concede points (and I've conceded points to you). However, Gibbs is a gigantic asshole. He refers to himself in the 3rd person which is slightly more acceptable online, but if you think about it, in person you would never want to spend time with that person again in your life. He brings up the exact same point over and over again, and when he's wrong he can't admit it. I'll admit, I don't know how old he is (or how old the majority of you are), but I think that one of the key elements of "being a man" or "acting like an adult" is admitting that it is completely okay to be wrong once in a while. I'm fairly confident he's not a teenager, so there's a point when I draw the line. Last night was pretty insane. He 100% started to troll and clearly had an agenda that he wouldn't back down from. He took a gigantic shit on the team when he started slagging every single player we had on the pitch. I don't give a shit what you say about anything, but if you can't come up with one single positive statement about Spurs, why in the fuck are you posting on a Spurs forum?

That being said, I have a new idea for the sin bin. When you vote someone in there's a little comments section that you can type in whatever. I think there should also be a scale from 1 - 5 for severity. With 1 being a vote to basically just stop the BS from immediately happening (say a 24 hour binning) and a 5 being for things that are much more severe.

It hasnt been tried at all.

There is nothing to try. You either read them and respond, or you stop.

If you read and respond, then stop blaming Gibbs. Take some damn responsibility for your own actions, and worry about what YOU can do to make yourself happier.

If you respond to Gibbs and cant rise above what you think is trolling behaviour, you have no one else to blame but yourself.

You, and whoever keeps pressing the sin bin buttons do not represent the forum, you do not speak for the majority and you are not any better behaved than anyone else on here.

Stop preaching. You are in the thick of it every time.

What you are insinuating here is the same as blaming an attacked nation for the same degree of causing conflict. A simply investigation into the truth of the matter would reveal otherwise.

Again, I never proposed to speak for the majority of the forum, but when you have repeated instigators of problems that are repeatedly receiving sin bin votes (which as pointed out by Case against your accusation isn't always from the same people), it doesn't take a majority vote to recognize where a problem exists.

I also like the idea of TFC being a little bit like penal Australia. Just a bunch of miscreants that wouldn't be accepted anywhere else. Bring on the fights, but you've gotta realize that sometimes you'll get thrown out of the bar.

Last night was pretty insane. He 100% started to troll and clearly had an agenda that he wouldn't back down from. He took a gigantic shit on the team when he started slagging every single player we had on the pitch. I don't give a shit what you say about anything, but if you can't come up with one single positive statement about Spurs, why in the fuck are you posting on a Spurs forum?

He does this same crap, or similar, on a near daily basis.

I like your proposed idea though, that's good stuff. It could also be weighed, coupled with consequences such that if people are repeatedly "4"ing or "5"ing specific people they get punished themselves. Would force people to be more prudent in their selections.

What you are insinuating here is the same as blaming an attacked nation for the same degree of causing conflict. A simply investigation into the truth of the matter would reveal otherwise.

Again, I never proposed to speak for the majority of the forum, but when you have repeated instigators of problems that are repeatedly receiving sin bin votes (which as pointed out by Case against your accusation isn't always from the same people), it doesn't take a majority vote to recognize where a problem exists.

No idea what you are about with nations at conflict.

Quite simply, either ignore Gibbs or dont.

Both choices are in your hands but if you respond to him, you are the one, single person in the entire universe who is to blame.

You are no better than him.

I dont see him writing about you 10 times a day

Back
Top Bottom