SPURS v scum

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Possession in our favour means nothing, we've dominated possession in most games under avb and Poch and the football hasn't been great for most of that time. I think the big difference between avb and Poch, that was illustrated by this game, is that while they both have a style of football that they adhere to, Poch is able to use a plan b, to change the style of play to suit the match in question.

For me that is a very encouraging sign.

It was obvious that if we went there and tried to control possession we would get beaten, and that our best chance of taking something from the game was to play on the counter.

Agree...I like that Poch is stabilising a first 11 (despite having to tinker with CM in order to find the right partnership).

And he is able to change our way of playing without making wholesale changes to the team and fielding 3 or 4 differnent people every week, with many out of position.

I see a discipline in the team starting to grow

May I ask - how did Poch 'change the style and formation' on Saturday seeing that he used virtually the same staring 11 for the 6th week running? Serious question.

We sat a hell of a lot deeper and got practically everybody behind the ball, thus stopping them really breaking us down too much. Their best chance other than the goal was from that header, can't really remember them getting in our box much more than that. Most were shots from 20/25 yards which Lloris had no trouble with.

It was pretty obvious we set up to concede possession to them and play on the counter. The final pass let us down a couple of times or we could have been a couple of goals up at half time even.

We sat a hell of a lot deeper and got practically everybody behind the ball, thus stopping them really breaking us down too much. Their best chance other than the goal was from that header, can't really remember them getting in our box much more than that. Most were shots from 20/25 yards which Lloris had no trouble with.

It was pretty obvious we set up to concede possession to them and play on the counter. The final pass let us down a couple of times or we could have been a couple of goals up at half time even.
It would be an interesting debate whether that was intentional or simply the result of largely being outplayed?

Having said that - personally I did not expect much from the game so grabbing 1 point was a fantastic result. I simply feel this 'tactic' against teams with quality attacking players might be suicidal. We need to be more physical in midfield and 'break' the play further up the field.

May I ask - how did Poch 'change the style and formation' on Saturday seeing that he used virtually the same staring 11 for the 6th week running? Serious question.

Why did you quote me as saying he changed the "style and formation" when I didn't say it?

You said it, then put it in quote marks as if I said it, in order to make your petty point.

If you can't see how we set out to play on the counter then you're an idiot. But of course, you can see it. You're just trying to make some weird point.

Why did you quote me as saying he changed the "style and formation" when I didn't say it?

You said it, then put it in quote marks as if I said it, in order to make your petty point.

If you can't see how we set out to play on the counter then you're an idiot. But of course, you can see it. You're just trying to make some weird point.
This is what you wrote - I asked how did he change the 'style'? Pathetic insults - top level debate as usual.
Poch is able to use a plan b, to change the style of play to suit the match in question.

If Kaboul can perform like that every week, then he deserves to be in the team.
But, up until the Woolwich game he has been extremely woeful.
I think that was the best defensive display Ive ever seen from Spurs.
Even Naughton was good!

This is what you wrote - I asked how did he change the 'style'? Pathetic insults - top level debate as usual.

You said "style and formation" in quotes. I didn't talk about changing formation. You then quoted me, pretended I did, and argued that Poch didn't change the formation. Just trying to have a dig as usual, and you wonder why I called you out for being a man united fan as well as Spurs.

I'm still sure van der Vaart got booked for his shush celebration after the penalty he scored to make it 2-2 (in the 2-3 when Kabs got the winner), when he ran behind the goal in front of the goons and over to our lot. I remember being pissed off about it...

:vdvshh:

To be honest, they did use the wrong frame for the actual decision.... after the ball spun away from Lloris the ball started crossing the line... how far it got over was never shown by the GDS.

2e6faf8c-1cf3-4b60-81bf-5f5f5b9bacdf-2060x1516.jpeg

Possession in our favour means nothing, we've dominated possession in most games under avb and Poch and the football hasn't been great for most of that time. I think the big difference between avb and Poch, that was illustrated by this game, is that while they both have a style of football that they adhere to, Poch is able to use a plan b, to change the style of play to suit the match in question.

For me that is a very encouraging sign.

It was obvious that if we went there and tried to control possession we would get beaten, and that our best chance of taking something from the game was to play on the counter.
Agreed - I didn't say the tactic was flawed, the point I was making was that if I had to choose, it would be to witness spurs battering them for the 90, not the other way around. Our keeper was under constant threat and needed to pull off saves, theirs didn't. As controlled, mature, tactically adept and effective as it might be, it still made us look like what we were - a team under the cosh for the majority of the game, because we couldn't string half a dozen passes together without being dispossessed or we were having to constantly hack the ball clear.
It was the right way to play it - but it didn't make happy watching for a spurs fan.

NB - No managers were disrespected during the making of this, or previous posts on the subject.

I really dont buy into the "gulf in talent" line.

If they had Lamela and Eriksen, we´d be shitting it....Welbeck, Merteseker, Kosielny, Gibbs....how are the likes of them any better than us?

As with SAF, Wenger is the glue holding together an average to decent squad, and if he left I dont think they would be a top 4 side at all.
Buy it all you like - we were the team that had to adopt a heavily defensive, break out at speed tactic - or we would have been mullered. Whatever the reason, there was a gulf in talent and ability.
Eriksen was pretty invisible during the game and his tackle on Flamini was really the only thing he did of note, and was subbed for it. Lamela was lively throughout, but still swamped. Aside from Welbeck, who needed to be better, the rest of their players you mentioned had an easy match, and one of them had a decent goal attempt (at both ends in reality!)
If Arteta and Ramsey had stayed on, it would have been even tougher I think.

You said "style and formation" in quotes. I didn't talk about changing formation. You then quoted me, pretended I did, and argued that Poch didn't change the formation. Just trying to have a dig as usual, and you wonder why I called you out for being a man united fan as well as Spurs.
Yes - I definitely fabricated you saying Poch changed the style

:harrylol:

Back
Top Bottom