SPURS v scum

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would have taken a point before the game, but still a bit gutted that we didn't manage to hold on to our lead. Ah well, let's hope we get our own back when we get them back at the Lane.

I have to say I think Poch did very well that game but he made two mistakes for me:

1) Keeping Ade on the pitch, as we were playing with 10 men because of him

2) It was clear about 10 minutes before the goal that Bentaleb or another midfielder needed to come in, as nobody could challenge Ox as they were all on a yellow. His run created their goal.

That being said, the lineup he played was spot on and the game instructions were perfect as well.

Spot on.

Our approach was measured and organised and we kept our heads against 70% possession at their place.
We looked mature.

At the end of the day they were restricted to 6 shots on target against our 4.
an oblique way of looking at things, and whilst I'm sure its valid.................
I would rather it were possession in our favour and them chasing our tails, rather than a reliance on an alert goalkeeper and backs to the wall survival football.

I know we are early into pochettino's tenure - so we must accept the team is adjusting, as well as having to cut our cloth according to our budget and skillset, but I do worry about adopting the same stance against a much better attack that we'll encounter against Chelsea and City.

Still, like everyone else - we have to accept the gulf in talent pool and availability of wealth, and try to minimise the damage, rather than an expansive approach like last season where we shipped goals faster than the titanic took on water, by taking the game to them.

My biggest concern is the diminishing impact of Eriksen, and his waning dead ball skills. His corners are almost farcical. That and Ade's non existent impact.

I have to say I think Poch did very well that game but he made two mistakes for me:

2) It was clear about 10 minutes before the goal that Bentaleb or another midfielder needed to come in, as nobody could challenge Ox as they were all on a yellow. His run created their goal.

That being said, the lineup he played was spot on and the game instructions were perfect as well.
We conceded because Lamela missed his clearance nothing to do with Ades performance. They could not score before or after the mistake. We frustrated and teased them. They weren't good enough to open us up. Let's remember they didn't beat any of the top teams last season. We did a number on them and they struggled as they do against any decent side. The worm has turned?

an oblique way of looking at things, and whilst I'm sure its valid.................
I would rather it were possession in our favour and them chasing our tails, rather than a reliance on an alert goalkeeper and backs to the wall survival football.

I know we are early into pochettino's tenure - so we must accept the team is adjusting, as well as having to cut our cloth according to our budget and skillset, but I do worry about adopting the same stance against a much better attack that we'll encounter against Chelsea and City.

Still, like everyone else - we have to accept the gulf in talent pool and availability of wealth, and try to minimise the damage, rather than an expansive approach like last season where we shipped goals faster than the titanic took on water, by taking the game to them.

My biggest concern is the diminishing impact of Eriksen, and his waning dead ball skills. His corners are almJost farcical. That and Ade's non existent impact.
I feel Eriksen is faulting a liittle since the emergence or Lamela. I feel they can both play in the same team but at the moment tthe team needs time to adjust to accomadate both players.

I have to agree with both those points and there wasn't really any reason not to do them. Certainly the swap in midfield should have occurred fairy early for the reason you mentioned, I think Capoue looked tired second half too.

doesn't explain his dead ball technique though.................
. He can knock in a free kick when his in the mood which demonstrates he can kick a ball. Although they are different players they both offer a quality that can potentially be the match winner.

I just feel Lamelas is rapidly Improving which may create preasure on Eriksens game, that preasure wasn't there before. Suddenly he has to think about his game . Maybe I'm wrong and alls well but I've noticed his disappeared a bit lately

If only Dempsey was still around...

NYP_280_1064498a.jpg

Simmo I wanted to be sure I wasn't going crazy so I checked it out...

Seems he got away with it during that game. Interesting to note that the season beforehand, he also didn't get a booking for the 'shush' celebration in the 3-3 match.

My bad, thought they booked him, classic moment that I remember the other best bits clearly thank god

god
not another one.
I watch matches with my eyes and head, not with analysis charts and heatmaps thanks.

you do it your way

I'm happier with mine
Watched the whole match. Can't exactly show a video of the whole game to prove my point, but a heat map does show where he was, so that serves the purpose. I trust what I see, but human memory is entirely fallible. Hence hard numbers to supplement.

...fair result - Arse played like shit, but we choked on the break...Mason looked good, Kabs looked a lot better...IMO Eriksen and Lamela cannot be on the pitch at the same time...
COYS

My biggest concern is the diminishing impact of Eriksen, and his waning dead ball skills. His corners are almost farcical. That and Ade's non existent impact.

I really dont buy into the "gulf in talent" line.

If they had Lamela and Eriksen, we´d be shitting it....Welbeck, Merteseker, Kosielny, Gibbs....how are the likes of them any better than us?

As with SAF, Wenger is the glue holding together an average to decent squad, and if he left I dont think they would be a top 4 side at all.

Possession in our favour means nothing, we've dominated possession in most games under avb and Poch and the football hasn't been great for most of that time. I think the big difference between avb and Poch, that was illustrated by this game, is that while they both have a style of football that they adhere to, Poch is able to use a plan b, to change the style of play to suit the match in question.

For me that is a very encouraging sign.

It was obvious that if we went there and tried to control possession we would get beaten, and that our best chance of taking something from the game was to play on the counter.

I think the big difference between avb and Poch, that was illustrated by this game, is that while they both have a style of football that they adhere to, Poch is able to use a plan b, to change the style of play to suit the match in question.
May I ask - how did Poch 'change the style and formation' on Saturday seeing that he used virtually the same staring 11 for the 6th week running? Serious question.

Back
Top Bottom