Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can i ask a question? Who would you replace him with? That was, I hope, my original point- who is out there, available & better than him? I don't accept your list of better CB's in the EPL, but that's just my opinion. I'd like to know who we would buy with the money we recoup from selling our best CB. And to be totally honest, I wouldn't want another CB coming from outside the EPL...yet another transition period whilst someone from abroad adjusted to the pace of our league. To sell our best CB would be a very bad move, to answer your question.

I've got no idea who we would replace him with, or even if we should sell him in the first place. I was just posing the question, as that's the choice Poch has to make it seems. Whether to replace him soon or stick with him.

Either way I think he won't be with us next year, and I can't say I'll be heart broken over it. If he wanted to stay he would have signed the contract in the summer; he didn't.

The stats also suggest Kompany and Terry are shit defenders, that Boyd is the best defender in the world and that Adebayor has a bigger impact on games (key passes, goals, assists) than Soldado or Mason. Is that the case? Clearly not. People should be wary of what stats suggest.

There's 3 other people on this page, never mind thread, that have said he isn't world class. So, no, there doesn't seem to be that much of a consensus.

semantics...

I've got no idea who we would replace him with, or even if we should sell him in the first place. I was just posing the question, as that's the choice Poch has to make it seems. Whether to replace him soon or stick with him.

Either way I think he won't be with us next year, and I can't say I'll be heart broken over it. If he wanted to stay he would have signed the contract in the summer; he didn't.
If your thought is that we should perhaps cash in on him because he's overrated & his form isn't great, putting all stats aside, we would have to buy an improvement player otherwise this whole argument starts again with the next bloke in-& that's always assuming Levy doesn't tell Poch he has Dier & doesn't need any more centre halves. I don't think there are many better than Vertonghen around who we could realistically go for. Would it not be better to see how he pairs up with Fazio in a defensive partnership? I would like to see how they are after a few more weeks. Walker is on the mend, Davies looks solid enough & I look forward to a stable back 4 in front of Hugo. Individual errors happen & will cost some points, but if the back four starts to take shape, stays fit & together, then the individual errors will get fewer & the confidence they have in each other will build. & if he decided to leave in the summer, he could fuck right off, the cunt.

Although he doesn't appear to be, how the other players view him may be different, but Verts is not a leader. He's not vocal and he isn't the type of player that looks like he regularly grabs a game by the scruff of the neck and can turn it around. That being said, when he is on his game, he is quite a good defender and can make some tremendous plays. That's okay because a good, strong leader with the quality of a Kompany or Hummels isn't found on every team.

This is just not true. In the PL this season, Verts has 12 tackles in 831 minutes played. In comparison to our other more truly CB's, Kaboul has 14 in 990 and Fazio has 7 in 426. So, it's slightly better than Kaboul who most people wouldn't make a claim about not willing to go in for a tackle, and Fazio has significantly less minutes, so we would have to see how he would pan out over time.

Since we are on the topic of tackling, and you apparently think so highly of Kompany, he has a total of 15 tackle in 1,080 minutes of play in the PL. That's actually a slightly lower tackle per minute ratio than Verts and I will also note that his tackling success rate is actually pretty poor compared to Vertonghen (37% vs. 52%).

Stats via Squawka.

fuck off with your stats mate. a fucking stat chart cant prove whos good and whos not. there for people who havent played the game. sky sports news presenters and the like. off with their stat heads

fuck off with your stats mate. a fucking stat chart cant prove whos good and whos not. there for people who havent played the game. sky sports news presenters and the like. off with their stat heads

y the vitriol. His arguement was i thought balanced and level headed, plus supported with stats.
you on the other hand come across as the type of cunt i enjoy putting the fucking boot in to. Crawl back to your mums house and stick to judging players on FM..\
any man with half a brain can see the correlation between good stats and good players, there ARE exceptions to this rule, but by and large it holds true..

yeh ronaldo's heaps shit.

154 league appearances for RM, 197 goals..

stats lie though, should sell him for bendtner..
come on joey dnt feed the cunt above, his the kind of cunt me and you cut our spurs on.
I'm on nobody's side - and stats are mermaids. Don't get your underwear in a twist about Jayc1 Jayc1 he's a pessimist, and pretty obviously, a new customer.

yeh ronaldo's heaps shit.

154 league appearances for RM, 197 goals..

stats lie though, should sell him for bendtner..
come on joey dnt feed the cunt above, his the kind of cunt me and you cut our spurs on.

But I agree with Jayc1 Jayc1 that Jan is over rated. Just watch him closely - he's been pretty shit for quite a while.
Everton he played like we expect, but he's not been doing it for us consistently. Sell or gee up, but, this is a player that is not as good as he thinks he is IMO.

y the vitriol. His arguement was i thought balanced and level headed, plus supported with stats.
you on the other hand come across as the type of cunt i enjoy putting the fucking boot in to. Crawl back to your mums house and stick to judging players on FM..\
any man with half a brain can see the correlation between good stats and good players, there ARE exceptions to this rule, but by and large it holds true..

the day i compare players using FIFA and FM is the day i wear a Woolwich jersey. just watch the game and you will get all the information you need. no fucking pie chart is going to tell me that. do you think a manager like Fergie or someone took stats seriously, i bet if some twat like yourself came at him with a pie chart riddled with stats, the mandatory boot would be coming in your direction.

For a big, handy looking fucker, he does come across as a bit of a ponce. Very easy for strikers to give him a hard time by having a dig at him.

the day i compare players using FIFA and FM is the day i wear a Woolwich jersey. just watch the game and you will get all the information you need. no fucking pie chart is going to tell me that. do you think a manager like Fergie or someone took stats seriously, i bet if some twat like yourself came at him with a pie chart riddled with stats, the mandatory boot would be coming in your direction.

my arguement rested on a combination of both observation and statistics, they are not mutually exclusive.
And just to fill you in, ferguson trying to give me a boot in makes me have a lugh, im a rich upperclass anglo- saxon's worst nightmare..

I'm not a wind up merchant, and I'm not prowling around. As for not being able to cop it - do your worst you touchy Aussie cunt.

well i do prowl around and i am a wind up merchant..
it brings a smile to my face..
given all the fucking meltdowns, cunts, complainers and the know it all FM armchair experts, i feel the need to brighten my day by giving out shit.
very little posters on here anymore will enage in a lively debate when points are put forward, considered and then replied to; in a manner both engaging and educational.

Back
Top Bottom