Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Such a roller-coaster ride with him this year. I love him, I hate him. He doesn't care, he plays inspired. Some stability would be great
Im sure he is thinking the same! On the Bench, starting 11, On the Bench, starting 11... I think he should be one of 4 names on the starting line up every match!

Tim Sherwood has taken aim at Tottenham’s Jan Verthonghen once more insisting: ‘He just can’t defend’.

The former Spurs boss laid into the Belgian after he produced yet another unconvincing display in the club’s 3-0 defeat to Chelsea.

Sherwood said: “Vertonghen is so poor. Can’t move his feet. He looks elegant with the ball but he just can’t defend, this guy.”

Vertonghen was frozen out of the first team under Sherwood, who left the White Hart Lane club at the end of last season.

His Spurs future remains unclear with no new deal on the horizon - despite claims from his agent that he was set to sign earlier this season - and interest from Manchester United.

Hate to say it, but Jan has looked poor all last season and has only had 1-2 good performances so far this season. Always baffles me how he's extremely quick when dribbling forward with the ball yet has awful recovery pace when needing to get back.

Do people still rate him? What do you think the issue with him is, or we did we just over-rate him in his first season?

Vertonghen is mint, sherwoods just being abit of a cunt because he had a bad match against the chavs and is an easy target. As far as our defenders go Vertonghen is the least of our worries.

and what exactly does can't move his feet mean ffs

Tim Sherwood has taken aim at Tottenham’s Jan Verthonghen once more insisting: ‘He just can’t defend’.

The former Spurs boss laid into the Belgian after he produced yet another unconvincing display in the club’s 3-0 defeat to Chelsea.

Sherwood said: “Vertonghen is so poor. Can’t move his feet. He looks elegant with the ball but he just can’t defend, this guy.”

Vertonghen was frozen out of the first team under Sherwood, who left the White Hart Lane club at the end of last season.

His Spurs future remains unclear with no new deal on the horizon - despite claims from his agent that he was set to sign earlier this season - and interest from Manchester United.

Hate to say it, but Jan has looked poor all last season and has only had 1-2 good performances so far this season. Always baffles me how he's extremely quick when dribbling forward with the ball yet has awful recovery pace when needing to get back.

Do people still rate him? What do you think the issue with him is, or we did we just over-rate him in his first season?

At least he's can back up his bullshit with previous actions.

Vertonghen is mint, sherwoods just being abit of a cunt because he had a bad match against the chavs and is an easy target. As far as our defenders go Vertonghen is the least of our worries.

and what exactly does can't move his feet mean ffs

How can Jan be mint, yet our defense be shit? I think he gets away with quite a few fuck ups to be honest. He was to blame for Chelsea's third; no one else. And what did he do? Fall over and try to drag him down. It's not the first time either.

BU9DaOACMAA7M-o.jpg

He's our best defender, but that says more about us than him. He's not got any where near his first season performances and he'll go this year.

How can Jan be mint, yet our defense be shit? I think he gets away with quite a few fuck ups to be honest. He was to blame for Chelsea's third; no one else. And what did he do? Fall over and try to drag him down. It's not the first time either.

BU9DaOACMAA7M-o.jpg

He's our best defender, but that says more about us than him. He's not got any where near his first season performances and he'll go this year.
No he hasn't. But neither has the rest of the team performed to anywhere near what we came to expect. Give me 5 better CB's in the EPL. Name me 5 who can pull the pants down & own a "great" player (lol) like he did that game??.he's been an enigma but there is a great player waiting to show once he isnt exposed to Spursiness & if he keeps the fist pumping going, he has my vote

Give me 5 better CB's in the EPL

Terry, Cahill, Kompany, Williams, Ivanovic and possibly also Lescott, Shawcross and Fonte.

He's 28 this season. His re-sale value is dropping minute by minute and the chance of him rediscovering form looks unlikely.

Difficult choice for Poch really; time to sell is now or never. Sell soon and get a good fee with the possibility of bringing in a player/s who could be quality (Hurhur, not with our scouting system..) or stick with a guy whose not been brilliant but not terrible either.

Terry, Cahill, Kompany, Williams, Ivanovic and possibly also Lescott, Shawcross and Fonte.

He's 28 this season. His re-sale value is dropping minute by minute and the chance of him rediscovering form looks unlikely.

Difficult choice for Poch really; time to sell is now or never. Sell soon and get a good fee with the possibility of bringing in a player/s who could be quality (Hurhur, not with our scouting system..) or stick with a guy whose not been brilliant but not terrible either.
Williams? Shawcross? Behave. Lescott? Oh dear. We will agree to disagree on this? Verts isn't the messiah right now but ... No mate. Kompany-agree. Terry (grudgingly agree)-the rest? No, sorry.

He's quoted as saying he like to play against players he knows. It was interesting to see how he was immense v Everton.
He's a great defender, just very inconsistent. He was consistently good as a LB for us if you ask me.

A defender who admits he likes attacking, has a mean shot on him and can peter crouch dribble (clumsy but effective) his way through clumps of players.

He need Bale-ing :baletroll:

Williams? Shawcross? Behave. Lescott? Oh dear. We will agree to disagree on this? Verts isn't the messiah right now but ... No mate. Kompany-agree. Terry (grudgingly agree)-the rest? No, sorry.

They don't fall flat on their fucking arse every time they get attacked, do they?

Cahill is nailed on better than Jan.
Lescott won the premier league title and was part of the best defense in the league.
Williams is stronger and faster and actually makes a tackle.

He's over-rated massively and people just fan-boy over him, like this. He isn't all that. When was the last time you saw him win a 1-1 or clear a shot off the line?

Last edited:
They don't fall flat on their fucking arse every time they get attacked, do they?

all defenders get done from time to time it's part and parcel with the position

Kompany and Terry are no different, Terry is always falling on his hole

and your list of better centerbacks is fucking laughable

all defenders get done from time to time it's part and parcel with the position

Kompany and Terry are no different, Terry is always falling on his hole

and your list of better centerbacks is fucking laughable

As I said before, it's an oxymoron. "Our defender is amazing, but our defense is shit". Alright then :memelol:

Lets check my list of defenders, shall we?

Spurs conceded 21 goals. 8th worse defense in the league.

Lescott, West Brom - 20.
Shawcross, Stoke - 18.
Ivanovic, Cahill and Terry - 11.
Williams, Swansea - 14.
Fonte, Southampton - 10.

Strange that, they've all conceded less than us. Utterly bizarre, who would have guessed, maybe good defenders mean your team concede less goals!?!

As I said before, it's an oxymoron. "Our defender is amazing, but our defense is shit". Alright then :memelol:

Our keeper is world class, but we have given up way too many goals. That works for the same reason that the statement you are laughing at does.

Now, I'm not entirely pleased with Vertonghen and not one of his bigger supporters right now, but I seem to remember more than one defender on the pitch in our most recent games.

our defense isn't any more shit than our attack truth be told

we've already played our 2 hardest matches of the season away at shity and away at the chavs which should be taken into account not to mention the toilet bowl too

we're not even half a season into Pochs reign so making sweeping statements is stupid at this point but knock yourself out

and lastly yes you can have a good defender in a shit defense, it happens, it's a team game and one player can only do so much.

Jan is not perfect but he is a very good defender

Back
Top Bottom