Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd maybe concede cross... but shot? Really? He's never scored a goal in a Spurs shirt in competitive play...

He's behind Dier, who's behind Walker, on the teamsheet.. ergo, he's a desperation play. Fine backup, but a complete calamity waiting to happen.
I say shot because when he hits it he always hits it well from range. It's almost always powerful and on target but I guess the stats don't back him.
As for being a calamity the last mistakes he made were against Southampton, he usually only has really bad games though at left back.

I thought Verts was at fault for there goal, in fact he was a right fucking Nancy, you never turn your back in that position, you take one for the club, in the face or the bollox , you have to block a shot.
Apart from that he was alright.

I thought Verts was at fault for there goal, in fact he was a right fucking Nancy, you never turn your back in that position, you take one for the club, in the face or the bollox , you have to block a shot.
Oh for god sakes... Really? He did nothing wrong there at all and I doubt any single person wouldn't have done the same (maybe accept Parker), but it'll of course be pointed out because it's Vertonghen.

At fault for a goal from a shot from 5 yards out? No chance. Lamela's poor clearance and leaving Ramsey (I think) free for the initial shot is what caused the goal. No fault of Vertonghen's IMO

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...olatile-start-season-Mauricio-Pochettino.html
Despite Spurs' upturn in form the former Ajax star has confirmed that he will not be signing a new contract with the club.
He added: 'I can only say that the decision was taken in consultation with the club.'
He's got plenty of time left on his current deal, and I'm sure the issue will come up again later if we seem to be heading in the right direction. It was fantastic from Lloris to sign a new contract, but I don't really blame Vertonghen for wanting to wait a bit.

The only reason he has to sign a new contract, is for an increase in wages. If the money was right, or they couldnt agree on some clause, or he felt his current deal was better... he wouldnt sign a new one?

Absolute non story.

dawg-wtf-you-saying.jpg

this was Poch's face at the initial question, haha!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ghen-says-spurs-need-to-improve-against-stoke

Jan Vertonghen says Tottenham need to vastly improve for the visit of Stoke if they are to avoid another post-Europa League slip-up.

Mauricio Pochettino's side, like many Spurs outfits before them, have struggled to balance domestic and continental exertions.

Already this season Liverpool, West Brom and Newcastle have won at White Hart Lane in games following European ties - the joint highest number of home defeats in the Barclays Premier League.

Those struggles will give the Potters encouragement ahead of Sunday's trip to north London, as will the hosts' unconvincing performances of late.

Pochettino's men were fortunate to scrape through 2-1 winners at Asteras Tripolis on Thursday - producing an inept second-half display which Vertonghen knows would cost them dear if repeated on Sunday.

"It was strange because we didn't win second balls," the Belgium defender said.

"That team can play and the most important thing was they felt they could do something against an English team.

"I have been in that position with Ajax playing bigger teams and if you can get some hope you start playing differently and that's what we gave them ourselves.

"It is a long way (off building a winning mentality like Ajax). It is not (a case of) pick the line-up and you win every game since then. You can have ups and downs.

"Of course, we won, but it was not that positive, so we have to analyse this game and see where it went wrong. Then we have to continue and avoid making those mistakes in the next game.

"That's what we have to do against Stoke, because if we make these mistakes against Stoke probably we will lose this game."

Spurs have too often looked flaky at the back and blunt going forwards, yet they enter Sunday's match looking for a fourth straight win in all competitions.

It is something Vertonghen is obviously aiming for, although he concedes wins over Brighton, Aston Villa and Asteras are hardly a yardstick by which to measure success.

"Of course, if you win three games in a row, it's positive," he said.

"You have to look at the name of the opponents as well, but it is a run and we will take a run and hopefully we can continue doing that on Sunday."

Back
Top Bottom