Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

:adethumbup::adethumbup::adethumbup::adethumbup:
WAIT NO FUCK

ade_thumbup_zps9130ec37.gif

Part of me thinks that maybe he should be captain: he knows we've been shit for too long and he doesn't try and dress it up as anything more. However, his form isn't great either, and his attitude - at times - is far from great.

Best centre back at the club; sitting on the bench.

I agree but he ain't showing it. He's almost appears to be sulking on the pitch like " why the fuck am I here?"

He's gone already in his head

In this state of mind He's still probably better than the others but in fairness my pet house brick probably would probably put in a better performance than our other CB's

I agree but he ain't showing it. He's almost appears to be sulking on the pitch like " why the fuck am I here?"

He's gone already in his head

In this state of mind He's still probably better than the others but in fairness my pet house brick probably would probably put in a better performance than our other CB's

I actually tend to disagree with the whole Vertonghen looks like he is sulking story, I think he is just naturally a miserable cunt. He hasn't been at this best this season but I think there are two main reasons behind that, one he isn't getting a regular run of games and two, most importantly, he isn't being allowed to forge a centre back partnership with either Fazio, Kaboul or Dier. It is no coincidence that the top two sides in the league have a settled core to the team, Terry/Cahill and Fonte/Alderweireld.

I would love to see Dier and Vertonghen given a chance to build a partnership.

Lloris
Walker Dier Vertonghen Rose
Mason Stambouli
Lamela Eriksen Chadli
Kane

or

Lloris
Walker Dier Vertonghen Rose
Lamela Mason Stambouli Chadli
Kane Soldado

Best centre back at the club; sitting on the bench.

It's a disgrace that we can leave our best (by a mile) CB on the bench for league games. Jan was left with the armband for BHA league cup game and EL game mid week and looked happy so I don't buy the sulky persona that is portrayed sometimes. His celebrations against Villa spoke volumes as well, he does care.

It's a disgrace that we can leave our best (by a mile) CB on the bench for league games. Jan was left with the armband for BHA league cup game and EL game mid week and looked happy so I don't buy the sulky persona that is portrayed sometimes. His celebrations against Villa spoke volumes as well, he does care.
Our best, at his best, which he hasn't been for some time. Seeing how good he was in his first season it's not unreasonable for people to question his commitment now.

I actually tend to disagree with the whole Vertonghen looks like he is sulking story, I think he is just naturally a miserable cunt.
I have to agree with this. I don't think that he is sulking either. Some people never look happy. If he was sulking he wouldn't bother with the post match interviews, assesing the match and saying how we need to improve. He'd just be like 'We lost, meh'

You've got to remember he is a highly professional player, he works hard all the time and he hasn't had any bad press that I know of (could be loads that I haven't seen.)

I have to agree with this. I don't think that he is sulking either. Some people never look happy. If he was sulking he wouldn't bother with the post match interviews, assesing the match and saying how we need to improve. He'd just be like 'We lost, meh'

You've got to remember he is a highly professional player, he works hard all the time and he hasn't had any bad press that I know of (could be loads that I haven't seen.)

I realise it sounds silly but you only have to look at how he sulked when doing the challenge thing on SpursTV once he knew Harry had done it in one he almost wasn't interested because he couldn't win. He is just ultra competitive.

The problem is we are gonna be mixing it with the bottom 6 teams in about a months time, and it's players like him, I wonder if they have the right mentality or the heart to get us out of it.

The problem about Vertonghen is, that he thinks he is a Champions League player. He currently is our best defender (because he is the most consistent), but he isn't the same he has been 12/13. Kaboul and Fazio make a lot of stupid errors, but Jan often gives the ball away (against Southampton, when we almost conceded, he lost the ball).

Agreed, he's currently not all that. All very well looking like you can't be arsed, but if you actually play like it, and keep playing like it, the big clubs will soon lose interest. Vertonghen has lost the right to stroll about with that air of dismissive arrogance by virtue of not actually being that great any more.

In consequence we'll probably end up being stuck with the sulky cunt.

The problem about Vertonghen is, that he thinks he is a Champions League player. He currently is our best defender (because he is the most consistent), but he isn't the same he has been 12/13. Kaboul and Fazio make a lot of stupid errors, but Jan often gives the ball away (against Southampton, when we almost conceded, he lost the ball).
Agreed. Although he saw on the bench last game, IF he left and went to what he thought was a bigger club I could see him riding pine behind the starting CB and only getting starts few and far between.

He has been brilliant the last few games. He does care, anyone that thinks otherwise needs to see how he reacted to Kane's goal v Villa, Eriksen's v Hull and Soldado's v Everton.

Back
Top Bottom