Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If the unlikely happened and we actually got a world-cup winner that is Höwedes in (sorry can't really see it) he should be the leader at the back ahead of Jan. I really like Jan, but I think he needs a really good player beside him.

Few players baffle me as much as Vertonghen. The ability isn't just there, it's there in spades but this curious assumption that he should only really turn up as and when he feels like it makes it very difficult to justify his continued inclusion in one of the untouchable players.

His first season was so good that I thought we had finally replaced, as much as is possible, the loss of Ledley; a defender who could bring the ball out of defence and find a player with an accurate ball along the ground. Factor in five or so goals a season from CD and we had something we haven't for years.

I hope we keep him because we know how good he can be but if he leaves we should be looking at £15m and for someone who seems disinterested it's better than a poke in the eye.

His heart's not in it unfortunately. Great player but if he won't sign a new contract Levy has to cash in Now. We cannot allow another Judas scenario. Get him out and fast.

If the unlikely happened and we actually got a world-cup winner that is Höwedes in (sorry can't really see it) he should be the leader at the back ahead of Jan. I really like Jan, but I think he needs a really good player beside him.

He's gone. It's another 'Bale buttock strain'.

His heart's not in it unfortunately. Great player but if he won't sign a new contract Levy has to cash in Now. We cannot allow another Judas scenario. Get him out and fast.

How many years does he have left on his contract? IIRC, Vetonghen has only two years left, if that is true, then i believe he will be sold. Howedes will be his replacement, in an ideal world. Howedes if a left footed CB, who is better than Vertonghen and with his buyout clause of 18m, it should be a wash in spending. If Howedes doesn't have that 18m buyout clause then no way will we get him.

Not that I would ever accuse anyone on this forum of overreacting or jumping to conclusions, but why do we suddenly think that he's gone. Am I missing something?

Few players baffle me as much as Vertonghen. The ability isn't just there, it's there in spades but this curious assumption that he should only really turn up as and when he feels like it makes it very difficult to justify his continued inclusion in one of the untouchable players.

His first season was so good that I thought we had finally replaced, as much as is possible, the loss of Ledley; a defender who could bring the ball out of defence and find a player with an accurate ball along the ground. Factor in five or so goals a season from CD and we had something we haven't for years.

I hope we keep him because we know how good he can be but if he leaves we should be looking at £15m and for someone who seems disinterested it's better than a poke in the eye.

Vertonghen / Kaboul / Chiriches out .......... Howdes / Alderwield / Wimmer in?

Obviously hypothetical before some fact nerd comes at me.

Vertonghen / Kaboul / Chiriches out .......... Howdes / Alderwield / Wimmer in?

Obviously hypothetical before some fact nerd comes at me.
Another year of everyone bemoaning the fact that we have a group of players with little experience playing together, and need to give them time...

Another year of everyone bemoaning the fact that we have a group of players with little experience playing together, and need to give them time...

What do you expect? We're completely rebuilding the squad, and that doesn't just happen in a single year.

1 year to assess the squad
1 year to build foundations
1 year to refine it

Look at Chelsea, last year when Mourinho returned they didn't instantly challenge for the title. It took time to lay down what he want and make purchases for that system.

What do you expect? We're completely rebuilding the squad, and that doesn't just happen in a single year.

1 year to refine it

Look at Chelsea, last year when Mourinho returned they didn't instantly challenge for the title. It took time to lay down what he want and make purchases for that system.
Look, I know that we need to rebuild in some key areas, we need some upgrades, and offload some dead weight. That being said, as a fan, it hasn't been just one year of assessing so far, foundations are not set and very shaky still, and we're nowhere near refined.

Don't get me wrong, I know this stuff needs to be done but as a supporter I just want to be on step 3 already and don't look forward to another two years of hoping things gel and don't have to do this all over again. It's frustrating because just a couple of months ago, it looked as if we were firmly in the second phase and just needed refinement. Since then, we're now talking about deconstructing entire areas of the team.

another departure in mass of our current players? and of course another platoon of new players to come here,another 2 years to let them gel each other ,another 2 years to wait Champions League presence? or more... sell them all 7 players bought 2 years ago and buy back Gareth Bale :)

another departure in mass of our current players? and of course another platoon of new players to come here,another 2 years to let them gel each other ,another 2 years to wait Champions League presence? or more... sell them all 7 players bought 2 years ago and buy back Gareth Bale :)

He is not coming back.

1 year to refine it

Pretty sure Chelsea were in with a chance until about game 37 of 38?

When he goes, like Lloris, I will say "good luck" and won't blame him for walking. He's a good player in a very average squad. Such a shame, he was better with better players, that's understandable

Back
Top Bottom