Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

he is the least of our problems. We should not get rid unless he forces a move, which seems not to happen. Much more of a priority are his venerable colleagues kaboul and vlad

I'm glad... you glad?? I'm glad!

c9732af98e8e16cbe5886a4e0d08099b.jpg

A true defender will walk off the pitch with bloody knees and mud splattered hair. Verts has never done that, When he said last year 'top clubs' were in for him my vote was cast. He is not as good as he thinks he is. If he gets the hump and whinges which I expect him too next season then it will be thanks for a goal against Manure but planting a goal for Chelski and worse crying off against Bin Dippers when things got tough says it all. Won't be missed in the grand scheme of things.

Classiest defender at the club by a million miles.
He just needs proper motivating IMO, he's hardly had a smooth ride since he first signed under AVB's '' Vision '' and was promptly played at LB.

Hopefully he's been 'humbled' by a lack of clubs coming in for him the past year or so. Would like to see him actually show the ability we know he's capable of - perhaps stepping up to a leadership role at the back too (because let's be honest, we're hoping for at least one vice captain position to open up...).

A true defender will walk off the pitch with bloody knees and mud splattered hair. Verts has never done that, When he said last year 'top clubs' were in for him my vote was cast. He is not as good as he thinks he is. If he gets the hump and whinges which I expect him too next season then it will be thanks for a goal against Manure but planting a goal for Chelski and worse crying off against Bin Dippers when things got tough says it all. Won't be missed in the grand scheme of things.
Who would you say was the best Spurs defender of the past say twenty years? And did he leave the field covered in mud and blood after each match?

I'd pick Ledley King and no he fucking didn't. Throwing yourself into tackles is a sign of a bad defender, not a good one.

Not as good as he thinks he is and not as good as he was in his first season with us. That said, he is still a very capable CB and better currently than any of our other choices. We should be looking to keep him, just because he isn't playing as well with us as he was in his first season and doesnt show much emotion, doesn't mean he isn't playig well and isn't happy.

Vertonghen gets way too much stick. Has a player even been judged harsher over "body language" and other ridiculous criteria? He's fine for us. Hopefully he can find his season 1 form again.
I think Vertonghen's biggest problem is the players around him. He seemed uncomfortable and didn't trust his CB partner for the first half of the year. Plus the DMs were not protecting the CBs. Early in the year, JV was reluctant to leave the middle to make defensive plays. Toward the end, he played more with Dier & Fazio and he seemed to settle down and make plays again.
All Jan needs is a stable CB partner and a good defensive CM - and he will be in top form.

He is a good defender and it would be a big blow for our defence. I also think what you are saying about passion is absolutely rubbish, He is not the fastest player. Depends heavily on power ,positioning and awareness.The only time he went off the boil was when sherwood took over with his mickey mouse tactics and selections.Also pretty weird how you cherry pick one defensive error , everyone is guilty of doing something stupid leading to goals, Dier and Kaboul top the list, even Bentaleb and Mason have been responsible for us conceding at times.

I think Vertonghen's biggest problem is the players around him. He seemed uncomfortable and didn't trust his CB partner for the first half of the year. Plus the DMs were not protecting the CBs. Early in the year, JV was reluctant to leave the middle to make defensive plays. Toward the end, he played more with Dier & Fazio and he seemed to settle down and make plays again.
All Jan needs is a stable CB partner and a good defensive CM - and he will be in top form.

Spot on, our CMs are defensively week. Mason and Bentaleb need to play ahead of a DM in a 4-3-3 or one of them alongside a more experienced midfielder who can control posession and help us gain control of the game. 60 minute man dembele fits this bill but i dont think he is fit.
I am hoping we keep stambouli and dembele /

Hey all. New to the forum.

My opinion is that Verts puts in a good tackle. He is by far the most reliable CB Spurs have. He also gets under a players skin in a ploy to break their concentration. It's something that is handy to have and shows he is a competitor that wants to win. He is also fit enough to play Poch's system and strong enough to hold off top strikers. My only criticism is he lacks communication and leadership qualities...maybe because he is slightly uncomfortable with the team.

Maybe now with some proper quality alongside him and a familiar parter in Toby he can hit new heights.

I hope he signs a new 5 year deal!

Back
Top Bottom