Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hey all. New to the forum.

My opinion is that Verts puts in a good tackle. He is by far the most reliable CB Spurs have. He also gets under a players skin in a ploy to break their concentration. It's something that is handy to have and shows he is a competitor that wants to win. He is also fit enough to play Poch's system and strong enough to hold off top strikers. My only criticism is he lacks communication and leadership qualities...maybe because he is slightly uncomfortable with the team.

Maybe now with some proper quality alongside him and a familiar parter in Toby he can hit new heights.

I hope he signs a new 5 year deal!
Welcome!

People who know far more about Ajax than I have suggested that Alderweireld is the more 'dominant' leader at the back than Vertonghen too. At least in their days together there.

Will be very interesting to see how Jan performs without the weight of expectation for being the most 'senior' CB in the squad.

:levyeyes:Levy will have a Spurs baby grow delivered in the morning.
Jan will have it deducted from his wages at the end of the month, plus his paternity leave or AWOL as Levy would see it, fined 2 weeks wages.

Hey all. New to the forum.

My opinion is that Verts puts in a good tackle. He is by far the most reliable CB Spurs have. He also gets under a players skin in a ploy to break their concentration. It's something that is handy to have and shows he is a competitor that wants to win. He is also fit enough to play Poch's system and strong enough to hold off top strikers. My only criticism is he lacks communication and leadership qualities...maybe because he is slightly uncomfortable with the team.

Maybe now with some proper quality alongside him and a familiar parter in Toby he can hit new heights.

I hope he signs a new 5 year deal!
Welcome to the forum and are you a greengrocer

Congrats to Vertonghen. Didn't even know he was expecting. Hopefully this keeps him determined and focused and we see Vertonghen at a consistent best next season alongside his friend.

I think the competition with Wimmer (who has looked good so far) and playing alongside his mate Toby is going to bring the best out of Jan this year. Hopefully Trippier can have a similar effect on Walker as Davies did on Rose and our defense might actually be pretty good this year.

I think the competition with Wimmer (who has looked good so far) and playing alongside his mate Toby is going to bring the best out of Jan this year. Hopefully Trippier can have a similar effect on Walker as Davies did on Rose and our defense might actually be pretty good this year.
Really do hope so, Jan has been off the pace for a while now and has looked a little sloppy in pre season, hopefully this will be the kick up the arse he needs!

Hey, new to the forum.

I also think Toby can bring the best out of Super Jan. He needs a decent CB with him at the back. Fazio was awful last season which didn't help !
We'll have a solid defence this year, Wimmer & Dier for cup matchs, Jan & Toby for league?

Jan was woeful again today, I think he needs dropping for a few games, the way he defended their goal was fucking diabolical. Wimmer to start next game.
Completely agree-needs a serious kick up the hole. Wimmer looks a fucking decent player, saw him a good few times last season and their defence was superb, I'd like to see him in for Verts next weekend and jan needs to take a long hard look at himself.
Him Lloris, Dembele and Chadli are the oldest and most senior players there and Lloris is the only one who hasn't let us down.
Although tbf to Dembele I think he has been let down by managers and systems as well-he obvs has the talent, was brilliant first season again-like Verts.
Belgians just too chilled out maybe!

very poor game by jan today. poch needs to rest him, let him think about lifting his performance - eg dembele.
personally i would play Toby and Dier as CB/s.
Really like Dier at CB, few brain farts last year but theres a definite future there for him-Carter-Vickers and Dier in a couple of years at CB would be fucking sweet if they keep progressing as they are.

very poor game by jan today. poch needs to rest him, let him think about lifting his performance - eg dembele.
personally i would play Toby and Dier as CB/s.

He was fucking terrible. But I think we need to stick with that back 4. We need to start getting some sort of understanding going.

We can't rip it up every time someone has a mare.

Unless that someone is Lamela.

:chadliblow:

I thought a free central role would suit him better but he's still a ghost. Some people like Soldado seem to be allergic to the perm.

Back
Top Bottom