Be like Sevilla; not Real Madrid

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

what you are aiming for, and what you realistically know you are likely to achieve are not mutually inclusive.
Im aiming for Karen Gillan. Last bird i knobbed wasnt even a redhead.
the club can aim for 4th in the knowledge that it may not, or is not likely to achieve that aim.(thats why, IMO, the gooners aint been near the title in years, and why some years they have scraped a CL spot. Cos they aimed for 4th. Now they have paid the library MK2, I think they are gonna adjust that aim upwards)
Course, if you aim for what you think you are likely to get, then in 10 yrs the EL becomes your aim, and the top 10 becomes whats likely.
Just like the Sugar years.

Again mate, your opinions on where we should be in the league are very different from Levy´s as confirmed by his statement today.

So while some fans may think 6-7th is ok and realistic, the club does not, and thats ultimately what counts.
We aim for top 4.

We realistically should finish around 5th or 6th.

Woolwich aim for the title. Haven't won it for years.

City aim for the title. Didn't win it this year.

Liverpool aim for CL football. Not gonna get it.

Real Madrid wanted to win La Liga. Not gonna happen.

It's not hard to understand mate.

We aim for top 4.

We aim for top and that is our target.
Not reaching our target means failing.
Not hard to understand either....

People saying its not our target have been soundly proven wrong by the chairmans words today.

CL is currently our aim. It has been, still is, and will be next year. Not getting it next year will be failure too.

A few fans dont decide whats realistic for the club. Its owners do.

6th is par for us. 4th was massively outperforming. We can't compete with the big boys until we fill a 50,000 seat stadium every week. Until then the author of the article is broadly correct. I agree with an earlier poster than the English fixture schedule is more grueling and the league has MUCH greater strength in depth. I bet you get far more impact injuries in the English league too.
Everyone else has a winter break. We have a December death march. It shows.

It's amusing when owners choose lofty goals and are also the reason those goals are nearly impossible.

"Hi poch, this season we would love you to get champions league, but we know its harder than ever to do so what with 5 other top teams going for those 4 places. We can't compete with those guys, and i accept that, so we'll be perfectly happy with europa league. If you can keep us in that top 6/7 that would be fantastic"

Why is it so hard to understand we're aiming for both? So if we don't get one, we hopefully get the other. And if we don't get any, we have a season out of europe to rebuild and concentrate on the league. What is difficult to understand about that?

Nearly impossible this year, given the change in personnel at the club and the young and relatively inexperienced squad we have.

So as nearly as impossible as the first season we got it....with a change in personnel at the club and the young and relatively inexperienced squad we had.

Not to mention lack of a world class goalkeeper and a "tactically clueless thieving buffoon" as the manager........

Again mate, your opinions on where we should be in the league are very different from Levy´s as confirmed by his statement today.

So while some fans may think 6-7th is ok and realistic, the club does not, and thats ultimately what counts.
This is silly. If Daniel Levy said our goal was to not be relegated, would you be happy if we had Newcastle's season? Of course not. We, the fans, each set our own expectations. If Daniel Levy said our goal was to win Champions League would you bitch and moan even more than you do now? Impossible.

We aim for top 4.

We realistically should finish around 5th or 6th.

Woolwich aim for the title. Haven't won it for years.

City aim for the title. Didn't win it this year.

Liverpool aim for CL football. Not gonna get it.

Real Madrid wanted to win La Liga. Not gonna happen.

It's not hard to understand mate.
OWNED!

Saying our 'financial clout' is good enough to be 4th when in reality we're 6th richest, both in terms of wages and turnover.

:avbfacepalm:

This is silly. If Daniel Levy said our goal was to not be relegated, would you be happy if we had Newcastle's season? Of course not. We, the fans, each set our own expectations. If Daniel Levy said our goal was to win Champions League would you bitch and moan even more than you do now? Impossible.

No but we have finished 4th twice in the last 5 years so in my opinion, comparing it to setting a target of winning the CL is whats silly.

Is it that beyond the realms of all reality to finish with 12 or so more points?

We had 8 more points at the end of last season. So basically, had we topped last seasons tally with another 4 points...(thats one win and a draw for crying out loud) we'd be in with a massive shout. Then we had the same squad, minus Lamela (who never featured and despite not being my favourite has still chipped in), Kane in this form, Rose in this form, and Dier, plus a mid season sacking and a caretaker for 6 months.

We are not 40 points off 4th, its a matter of beating the likes of Stoke, Burnley and Palace.

Last edited:
Nearly impossible? We´ve finished 4th twice in the last 5 years

1 trip to Champions League in 14 years of their ownership and still no stadium in sight which they've told us will solve our problems. Yet I'm sure you would be happy to see them sack their 10th manager. The common denominator of failure is ENIC, we've tried 10 managers. The managers aren't to blame at any more than a minimal level.

You constantly criticize Pochettino for saying we are seeking fourth but it is the club who are speaking outside both sides of their mouth.

Levy says in his statement, "In respect of driving higher revenues in order to enable greater investment in players, it is clearly evident that we need a ‘game changer’ to lift this Club to the next level - namely an increased capacity stadium. Currently we are competing for Champions League qualification whilst driving revenue in the smallest stadium of the top six clubs in the Premier League. The new stadium is, therefore, critical."

Levy openly deflects personal blame for lack of investment due to the size of our club, yet our managers are still expected to make top 4 anyway based on the evidence of sackings. Levy can't spend on players because of the size of the club but our managers should outperform the investment. Teflon Daniel.

Also, it has been eight years since the leader of the Northumberland Development Project Daniel Levy announced they were going to build a new stadium. He knew that the revenue to the club was a problem back then as well and yet the whole project has been a comedy of errors and delays. Assuming everything goes to plan (massive assumption) we're still four years away! Yet, no mention of personal failure there.

Ultimately, the only thing that ENIC have proved is that they are better owners than Alan fucking Sugar which isn't saying much.

1 trip to Champions League in 14 years of their ownership and still no stadium in sight which they've told us will solve our problems. Yet I'm sure you would be happy to see them sack their 10th manager. The common denominator of failure is ENIC, we've tried 10 managers. The managers aren't to blame at any more than a minimal level.

You constantly criticize Pochettino for saying we are seeking fourth but it is the club who are speaking outside both sides of their mouth.

Levy says in his statement, "In respect of driving higher revenues in order to enable greater investment in players, it is clearly evident that we need a ‘game changer’ to lift this Club to the next level - namely an increased capacity stadium. Currently we are competing for Champions League qualification whilst driving revenue in the smallest stadium of the top six clubs in the Premier League. The new stadium is, therefore, critical."

Levy openly deflects personal blame for lack of investment due to the size of our club, yet our managers are still expected to make top 4 anyway based on the evidence of sackings. Levy can't spend on players because of the size of the club but our managers should outperform the investment. Teflon Daniel.

Also, it has been eight years since the leader of the Northumberland Development Project Daniel Levy announced they were going to build a new stadium. He knew that the revenue to the club was a problem back then as well and yet the whole project has been a comedy of errors and delays. Assuming everything goes to plan (massive assumption) we're still four years away! Yet, no mention of personal failure there.

Ultimately, the only thing that ENIC have proved is that they are better owners than Alan fucking Sugar which isn't saying much.

As I keep mentioning.

Do you thinks it was wildly impossible to expect us match last years points tally?
Or absolutely insane to imagine topping last years points tally by 4pts?

That would have seen us 4th this year.

Taking more than 0 points off Stoke, and 1 point of Palace could have seen us 4th, had we not regressed so far off last season. We have gone backwards point wise. Backwards.
4th hasnt suddenly become an 80 point marker.

As I keep mentioning.

Do you thinks it was wildly impossible to expect us match last years points tally?
Or absolutely insane to imagine topping last years points tally by 4pts?

That would have seen us 4th this year.

Taking more than 0 points off Stoke, and 1 point of Palace could have seen us 4th, had we not regressed so far off last season. We have gone backwards point wise. Backwards.
4th hasnt suddenly become an 80 point marker.

If we'd beaten the scum twice last year we would have finished 4th. We took 4 points off those cunts this year - things are obviously getting better.

So as nearly as impossible as the first season we got it....with a change in personnel at the club and the young and relatively inexperienced squad we had.

Not to mention lack of a world class goalkeeper and a "tactically clueless thieving buffoon" as the manager........
I don't have the time to look at the figures, but I can GUARANTEE our squad now is younger, and also have less Premier League appearances between them. Probably by quite a lot.

Also, the gap in experience between Redknapp and Poch? Come on mate. Not even comparable.

I don't have the time to look at the figures, but I can GUARANTEE our squad now is younger, and also have less Premier League appearances between them. Probably by quite a lot.

Also, the gap in experience between Redknapp and Poch? Come on mate. Not even comparable.

bottom to 4th in 18 months

6 to 4th....?

Even thats open to dedate, 1 league cup in 15 years compared to Anals 1 league cup in 10 (and half a charity shield if we're splitting hairs).

Back
Top Bottom