Aaron Lennon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why?
apart from a deliberate cut back, most wingers who aim to cross into the box are playing percentage balls into areas they expect strikers to run in to. If no-one bothers to make the run are you expecting a winger to simply stop what he's doing and wait for a calling runner?
Of course they are all percentage balls, but the difference is that you increase the success % based upon the type of ball you put in and where your service is aimed at. If nobody is making a run and not in goal scoring position, holding up the ball is one of the few logical things you can do without just handing the ball over. If there are players in the box but it is far too crowded for players to make a run, they need to put the ball into the area that has the greatest success.

More often than not, Lennon had a tendency to break a run, get down to the end line, and force a cross that just seemed to be about getting a ball into the air than anyone in particular. Usually because he was fast but didn't have 100% control at the time. Quite often, these balls were floated in and collected by the GK, went over the end line, or floated way over to the other side of the box where nobody was in an attacking position.

wingers like Lennon when they attack the fullback are going to cross as soon as they get past, or see a gap to cross through, they are not going to agonise over whether one of their strikers or attacking midfielders are ideally placed for what they are about to sling over.
As Aberdeen Yid was saying, what Lennon's problem was, was the inconsistency of (the quality of) the final ball.
I get that and I completely agree with your point and AberdeenYid AberdeenYid that the biggest problem was the inconsistency of the final ball.

My issue is with Burko Burko claiming that the winger bears no other responsibility for accuracy other than getting the ball to or right around the penalty spot. Maybe the ideal spot isn't the penalty spot. Maybe it needs to be flung in low and fast, or needs to be a floating cross to the far post. There's no doubt that attacking players need to time their runs and work themselves into position to go after crosses, but the winger's responsibility isn't only to get the ball at the penalty spot and forget about everything else.

Of course they are all percentage balls, but the difference is that you increase the success % based upon the type of ball you put in and where your service is aimed at. If nobody is making a run and not in goal scoring position, holding up the ball is one of the few logical things you can do without just handing the ball over. If there are players in the box but it is far too crowded for players to make a run, they need to put the ball into the area that has the greatest success.

More often than not, Lennon had a tendency to break a run, get down to the end line, and force a cross that just seemed to be about getting a ball into the air than anyone in particular. Usually because he was fast but didn't have 100% control at the time. Quite often, these balls were floated in and collected by the GK, went over the end line, or floated way over to the other side of the box where nobody was in an attacking position.

I get that and I completely agree with your point and AberdeenYid AberdeenYid that the biggest problem was the inconsistency of the final ball.

My issue is with Burko Burko claiming that the winger bears no other responsibility for accuracy other than getting the ball to or right around the penalty spot. Maybe the ideal spot isn't the penalty spot. Maybe it needs to be flung in low and fast, or needs to be a floating cross to the far post. There's no doubt that attacking players need to time their runs and work themselves into position to go after crosses, but the winger's responsibility isn't only to get the ball at the penalty spot and forget about everything else.
righto

I've always liked Lennon and for me he'll go down as a great exciting player and I'm very glad to have seen him play live. I'll always remember his last minute goals against Woolwich and Liverpool, his winner against Chelsea. Him ripping Man Utd apart in the cup final, giving Evra a torrid time whenever we played them, as well as his debut season with us where he was ripping full backs apart, his outstanding performance at Highbury, his performances in the Champions League, especially against AC Milan.

But for whatever reason, he's NEVER pushed on. Maybe it was the players around him that made him excel, in his debut season he had Carrick feeding him balls and he was full of confidence and willing to beat a man. We sold Carrick and even though he was still quick and his following season provided some nice moments, he wasn't as good as his previous season. We then signed Modric, integrated Huddlestone into the side etc and he began to flourish again, added the likes of VDV over the years and he was at his best.

Modric went, Redknapp went, van der Vaart went and he stalled. Getting progressively worse every season. Still capable of causing problems when he wants but as someone mentioned, when it's his defensive work that gets the biggest praise nowadays, it's probably time we let him go. Anything over £1,000,000 would be fine for me as we'd have made some sort of profit. May seem low for someone of Lennons history and longevity at the club but if he's not wanted, no point holding out for the ridiculous £9,000,000 quoted, especially with 1 year left on his contract.

A shame that it's come to this really as the guy really could have had well over 500+ appearances for the club by the time of his retirement if he had pushed on or stayed consistent which is impressive in modern day football.

I would say that what hurt Lennon the most was Walker replacing Corluka at RB. Walker + Lennon was never a good combo, they are too similar and 'simple' footballers.

Fuck stats. If he gets to the byline and delivers a ball to the penalty spot or thereabouts he's done his job. The strikers need to get on the end of it.
Yet it's those stats which tell you if he's actually doing said job. Or are we on the honour system about how often he does it?

Still not sold - pi$$ed off that this not done yet.
Reckon other EPL teams (shame Hull relegated) will come in for him (say Watford, Sunderland) late hoping for a buy around £3mill, meanwhile other clubs saving on wages while we pay.
Come on Daniel get this one done so we can get that Bolasie chap.

The main point is delivering the ball to a decent area, people are wanting him to beat a man, and then at full pace be able to put a ball on someone's head. Ridiculous.

The main point is delivering the ball to a decent area, people are wanting him to beat a man, and then at full pace be able to put a ball on someone's head. Ridiculous.
Y, that's what a winger does. And at his level, the amount of times Lennon found the first fall back is embarrassing.

I make no apology for sounding like a victor meldrew, but the amount of modern footballers who can not cross a ball is shocking

Bloody hell I used to play wing to county level standard a few years ago and your job was to beat the full back and cross it, you don't need to put it on the strikers head, between the six yard line and penalty spot causes mayhem, Jesus that it is not hard even John chedozie could put a better cross in and he was seen at the time as a poor man Tony Galvin, who was a good winger and could actually cross the ball

Jonsey and co from the 60's ; maybe some of our players who can't pass a ball in the air whilst running; should watch how professional footballers actually run and crossed the ball. And were good at it.

I make no apology for sounding like a victor meldrew, but the amount of modern footballers who can not cross a ball is shocking
It's a hard thing to do, which is why even professional players struggle. I'm not on an Aaron Lennon crusade here, this is a comment on the expectations of all modern wingers to beat a man every time and deliver perfection, it's not possible...

It's a hard thing to do, which is why even professional players struggle. I'm not on an Aaron Lennon crusade here, this is a comment on the expectations of all modern wingers to beat a man every time and deliver perfection, it's not possible...
I don't think anyone wants "perfection" "every time".

Once every so often would be nice though.

No apologies you are right, even the best wingers don't deliver every time, its unreasonable to expect it

And to be fair my ranting is aimed at modern wingers in general who can't cross a ball, OK the game is quicker but then the pitches are better and the balls lighter

No apologies you are right, even the best wingers don't deliver every time, its unreasonable to expect it

And to be fair my ranting is aimed at modern wingers in general who can't cross a ball, OK the game is quicker but then the pitches are better and the balls lighter
And wingers that are one footed.

Here's an idea, train a wee bit longer everyday.

Back
Top Bottom