Aaron Lennon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How anybody can slag off Lennon is beyond me.

And all you stats bandits can fuck off too.
Because he's been shit the past few years. I don't care if he's been around awhile, he deserves criticism if he doesn't play well. Especially if his attitude has been poor and he's been causing no problems behind the scenes. Why should he be an exception?

Because he's been shit the past few years. I don't care if he's been around awhile, he deserves criticism if he doesn't play well. Especially if his attitude has been poor and he's been causing no problems behind the scenes. Why should he be an exception?

He's been poor for managers who use him incorrectly (although no worse than Lamela, to be honest). He was great for Martinez January onwards.

If used properly, he's still the best winger we've got. But no, he's being treated like a cunt by a managers who prefers a complete pretender in his place.

Some of the comments in this thread are a joke.

He's been poor for managers who use him incorrectly (although no worse than Lamela, to be honest). He was great for Martinez January onwards.

If used properly, he's still the best winger we've got. But no, he's being treated like a cunt by a managers who prefers a complete pretender in his place.

We don't play with traditional wingers going to the byline to cross. Pochettino want the ball on the deck and through the middle. He want the wingers to cut in, and he wants them to provide throughballs.

Lamela does that. He also does that well. Lennon did not to the standard required. Team needs come first.

He's been shit as long as we've been shit, its no suprise his dip in form occured when we went from being the most attractive side in the premiership to the football equivalent of the elephant man.

Once again, there's a sweeping statement with very likely no basis in fact. Please tell me in what way was Lennon great in his dozen or so Everton appearances? How many of these matches did you see? Do you know how many goals he scored? Assists he provided? Key passes that led to goals or chances? Quality of defensive work? Runs inside to pull defenders out of position?

Or did you use the phrase "great for Martinez", purely to back up an argument that otherwise would have no foundation?

We don't play with traditional wingers going to the byline to cross. Pochettino want the ball on the deck and through the middle. He want the wingers to cut in, and he wants them to provide throughballs.

Lamela does that. He also does that well. Lennon did not to the standard required. Team needs come first.

I'm not sure i've seen lamela do anything that well, certainly not on anything resembling a consistent basis.

Yet it's those stats which tell you if he's actually doing said job. Or are we on the honour system about how often he does it?

I know you're a massive advocate of stats based analysis, nothing wrong with that per se. But if Lennon was to cross the ball and it was successful, yet the keeper makes a blinding save then its not his fault for not recording the assist.

I think that is what I'm trying to say, it sounds right in my head. Basically a winger can put in 100 successful crosses yet get no assists? Got to look at the bigger picture.

I like(d) Lennon but for me the way he let Hazard or whoever it was run away from him without effort at Chelsea away after we controlled the first 20 minutes signalled the end for him I think. He didn't look bothered at all. He's given us some brilliant memories and like Kaboul, will be missed.

The main point is delivering the ball to a decent area, people are wanting him to beat a man, and then at full pace be able to put a ball on someone's head. Ridiculous.
Well, I can only speak for myself but I'm not saying that. My problem is that his end ball rarely ends up in a threatening position based on where the attacking threat is.

I'm not sure i've seen lamela do anything that well, certainly not on anything resembling a consistent basis.
You need to step back a notch and compare to what other attacking midfielders do. They get dispossessed and lose the ball just as much. It's the nature of the job. A lot of failure because you're attacking the back line. But when the play comes off, it's a very high quality chance. Lamela, when compared to other attacking midfielders, actually was doing it at a very high rate. The issue was our forwards frequently wasted those throughballs. That's also the reason Eriksen had about 1 assist from open play all year. He was making the passes. Other guys didn't finish those chances.

I know you're a massive advocate of stats based analysis, nothing wrong with that per se. But if Lennon was to cross the ball and it was successful, yet the keeper makes a blinding save then its not his fault for not recording the assist.

I think that is what I'm trying to say, it sounds right in my head. Basically a winger can put in 100 successful crosses yet get no assists? Got to look at the bigger picture.

I like(d) Lennon but for me the way he let Hazard or whoever it was run away from him without effort at Chelsea away after we controlled the first 20 minutes signalled the end for him I think. He didn't look bothered at all. He's given us some brilliant memories and like Kaboul, will be missed.
You're right about the stats issue. That's why scouts don't generally look at the number of assists, they look at the numbers of things like Key Passes, or successful passes into the box, to measure it.

The issue Lennon had was that Spurs don't play with traditional wingers crossing the ball. That style of play is increasingly less common in the league. This is partly because it's been shown to be a lower % method of creating chances (because converting a cross is actually really hard).

The last successful team built around crossing was Fergie's final United team. But it was also very unusual because it did not cross from wide areas, instead the wingers would cut in and cross from around the edge of the box. And it still didn't overcome the problem of converting crosses being very hard.

What you on Mick? You seem like a grumpy old Hector. I've tried to engage with you, but you're still behaving like a cunt - despite all your worthless assurances. You need to grow up in a hurry - comfortably the worst member on here. Wanker.
you however are a peerless and worthy contributor, who doesn't insult people, get drunk and slag everyone and everything off and generally act like a boorish arse.
You do not have the right to criticise my contribution when yours is as toxic as its possible to be, whenever the whim takes you.
So take your patronising attitude and stuff it back where it came from.
The guy trotted out his response to my post, and I read what it said - and had nothing to say that would make any difference, apart from what I had already said. I saw no benefit in arguing with the guy, as I felt there was nothing to gain in falling out over something as relatively meaningless as that.
And yet you - the fighting cock "Lone Ranger and sheriff", decide to disagree and start name calling.
I don't need to grow up at all sonny jim, I'm comfortable with the fact that the only person being obnoxious in this exchange is you.

Why is it always the case that the worlds biggest wankers spend all of their time calling everyone else one?

Why is it always the case that the worlds biggest wankers spend all of their time calling everyone else one?

imeter1-1.gif~c200

Once again, there's a sweeping statement with very likely no basis in fact. Please tell me in what way was Lennon great in his dozen or so Everton appearances? How many of these matches did you see? Do you know how many goals he scored? Assists he provided? Key passes that led to goals or chances? Quality of defensive work? Runs inside to pull defenders out of position?

Or did you use the phrase "great for Martinez", purely to back up an argument that otherwise would have no foundation?
I think the comments coming out of everton on how he shamed the rest of the team with his work ethic was one giveaway, I picked up on a few other comments from Everton players and the manager about his impact as well - but can't remember them word for word.
Didn't see anything negative

I think the comments coming out of everton on how he shamed the rest of the team with his work ethic was one giveaway, I picked up on a few other comments from Everton players and the manager about his impact as well - but can't remember them word for word.
Didn't see anything negative
he did fairly well at everton & was 1 of there few highlights from jan onwards.
i think in general he was seen as a success.
could still do a job for us & he gives us a different option. defensively good too.
i miss the little fella.
poch is out of order making him train with the kids (if true). very disrespectful.
notice how many people fall out with poch, yet its never poch's fault.
we will be in to double figures soon.

Back
Top Bottom