Real Madrid V TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am calm, and I am joshing.
I cant help that it's hard to understand the context of text. It depends on how you read it.
Maybe there should be different fonts?
Yet I thought the last sentence made it clear of the context.
He obviously never read my other post so I made the point again.
BT, SKY who cares as you say. I think it's bloody stupid to be there when we could have had a week at the training ground - it's another indicator that Levy is more concerned about money than the best possible league position.

I was reading the thread behind the match as I had recorded it. Sorry for jumping on an innocent mistake.
As far as the early kick off is concerned, because the "Audi Cup" is all about money and is not a real tournament, the Premier League can, quite rightly, tell us to fuck off when we whine about the fixtures being too close together.
If you're looking for someone to blame for this fiasco, look at the sinister bald bloke and his minions.
No problem, I was not admonishing you. I have explained.
I won't jump to conclusions until I know when we committed to this Audi Cup.
We could have before they decided to start the PL a week early. That would have seen 12 days before last game & kick off.
If we didn't then it's questionable and we cannot really grumble.
However, the PL set fixtures and TV change them.

BT, SKY who cares as you say. I think it's bloody stupid to be there when we could have had a week at the training ground - it's another indicator that Levy is more concerned about money than the best possible league position.
Yes Joe, I agree. But did when did we commit to this, before the PL start change from 16th Aug to 8th or after?
If it's the former we would have had 12 days.
If it's the latter, I agree.

It's not rolled out as an excuse for fatigue by many playing in that competition, so why should playing 3 days before a game matter now?

It's 2 games before a prem game not 1. All in the space of a week . I know it's only friendlies but it's still a bizarre set up

Yes Joe, I agree. But did when did we commit to this, before the PL start change from 16th Aug to 8th or after?
If it's the former we would have had 12 days.
If it's the latter, I agree.
The change from the 16th was made a long time ago. I remember it being discussed at the time - no one thought it would matter - well before Poch got the job. They don't spring these things on people with only 9 months notice. Poch did come out and say flying all over the world wasn't ideal preparation - now he has to explain the consequences of that statement. Levy's mugged him and us off again. I can't stand the little swindler.

Not sure about all the angst here.
What better way to train on your practiced formations and tactics than against real live opposition?

No-one busting their balls, and this is effective training

yee - haw, and we make some money out of it, as opposed to doing it at company expense.

I'd rather test my spare keeper and defensive combinations against Bale and Isco, than against the U19s squad, or departing failures.

Not sure about all the angst here.
What better way to train on your practiced formations and tactics than against real live opposition?

No-one busting their balls, and this is effective training

yee - haw, and we make some money out of it, as opposed to doing it at company expense.

I'd rather test my spare keeper and defensive combinations against Bale and Isco, than against the U19s squad, or departing failures.
Because it's not preparation for a serious test. We are playing Utd in a league match - it's not professional. Training isn't about playing good teams in the 5 days before a 12.45 ko away at Utd when tackles (Ramos) are flying in.

When I was in school I was a competitive freestyle skier and I got a chance to ski with Jonny Moseley about two years after he won gold at Nagano. The only thing that I asked him about his time at the Olympics was what his training was like, and he said that the day before his championship run was one of the hardest training sessions he's ever had in his life. Granted, two WILDLY different sports, but the point is that truly top level athletes are training CONSTANTLY and most people are looking at this from the perspective of amateurs. Just cause we would be knackered from 90 minutes on a Tuesday doesn't mean our boys will. Not to mention, today looked like they weren't even remotely trying.

That's fine but we're talking about a game of tactics well as fitness here. We have a couple of players that have never played in the Premier League who may well be in the match day squad, even the starting team if there are injuries or illness in the next couple of days - not at all impossible.

The opposition we are playing have new players as well. Surely we have drills and tactics to run through and practice? Travelling back from Germany on Thursday, heading to Manchester some time before Friday PM, kicking off at lunchtime on Saturday.....when does that happen?

Maybe we were playing the team and tactics we intend to employ against United as live practice. If so, looks like we're closer to the disjointed crap of last year than having 'got it' and being likely to emulate the handful of decent performances we had.

Just as many sports require recovery periods between games and events as well as training. Basically nobody is really stopping for much breath between tomorrow night's game and kick off of our first league game, a hugely tough fixture.

Oh and our squad is misbalanced and very thin too.

Last edited:
That's fine but we're talking about a game of tactics as well as fitness here. We have a couple of players that have never played in the Premier League who may well be in the match day squad, even the starting team if there are injuries or illness in the next couple of days - not at all impossible.

The opposition we are playing have new players as well. Surely we have drills and tactics to run through and practice? Travelling back from Germany on Thursday, heading to Manchester some time before Friday PM, kicking off at lunchtime on Saturday.....when does that happen?

Just as many sports require recovery periods between games and events as well as training. Basically nobody is really stopping for much breath between tomorrow night's game and kick off of our first league game, a hugely tough fixture.

Oh and our squad is misbalanced and very thin too.

Our squad being misbalanced and thin has nothing to do with Audi Cup though.

I understand the point you're making and I do agree with you. I'm just saying that fatigue shouldn't be the issue that it's being made out to be.

Well if you stick your neck out and all that... Are we going to win the league this year?

Sadly not Joe, I fear like you as we edge towards this franchise league, a good season is 5th a bad season is 7th an average season is 6th, we havent bought in the players for 4th - sad when we already know whats going to happen isnt it

Lets just hope we stay up there until stadium built

Back
Top Bottom