Leicester away, Saturday 3 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Didn't watch the game, but the last 3-4 pages were enough to suggest that the same whining self appointed experts are making the thread as pleasant to read as the Shoreham airport casualty list.
Fuck me, I never realised that supporting this club could be such a depressing experience

Do you think we could get the site sponsored by Dignitas?

Leicester were at home, yet you would have thought they were they way team.
Mahrez was their threat. Hit the post and scored. other than that Lloris, what 1 save?
Then they really didn't look like bothering us until they scored.
We may have been a bit impotent but fuck me the onus is on the home team to attack. Not sit back and defend hoping to hit you on the break.
This was the PL in form team and we should have done them.
If not for Chadli switching off we would have.

That gets me onto the point of Berahino. If we make him our 3rd most - or possibly our most - expensive player ever, where are we going to play this boy to enable him to score the 14(4 from the spot) goals a season? He played 38 games to get those league goals. He has to play week in week out to equal or better that.
Do we put him on the right and have another Chadli covering our right flank? Do we play him on the left and drop our best goalscoring midfielder. Do we play Kane in the centre and drop our only other goalscoring midfielder?

The onus is on the home team to do what it takes to get points.

As Ranieri mentioned afterwards the weather didn't suit our natural game. If you had seen us much recently you'd know we're very much about hustle, bustle, high pressing, and lots of direct pacey attacks. No way we could play that game Saturday otherwise every player would have been shot by half time and you would have just been able to play through us with your passing.

We had to play it smart and try to pick off a couple of counter attacks, so I wouldn't judge us just on that game alone. We wouldn't have scored so many or got so many points recently if that's how we set about every game.

Our starting 11 on Saturday cost under £15m (£7m of that on one player). We've got Inler and Kante to come into the middle when they have settled and that will help us to try and add a bit more possession football to our game as well.

Hello by the way, Leicester fan in peace.

Vertonghen really seems to have a bad attitude. Apart from his first season, he has Big Time Charlied his way through since. He couldn't wait to get off the pitch at Anfield season before last, and seems to be easy to get past.
Often missing when we concede from a cross - which is despairingly often - he is of little benefit to youngsters around him.
I believe, to be frank, that he lacks the courage to be a leader. Toby, on the other hand, has come in and immediately pointed out the lack of cover in front of them.
Time for Vertonghen to receive the reality check of the bench.
Alternatively, give the ponce a slap.

We have never had a solid left side.

Ben Davies can't do it on his own. Chadli does not help off the ball. Neither did Eriksen or Townsend or whoever else we use there. Until Poch sorts out our channels, no matter who we put in as a CB they will continue to have a face like a smacked arse.

Toby never made a single mistake last season. It took him a few mins as a Spurs player to give away penalties or look flustered. It's all about team shape. And poch using AM's as DM's and Chadli looking more like a striker than a midfielder is causing us issues.

You put Rose in front of Davies, and Chadli behind Kane and we will be a fortress and whatever CB we have: His form will improve.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/tottenham-the-problem-at-hand/

Tottenham: The Problem At Hand

TOPICS:Tottenham
AUG 22, 2015

Just briefly, because not everyone will have had the chance to see this afternoon’s games yet…

Tottenham drew with Leicester City at King Power today and, while superficially a creditable result, it highlighted a couple of obvious deficiencies which will prove to be very troubling if they’re not corrected.

The graphic below shows the visitors’ distribution in the final-third throughout the entire ninety minutes:

Screen-Shot-2015-08-22-at-18.56.57.png

(Courtesy of FourFourTwo).

The obvious point to make is that Spurs really struggled to penetrate their opponent’s penalty-box but, maybe more pertinently, they also failed to infiltrate the areas around Leicester’s area. The completed passes were – and the graphic reflects this – very formulaic, very safe and, largely, highly ineffective.

Leicester played very well and Claudio Ranieri and his technical staff have had a quick, visible impact on their defensive discipline and that’s been evident across all three of their opening games.

Still, that doesn’t provide full mitigation. Rather than being restrained by defensive rigidity or handicapped by an overly-cautious approach, Tottenham were really a product of their own squad composition.

No, Christian Eriksen wasn’t available today and that was obviously to Pochettino’s detriment, but even had he played the graphic above would likely have been much the same. Spurs don’t possess any back-shoulder threat; as fine a forward as Harry Kane is, his initial instinct will always be to come towards the play and to drop deep. Similarly, while the supporting players behind him all have individual merit, none of them show any real urgency going forward and all three of them – both this afternoon and in general – are far too eager to remain in shallow positions. Again, that’s not even really a criticism: as a collective, that is what they habitually do.

Today, Pochettino’s side faced a defence comprising two relatively immobile centre-halves who are both in their thirties, a vulnerable right-back in Ritchie De Laet, and a left-sided full-back who is more comfortable in an opponent’s half than he is his own.

Yet how many times did they look uncomfortable? How often where they turned around? How many times where any of them forced into isolated situations?

Because Tottenham have so little movement at the top of the pitch – no real pace, no elite one-on-one ability – their build-up phases are not only typically quite slow and subsequently easy to defend against, but they have to be incredibly intricate and accurate to be successful.

There’s nothing wrong with that and when it comes off it can look very impressive, but there still has to be a viable alternative. Spurs are not blessed with a lot of match-winners and they are not a Manchester City or a Chelsea, so they have to compensate for that with variety – not hordes of £25m players, but a flexible squad which can ask opposing defences a broader set of questions. A more physical player perhaps, or someone who is willing to consistently make the kind of runs which pull centre-backs out of position.

The defence is well-stocked and the midfield is reasonably eclectic, but the top of the formation has been neglected over the Summer and today was clear evidence of that.

Clinton N’Jie may help in time, but it’s not fair or realistic to expect a twenty-two year-old who has played fewer than fifty professional games to provide an instant solution to such a big problem. When fit, Alex Pritchard might also provide some welcome variety, but he too is more theory than reality and another player who must be allowed time to grow into relevance.

Most of the club’s supporters seem to accept that their side will be quite limited over the next few years –rightly so – but there’s a difference between being financial responsible and being recklessly cheap.

IMO the issue is pace. We have the skill, but Poch puts out such slow overall teams it hamstrings us.

Apologies if this has already been discussed earlier in the thread, but does anybody have a clue as to why Danny Rose isn't playing? And if he is fully fit, should we be concerned that his future at WHL is in question, bearing in mind that he was our most improved player last year and was probably our best player after Kane?

Well, judging from the total lack of response to my original post and the fact that the 'Danny Rose' thread hasn't been posted on for ages, I'm obviously the only person on this Forum who's even slightly concerned that he may be on his way out. Why else is he sitting on the bench - apparently fully fit - while Ben Davis does his best to not impress?

Well, judging from the total lack of response to my original post and the fact that the 'Danny Rose' thread hasn't been posted on for ages, I'm obviously the only person on this Forum who's even slightly concerned that he may be on his way out. Why else is he sitting on the bench - apparently fully fit - while Ben Davis does his best to not impress?
no idea mate, I though he got injured just before Utd and is still not fully fit. Chelsea have just bout a 20mill LB so don't think they'll buy Rose as well.

I agree Jan was bad.

But it was a great goal. The problem started with an old issue of ours switching off after we scored. (We have a young team)

It resulted in Davies being isolated 2 on 1. That was amazing management and was deliberate. Watch the whole thing.

That goal was Poch being out managed. Our wings are constantly attacked because they knew Dembele and Davies were on yellows so they doubled up.

Jan is a great defender. Had a shit game. Bentaleb is a great midfielder and he had a shit previous game.

I don't see Poch doing much of the opposite. What weak links was he telling us to attack? When have we seemed to have a plan outside possession adnauseum.

Poch is earning his money but from a tactician point of view, he's doing the bare minimum. And players like Lamela and even Bentaleb and Eriksen seem to be going backwards.

What are you on?

Jan a "great" defender?

Bentelab a "great" midfielder?

Both are no more than average and both can't even achieve that this season!

Neither of them are worth their place at the moment!

Poch "is earning his money"?????

Best of the lot!

:adelol::eriksenlol::freund::lennonlol::levywhoa::llorishuh::vert::soldadolol::walker-scream:

:pochbye:

What are you on?

Jan a "great" defender?

Bentelab a "great" midfielder?

Both are no more than average and both can't even achieve that this season!

Neither of them are worth their place at the moment!

Poch "is earning his money"?????

Best of the lot!

:adelol::eriksenlol::freund::lennonlol::levywhoa::llorishuh::vert::soldadolol::walker-scream:

:pochbye:

Sorry I don't call Bentleb a cunt like you do. What with you being a proper fan.

What are you doing out of the transfer thread? Get back in there, and keep wishing our players away. Perhaps you should support a team you don't think are full of cunts wearing the shirt?

Fair play, you are my fav knee jerk poster. I'm sure there are players out there that play a blinder every game.

Sorry I don't call Bentleb a cunt like you do. What with you being a proper fan.

What are you doing out of the transfer thread? Get back in there, and keep wishing our players away. Perhaps you should support a team you don't think are full of cunts wearing the shirt?

Fair play, you are my fav knee jerk poster. I'm sure there are players out there that play a blinder every game.

When any of players play like cunts that's exactly what I will call them as its the way I see it but it's fine if anyone disagrees and wants to debate the point.

This is a forum.

But when an ignorant self righteous twat like you comes on here spouting crap calling average players like the aforementioned "great" then I also will comment accordingly!

I note you haven't tried to defend your ridiculous comments!

A "great" midfielder we had, one of many, was Dave Mackay!

That's "great" you moron!

So according to you Bentelab is as good as Dave Mackay?

Off you jolly well fuck!

And FYI I've been a "proper fan" since the early 60s and a regular at the Lane so I'm entitled to comment as I think fit!

I've read some of other posters comments about you and how thick you are and I totally agree!

Now off you go down to Tescos, those shelves won't stack themselves.........

:akabusi:

When any of players play like cunts that's exactly what I will call them as its the way I see it but it's fine if anyone disagrees and wants to debate the point.

This is a forum.

But when an ignorant self righteous twat like you comes on here spouting crap calling average players like the aforementioned "great" then I also will comment accordingly!

Off you jolly well fuck!

And FYI I've been a "proper fan" since the early 60s and a regular at the Lane so I'm entitled to comment as I think fit!

I've read some of other posters comments about you and how thick you are and I totally agree!

Dave Mackay is great? Understatement. He's a legend. Thats the thing about knee jerkers, they tend to take things to extremes. Hey, lets mention one of our best players of all time in relation to a player who just turned 20.

:pochwtf:

Are you Cashspur? I'd mention Dembele and he's trump me with Ronaldo.

Didn't watch the game, but the last 3-4 pages were enough to suggest that the same whining self appointed experts are making the thread as pleasant to read as the Shoreham airport casualty list.
Fuck me, I never realised that supporting this club could be such a depressing experience

Do you think we could get the site sponsored by Dignitas?

What a cunt

Dave Mackay is great? Understatement. He's a legend. Thats the thing about knee jerkers, they tend to take things to extremes. Hey, lets mention one of our best players of all time in relation to a player who just turned 20.

:pochwtf:

Are you Cashspur? I'd mention Dembele and he's trump me with Ronaldo.

Cashspur?

It was you that called the 20 yr old "great"!

Nobody else!

You complete and utter twat!

:avbfu:

This is a forum.

Off you jolly well fuck!

www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/nabil-bentaleb.8858/page-84

You seem to think Bentalebs passing issues in one and a half games makes him worthy of being called a cunt.

Short memory. It will be a lot of fun watching Bentaleb tear your opinion to shreds. He has character unlike you. And will be working like a demon to right his game.

You don't scratch the surface. It takes something as obvious like a bad pass that results in a goal to register as a negative for you.

hurts, doesn't it boy? Yep that's people like you I was talking about.
But note, I didn't watch the game, so I didn't pass empty, meaningless and dogshit comments.
Only comments about the cock knockers who think they have an answer for everything.

- you're a joke.

That's a long post since I didn't actually say a word.

Pretty telling that you spout about lack of quality posters while making gay slurs.

It's pretty spectacular how delusional my fan club is. It's an absolute badge of honor that a homophobe like you does not like me. I'm delighted we do not get along.

That's a long post since I didn't actually say a word.

Pretty telling that you spout about lack of quality posters while making gay slurs.

It's pretty spectacular how delusional my fan club is. It's an absolute badge of honor that a homophobe like you does not like me. I'm delighted we do not get along.
cock knocker = wanker
- you wanker.............

Back
Top Bottom