Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How's Thanksgiving going btw?
Thanks for asking. It was terrific. Lots of young kids in my family, so we celebrate early---everyone left about an hour ago. My parents, my siblings and their families, my wife's parents and brother and my great aunt and uncle come over to our house every year. Great food. Lots of laughs. It really is the best day of the year for me, I think.

Thanks for asking. It was terrific. Lots of young kids in my family, so we celebrate early---everyone left about an hour ago. My parents, my siblings and their families, my wife's parents and brother and my great aunt and uncle come over to our house every year. Great food. Lots of laughs. It really is the best day of the year for me, I think.
Nice one Yinzy, and Spurs did their little bit. That never used to happen. Peace be with you all.

Nice one Yinzy, and Spurs did their little bit. That never used to happen. Peace be with you all.
To you and yours too, JC.

And Spurs certainly made it a perfect day. I'm going to read through the match thread tonight or tomorrow to see others' opinions, but I thought that was the kind of match we would not have won in the past. We completely dominated possession; hit the woodwork twice. Very unlucky and frustrating to have not scored halfway through the second half. You could have expected us to either end up with a draw or give up a cheap one somewhere along the line. I really think we've turned a corner.

To you and yours too, JC.

And Spurs certainly made it a perfect day. I'm going to read through the match thread tonight or tomorrow to see others' opinions, but I thought that was the kind of match we would not have won in the past. We completely dominated possession; hit the woodwork twice. Very unlucky and frustrating to have not scored halfway through the second half. You could have expected us to either end up with a draw or give up a cheap one somewhere along the line. I really think we've turned a corner.
I thought we were too slow, but I was wrong. I like our crazy football, but cool is ok too.

I thought we were too slow, but I was wrong. I like our crazy football, but cool is ok too.
Thought it was part of the game plan, fielded a strong team capable of winning at a slower tempo. We can do that now as well, because of our strong defence. Looking forward to Chelsea, I have a good feeling about the game

He's on four yellows now, and I wonder if maybe it would be better if he got his 5th sooner than later. Wimmer against Newcastle wouldn't worry me, but fuck around and lose Jan against Southampton we might have an issue (despite their recent run of poor form).

How Can Spurs Regain Their Steely Defensive Solidity?

How Can Tottenham Hotspur Regain Their Steely Defensive Solidity?
By Sam Tighe, World Football Tactics Lead Writer Dec 17, 2015

Tottenham Hotspur have enjoyed a hugely productive 2015-16 season under Mauricio Pochettino, winning the hearts and minds of many a neutral—and reinvoking deeper attachments with their own fanbase as well—thanks to their homegrown efforts.

The season started with a disappointing 1-0 loss to Manchester Unitedat Old Trafford, courtesy of a rather remarkable Kyle Walker own goal, but it picked up dramatically in the weeks to follow. Until defeat toNewcastle United on Sunday, Spurs had gone 14 league games without losing—a hell of a run for such a young side.

Harry Kane shooting to form, Mousa Dembele refinding his brilliance, Dele Alli and Eric Dier’s first England call-ups—the storylines have, without doubt, been overwhelmingly positive. Given Spurs seem to often find themselves in a perpetual state of crisis—be it because of transfer duds, managerial sackings or post-match interviews by Tim Sherwood—it’s all the more surprising.

But over the last month or so they have faltered ever so slightly. Wins have turned to draws, and sharp, incisive play has eroded into sloppier work. The two most recent showings—the 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion and the 2-1 loss to Newcastle—sowed the story of a side that is going through a bit of a rough patch and may be lacking confidence.

The UEFA Europa League campaign has certainly been a factor, and while Pochettino and his squad have clearly enjoyed the road so far, there’s no doubt it has taken a little something out of the players. Harry Kane missed the final group game against Monaco, but that was the first one he’d sat out all year. The first-team squad went out to Azerbaijan and back to face Qarabag late on a November Thursday, then played Chelsea three days later.

According to WhoScored.com, only 15 Tottenham players have played 200 or more Premier League minutes, with Pochettino opting to use a small pool of players to get the job done at weekends. That’s the same number as Leicester City, who have played four fewer games, three fewer than Manchester City and six fewer than Manchester United.

Some managers prefer not to operate with a sprawling squad, and Pochettino has shown a tendency to develop a trusted selection and stick with it. That’s fine, but the odd tweak is required to ensure the approach doesn’t become stale.

Suggesting Pochettino simply rest players may make for some reductive analysis, but the notion certainly has its merits. Yes, Nabil Bentaleb is on the comeback trail and could give Dier a much-needed weekend off—he’s put in two iffy performances in a row—and sure, Kane could sit out, but who would assume the role of attacking fulcrum in the side?

That’s an answer even Pochettino can’t find, so we must look to more solvable puzzles. Of late, Spurs’ steely defensive solidity has slipped away.

Earlier in the season, the central-defensive duo of Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld were praised to the hilt, their synergy as compatriots shining through on the pitch. It did take them four league games to register their first clean sheet, but plenty more followed. Just shy of a third of their divisional games have resulted in shutouts, while they’ve only conceded more than one goal three times. Stability and familiarity has been their friend.

2d6b680643a6d9ad01c168e40fb6991e_crop_exact.jpg

Alderweireld, an £11 million summer acquisition from Atletico Madrid, shocked no one by performing so well given how impressive he was for Southampton on loan the previous season. Vertonghen was enjoying a renaissance following 12 to 18 months of largely disinterested showings.

But Vertonghen’s recovery has hit a wall, his form dipping. The right side of Spurs’ defensive line is far more solid and reliable than the left, with Vertonghen’s performances regressing in alarming fashion. The Belgian is understandably attracting a bit of flak—particularly for his conduct for both Newcastle goals last time out—but there are other issues plaguing the side too.

There’s a correlation between Vertonghen’s initial dip and the reintroduction of Danny Rose into the starting XI. That’s not to say it’s all Rose’s fault—it isn’t—but his playing style changes the dynamic of Tottenham’s formation and exposes new weaknesses, as well as digs out fresh strengths.

b77baf4c72f5c277b3db981b4200ed5f_crop_exact.jpg

Rose is Pochettino’s pet project; since arriving at the club in 2014, it’s almost as if he’s made it his personal mission to drastically improve the Englishman as a player. That’s left £10 million man Ben Davies in the cold a little despite being one of Pochettino’s first purchases—a strange situation indeed.

The two full-backs are near polar opposites despite playing the same position. Davies is smart and considered, more defensively stable and tactically astute (when playing with confidence), while Rose attacks with speed and directness, relying on his physical attributes to bail him out when tracking back.

Both are good players, and both have their uses. Starting Rose brings great thrust, purpose and a goal threat from the left flank—his tendency to take the outside channel a nice complement to Spurs’ wingers’ more inverted propensities—while starting Davies helps Vertonghen and increases the solidity shown by the defensive line.

Given the fact Tottenham’s midfield intensity has dropped off a little recently, and results have worsened a little in conjunction, it’s arguable the quickest way to shore things up would be to reintroduce Davies to the XI. It’s a defensive-minded swap at left-back, but it could also coax Vertonghen back into form. Two birds with one stone.

Pochettino’s tendency to use a small squad and his slight mismanagement of his striking options—backup to Kane is one of Nacer Chadli, Son Heung-Min or Erik Lamela, who are all wingers who have occasionally played up front in less physical leagues—means it’s conceivable the goals will dry up a little later on.

Should that happen for any reason, Spurs need to make themselves preposterously difficult to score against once again. Amazingly, Ben Davies might just be the solution.

I think Tighe has a point Deadwood'sPostMatch Deadwood'sPostMatch .
We've seen this before with Verts under AVB...he's not happy being constantly exposed by his LB.
Perhaps part of the problem is the combination of Rose & Eriksen on the left flank, Bentaleb has been missing also.
IMHO sometimes you need to concede the threat that the opposition provides and adjust your choice of defensive players
accordingly, regardless of form.

How Can Spurs Regain Their Steely Defensive Solidity?

How Can Tottenham Hotspur Regain Their Steely Defensive Solidity?
By Sam Tighe, World Football Tactics Lead Writer Dec 17, 2015

Tottenham Hotspur have enjoyed a hugely productive 2015-16 season under Mauricio Pochettino, winning the hearts and minds of many a neutral—and reinvoking deeper attachments with their own fanbase as well—thanks to their homegrown efforts.

The season started with a disappointing 1-0 loss to Manchester Unitedat Old Trafford, courtesy of a rather remarkable Kyle Walker own goal, but it picked up dramatically in the weeks to follow. Until defeat toNewcastle United on Sunday, Spurs had gone 14 league games without losing—a hell of a run for such a young side.

Harry Kane shooting to form, Mousa Dembele refinding his brilliance, Dele Alli and Eric Dier’s first England call-ups—the storylines have, without doubt, been overwhelmingly positive. Given Spurs seem to often find themselves in a perpetual state of crisis—be it because of transfer duds, managerial sackings or post-match interviews by Tim Sherwood—it’s all the more surprising.

But over the last month or so they have faltered ever so slightly. Wins have turned to draws, and sharp, incisive play has eroded into sloppier work. The two most recent showings—the 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion and the 2-1 loss to Newcastle—sowed the story of a side that is going through a bit of a rough patch and may be lacking confidence.

The UEFA Europa League campaign has certainly been a factor, and while Pochettino and his squad have clearly enjoyed the road so far, there’s no doubt it has taken a little something out of the players. Harry Kane missed the final group game against Monaco, but that was the first one he’d sat out all year. The first-team squad went out to Azerbaijan and back to face Qarabag late on a November Thursday, then played Chelsea three days later.

According to WhoScored.com, only 15 Tottenham players have played 200 or more Premier League minutes, with Pochettino opting to use a small pool of players to get the job done at weekends. That’s the same number as Leicester City, who have played four fewer games, three fewer than Manchester City and six fewer than Manchester United.

Some managers prefer not to operate with a sprawling squad, and Pochettino has shown a tendency to develop a trusted selection and stick with it. That’s fine, but the odd tweak is required to ensure the approach doesn’t become stale.

Suggesting Pochettino simply rest players may make for some reductive analysis, but the notion certainly has its merits. Yes, Nabil Bentaleb is on the comeback trail and could give Dier a much-needed weekend off—he’s put in two iffy performances in a row—and sure, Kane could sit out, but who would assume the role of attacking fulcrum in the side?

That’s an answer even Pochettino can’t find, so we must look to more solvable puzzles. Of late, Spurs’ steely defensive solidity has slipped away.

Earlier in the season, the central-defensive duo of Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld were praised to the hilt, their synergy as compatriots shining through on the pitch. It did take them four league games to register their first clean sheet, but plenty more followed. Just shy of a third of their divisional games have resulted in shutouts, while they’ve only conceded more than one goal three times. Stability and familiarity has been their friend.

2d6b680643a6d9ad01c168e40fb6991e_crop_exact.jpg

Alderweireld, an £11 million summer acquisition from Atletico Madrid, shocked no one by performing so well given how impressive he was for Southampton on loan the previous season. Vertonghen was enjoying a renaissance following 12 to 18 months of largely disinterested showings.

But Vertonghen’s recovery has hit a wall, his form dipping. The right side of Spurs’ defensive line is far more solid and reliable than the left, with Vertonghen’s performances regressing in alarming fashion. The Belgian is understandably attracting a bit of flak—particularly for his conduct for both Newcastle goals last time out—but there are other issues plaguing the side too.

There’s a correlation between Vertonghen’s initial dip and the reintroduction of Danny Rose into the starting XI. That’s not to say it’s all Rose’s fault—it isn’t—but his playing style changes the dynamic of Tottenham’s formation and exposes new weaknesses, as well as digs out fresh strengths.

b77baf4c72f5c277b3db981b4200ed5f_crop_exact.jpg

Rose is Pochettino’s pet project; since arriving at the club in 2014, it’s almost as if he’s made it his personal mission to drastically improve the Englishman as a player. That’s left £10 million man Ben Davies in the cold a little despite being one of Pochettino’s first purchases—a strange situation indeed.

The two full-backs are near polar opposites despite playing the same position. Davies is smart and considered, more defensively stable and tactically astute (when playing with confidence), while Rose attacks with speed and directness, relying on his physical attributes to bail him out when tracking back.

Both are good players, and both have their uses. Starting Rose brings great thrust, purpose and a goal threat from the left flank—his tendency to take the outside channel a nice complement to Spurs’ wingers’ more inverted propensities—while starting Davies helps Vertonghen and increases the solidity shown by the defensive line.

Given the fact Tottenham’s midfield intensity has dropped off a little recently, and results have worsened a little in conjunction, it’s arguable the quickest way to shore things up would be to reintroduce Davies to the XI. It’s a defensive-minded swap at left-back, but it could also coax Vertonghen back into form. Two birds with one stone.

Pochettino’s tendency to use a small squad and his slight mismanagement of his striking options—backup to Kane is one of Nacer Chadli, Son Heung-Min or Erik Lamela, who are all wingers who have occasionally played up front in less physical leagues—means it’s conceivable the goals will dry up a little later on.

Should that happen for any reason, Spurs need to make themselves preposterously difficult to score against once again. Amazingly, Ben Davies might just be the solution.

The examples they used are pretty ridiculous tbf. The first pic against Sunderland you can't even see Davies close to Vertonghen...it's just that Vertonghen defended the situation well but that had nowt to do with Davies being there.

The Newcastle pic it was clear as day Rose was instructed to play left wing later on in that game in search of a winning goal. It's not the 'norm' for Rose to be that far away from Jan...it was simply because he was instructed to push further up.

Vertonghen had 1 pretty shocking game this season...against Leicester away...Davies started and not Rose that game so there's no correlation at all.

Back
Top Bottom