Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace - FA CUP 5th Round

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I saw the team sheet and winced a little bit tbh. I accept the arguments about rotation, and we have bigger fish to fry, but to go out to Palace at home is a bit shit. I don't want to go overboard on Bentaleb, but this isn't just down to form - as you say his attitude is unacceptable and a detriment to the amazing team spirit Poch has built. It's difficult to like him at the moment.

Agreed, it was a bad day but we still did enough to win that in fairness. Alli's shot that hit both posts, his header off the line etc etc.. One more thing that Cabaye is one dirty Cunt. In the game aginst them in the league he was comitting bookable offences all game and the same today, and yet it took till near the end before he got booked, he really is a shitbag.

Reality check. Lose this one, lose to Fiorentina, lose our next 2 in the league - shows how quickly the season can be over.

Maybe we'll look back and see this game as the kick we needed? The reminder that we're not the finished article - especially in the attacking four.

I've been slightly uncomfortable for a few games now. I don't think our front 4 (whoever's played there) have had great games for the past few. (Our back 6 and Hugo have just been immense though.)

But I'm gutted. I had this horrible tiny inkling of hope that the double was on. It's hope that kills you....

We've got to enjoy this season lads. Hopefully the crowd roars them on on Thursday....

Oh, and I hate to say it, but time to cash in on Nabil.

We have a TEN POINT lead over manchester united. We have about the same points as we have had in previous years this time of the year. Our season is over if we truly mess it up. i am looking at manchester united at the moment and they are AWFUL... the same goes for city.To fail to achieve top 4 this season would be a true failure in my eyes given the circumstance, not really upset if we get knocked out of the europa or do not wion the league.

I haven't seen any proof of this attitude thing, tbh. My biggest worry is his shocking positioning and his complete disregard to tactical discipline. So many times did he follow the ball out e.g. in front of a fullback only for Palace to pass inside and have 2 players running at our central defenders - and Nabil just jogging casually back doing nothing to get back to cover the space.

He is beginning to reek of instinct player - someone who looks a world beater because of natural ability on the ball and/or athletic profeciency, but who in reality is severely lacking in basic concepts, tactics and team discipline.

And that is just unacceptable as a part of a midfield 3 in a team, whose succes is built on structure, discipline and patience.

I can't offer proof, but the jogging back thing is part of it. He knows what he should be doing. His showboating against Monaco, and his performance today, point to a disaffected player. Also the little row he had with Rose in that training video (don't ask me to find it) reveal someone who doesn't appear to be buying into the 'team' ethos.

I get the exact same feeling as you do when watching him play. I will say this though. As much as it looks like his attitude is shit, I doubt it actually is. We've seen it several players and Poch. If the right attitude isn't there, they simply do not play. So Bentaleb playing today tells, he's still doing alright in the training and with the squad spirit imho.
:paulinhobored: Played when he was on the way.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-25183-1388704824-7.gif

I'm gutted we went out.

Lamela should have started, so should Chadli. They're not getting game time, why not start them?

Didn't see today so I can't judge Son, but it seems he weakens our attack on first glance. He needs to be scoring far more. Why drop a goal machine like Chadli for Son? We didn't need to press the ball like crazy today, we just needed the win.

I'm starting to get a little edgey though. Last season fell apart at this exact moment; out in Europa, out in the cup and it was all over in 2 weeks. We're now out of a cup, just like last time. We need to win the next 2-3 games to try build some momentum. No more resting players, play a strong team in every game until we've stablised a bit. I know it's only 1 draw and 1 loss, but moment is easy come easy go.

On the bright side, it would be nice to play once-twice a week without massive fixture congestion.

Touche. And hard to argue against that. It'll make my point even more sitting on the fence. I think, there's no way that Poch plays anyone that he has given up on, and I still think we've seen this a number of times. I do however agree that he'll give people chances at times when it - at least from the outside - looks like it'll be very hard to win back Poch's trust as was the case with Paulinho and a few others. Whether Bentaleb is dangerously close to loosing Poch's trust or just had his confidence shot remains to be seen.

Touche. And hard to argue against that. It'll make my point even more sitting on the fence. I think, there's no way that Poch plays anyone that he has given up on, and I still think we've seen this a number of times. I do however agree that he'll give people chances at times when it - at least from the outside - looks like it'll be very hard to win back Poch's trust as was the case with Paulinho and a few others. Whether Bentaleb is dangerously close to loosing Poch's trust or just had his confidence shot remains to be seen.

Poch has to give Bentaleb the opportunity to prove him right or wrong, and performances like this will only prove one thing.

Bentaleb came from relative obscurity and performed a role better than his peers were at the time, but the competition and progress has increased, yet he seems to have stood still. Needs a wake up call.

Didn't see today so I can't judge Son

Let me guess.... It starts with 'M' and ends with 'ity' and sounds a bit like 'Man, Leicester are shitty', it plays in baby blue and got f'ed up the A by the russian mob today, and it's where you belong. Ya' cunt.

You had to watch City, didn't you :llorisserious:

Just watched the highlights twice over. From that package we had more chances. The goal we conceded was a lack of concentration and piss poor defending. Good finish you can't blame Vorm. He's six yards out under no pressure and smashed it in the roof. The Oduwa chance was poor he could have took a touch and then tried hitting the target, even if he never got a shout the header should have been on target. Son done really well for the Alli chance that hit both posts. We couldn't have been any more unlucky with that chance. Kanes free kick was denied by a fine save. We where nowhere near our best from what I saw but far from my definition of shit. I would say rather unlucky on the whole.

This.....which is why I refused to get carried away with all this "gonna win the league" nonsense. People set themselves up to fall. The fact is that if we end the season in the top four then that is a great achievement for this young side, and a sign of really progress. People need to stop letting good runs convince them we're going to win everything. It's greedy and self defeating. As Poch says, one game at a time. We've had two disappointing results (from a certain point of view) and it will show us just what this team is capable of in the manner of our response.
Not nice to go out of the FA cup tho...regardless of the dream v reality scenario. If any one of the cunts on here says it's a blessing to get knocked out of the FA cup, then fuck right off. If anyone says our season is over after one bad result...then you fuck off as well.

Still much to play for. Top four at the start of this season would have had you all ovulating.

Now let's get back to basics, finish up the league & see where this very young team can go from here. :walker-scream:

Palace fan in peace, My Mum is from Harringay and my old Nan lived on Lordship lane and many moons ago 14-16 yr old I stood on the shelf watching Spurs when Palace were playing away game up north back in the old 3rd division days.
until just after the Barry Daines testimonial when I felt like I was cheating my real love and home team Palace, so gave up on my two team allegiance.

Thought the writing was on the wall for this Fa cup game especially after you had a game Thursday, that was the telling factor imho as you looked knackered 2nd half,
Dreaded the game myself after all going into the game Spurs unbeaten for what it it 9 games? Palace mostly shlt for those last 9, thought we were unlucky at Selhurst v you when Alli scored that peach we gave you a good game at the lane earlier in the season.
Today we had our fair share of chances and played well, the ref was giving Spurs everthing 1st half.
Anyway fingers crossed you don't let the @rse win the title! you must do them next week is it? good luck
Am chuffed to bits to beat the Spurs today us long suffering Palace fans dont get much glory

Good luck for the rest of the season dont fall apart now ffs

Ps The Mullery thing goes way back to the 76 season when he was Brighton manager and then when he was our manager he was fooking shlt ;) not many have any time for him whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom