Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Me too. He’s not a pacy winger. He’s not really a support striker. He’s a skilful, tenacious, dirty fucker with a wide array of passing. I reckon he could be easily converted to a holding midfielder.

I'm sorry but the notion of Lamela as a central midfielder is almost comical. He does not have a wide array of passing at all, go and watch some videos of Modric passing to see what a wide array of passing looks like. Show me one occurrence of Lamela hitting a flat across the field pass. Show me an example of him hitting a right footed pass aerially, or with the outside of his foot accurately and consistently.

Lamela basically has two types of passes - side footed along the ground and aerially with the inside of his left foot with the ball swinging from left to right at a 3/4 pace. So, for example, if he sees Trippier in space on the right, he could only play a pass that bends towards the side of the pitch and not the goaline, so Trippier would have to check his run rather than running on to the ball. Think Winks' pass for Trippier's cross for Dele's goal against Madrid. And Winks could go the other way with his left foot had Davies been in space.

Lamela would simply gravitate to left with everything does.

And a top quality CM really does need to be comfortable on both feet or they can be easy to disposses.

Could he do a job in CM? Probably. But why, if you're a team with big ambitions, would you play players in a position where they can merely do a job when you've got plenty of players better on that position?

Total non starter.

I'm not wild about a dedicated holding midfield role, but I think he'd be a stud in a box-to-box midfielder role.

Di Maria is one of the most one footed players in elite football. His best season came as a central midfielder in a Champions League winning team, in which he got man of the match in the final.

Interested to see where Lamela fits in when we decide to play 352 again. Because you'd think Poch would play him deeper instead of one of the two up top.

The Hoover is a wee fannybag and an embarrassment to his family. He must perform like he did against Fulham for the remainder of the season or he will continue to be an overpaid waster, in my eyes. Last chance, Hoovs, last chance

People have been saying the same thing for 5 years.

That was against a Fulham team that got relegated, and you see many of the same things as in the game on Saturday.

Incidentally, we scored the winner when he was subbed. Hard to say there's been any great improvement. Same as always IMO.

.. With his non existent right foot.

I don't think Lamela has the quickness of thought & the instinctive requirements to be a top central midfielder. I think his quality comes from a constant willingness to press with the occasional glimpse of attacking quality with a goal or pass. I still do think that he should be striving for double digits with goals as well as double digits in assists across all competitions this year when called upon playing further up the pitch.

I don't think Lamela has the quickness of thought & the instinctive requirements to be a top central midfielder. I think his quality comes from a constant willingness to press with the occasional glimpse of attacking quality with a goal or pass. I still do think that he should be striving for double digits with goals as well as double digits in assists across all competitions this year when called upon playing further up the pitch.

In a midfield 2, sure. 100% agree. Funnily enough, I think Lamela is at his best when he hasn't got time to think.

You only have to look at almost every compilation video of him to see all of his work comes from a deep central position.

End of the day, none of us know. Our formation and style of play is so fluid that alot of our attacking players play deep at times and don't really have set positions besides Dier who is primarily central midfield. Even then, he drops back into defence.

I think he has alot of traits that would be good on the left of a midfield three. Then again, what do I know? As long as he can keep coming on and changing games, the better.

In a midfield 2, sure. 100% agree. Funnily enough, I think Lamela is at his best when he hasn't got time to think.

You only have to look at almost every compilation video of him to see all of his work comes from a deep central position.

End of the day, none of us know. Our formation and style of play is so fluid that alot of our attacking players play deep at times and don't really have set positions besides Dier who is primarily central midfield. Even then, he drops back into defence.

I think he has alot of traits that would be good on the left of a midfield three. Then again, what do I know? As long as he can keep coming on and changing games, the better.

The only thing I want out of him this year is 10+ goals across 50 odd games he could be involved in and 10+ assists. If he does that he's had a great season after so many stop start campaigns. Exactly the same from Lucas as well. If both can hit these figures they've done their part + more over the course of a whole season. Both have 1 each so far so it looks like they've started on the right foot

The only thing I want out of him this year is 10+ goals across 50 odd games he could be involved in and 10+ assists. If he does that he's had a great season after so many stop start campaigns. Exactly the same from Lucas as well. If both can hit these figures they've done their part + more over the course of a whole season. Both have 1 each so far so it looks like they've started on the right foot

I'd expect that from all of our attacking players with the squad we have to be honest.

Dele, Kane, Lucas and Lamela all on 1 for either goals or assists so far is promising after just 2 games.

I'd expect that from all of our attacking players with the squad we have to be honest.

Dele, Kane, Lucas and Lamela all on 1 for either goals or assists so far is promising after just 2 games.

Good to see when Eriksen & Son haven't really got the ball rolling with their seasons yet as well. A season where the scoring burden is shared across a lot of players will be a help to Kane if we can continue how we have started. The boy needs a bit of a rest when it comes to constantly falling on him to be our talisman

I'm fucking loving the disagrees that I'm getting for wishing Lamela in central midfield.

:tobyarm:
It's too FIFA for me bro.

He hasn't shown that he has the presence, strength or defensive ability (not just pressing but correct body shape, positioning, tracking, communicating etc) to play there.

At least back when we all said Dier for DM there was some thought behind it. This feels lazy and forced. A box to box ffs, pass me the blunt.

Yeah, because moving a midfielder from one midfield role to another is absolutely the same thing as moving a center back to wide forward.
Toby played quite a lot at fullback for club and country. Fullback to winger not much of a stretch.
Hair more suited for the final third too. Similar to Lamela. He ain't hanging with Kante, Matic, Keita etc in CM with that Barnet.
Plus Toby's foreign. Leave the defending to the British lions.

Back
Top Bottom