Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I once scored with a Norweigan girl, she didn't speak English and I didn't speak Norweigan. Didn't matter. If you've got the skills, you've got the skills. Lamela will be fine.
44059-are-you-a-wizard-Ls0H.jpeg

This is week, we found out Eriksen was more of a Levy purchase.
So, I sincerely really respect and thank Levy for that.

But the more and more I hear AVB speak about Lamela, I feel that Lamela was an AVB (and Baldini) purchase.

Here's what AVB said of him today:

"His qualities are immense, they are not in doubt, but we just didn’t have enough time with him (for Sunday) due to his late arrival in the transfer window and the international game he played," Villas-Boas said ahead of the Europa League game against Tromso on Thursday evening. It was finally good for us to have a few days training with the team and there is a possibility (he could start against Tromso). He is selected for the game and a player of his quality will threaten to be in the team very soon. He has played in different positions up front from a young age. When he left River Plate, first he played behind the striker, then on the left, then as a right winger. The experience he has in three positions means he is creative in all three positions."

... I saw that against Norwich, Lamela came on for LW.
I just hope that Lamela plays on the RW (and Townsend on the LW). Lamela is best at right wing. As @ VirginiaSpur VirginiaSpur once said ... Lamela is one of those players who actually knows how to play as an inverted winger. Roma has nurtured and developed him into such a player.

what makes you think Eriksen is a Levy purchase?

Eriksen has also revealed he signed after chairman Daniel Levy wrapped up negotiations within days. He explained that Liverpool never followed up their initial interest in him and insisted it was “the big men” - Levy and Technical Director Franco Baldini - who showed that Spurs meant business.

Eriksen said:

“I talked a little bit with the manager but I had more to do with the chairman and the director Baldini. They were they guys who really had the right words.
“It really impressed me that they wanted it so badly and wanted to do it so quickly.
“The first contact was with my agent and they talked and discussed all the things they normally do.
“Then afterwards my agent talked to me and I said, ‘Go on, I really want to hear what they have got to say’.
“The day after he was [in London] to look and see everything and talk with the big men, then the day after, they went to Amsterdam to negotiate with Ajax. The next day, Monday, I was here for a medical. It went really quick. Just four days. It just felt right. When I talked to my agent, it just felt right. The things they said. When it got to looking around it just felt even more right and it was pretty easy for me to say yes.”

Eriksen has also revealed he signed after chairman Daniel Levy wrapped up negotiations within days. He explained that Liverpool never followed up their initial interest in him and insisted it was “the big men” - Levy and Technical Director Franco Baldini - who showed that Spurs meant business.

Eriksen said:

“I talked a little bit with the manager but I had more to do with the chairman and the director Baldini. They were they guys who really had the right words.
“It really impressed me that they wanted it so badly and wanted to do it so quickly.
“The first contact was with my agent and they talked and discussed all the things they normally do.
“Then afterwards my agent talked to me and I said, ‘Go on, I really want to hear what they have got to say’.
“The day after he was [in London] to look and see everything and talk with the big men, then the day after, they went to Amsterdam to negotiate with Ajax. The next day, Monday, I was here for a medical. It went really quick. Just four days. It just felt right. When I talked to my agent, it just felt right. The things they said. When it got to looking around it just felt even more right and it was pretty easy for me to say yes.”
Not sure that really means anything as AVB doesn't actively take part in negotiations.

Baldini knew him from Roma, sure this can go down as his purchase if we want to label it.

The fact that Levy wanted to go out to Amsterdam for a day having hired Baldini to do all his this sort of stuff is a whole different matter.
:ledleylick:

Not sure that really means anything as AVB doesn't actively take part in negotiations.

:avbmad:
Yeah maybe you're right about Eriksen, but...
I don't know. Yes, Baldini has come in to allow AVB to focus on the team instead of transfers too. But, I wouldn't doubt that if there is someone he really wants (maybe like Lamela) that he would want to actively be part in bringing in a player. For many players, a coach is just as important as a club and its status ... which is why I think regardless having a DOF, there still may be a situation here or there where the coach will be heavily part of a transfer.
:avblol:

Was always a fan of ;
"Erik,Erik Lamela runs down the wing for me da da da da da da da"
To the heartbeat tune. Not original but it does work. Liverpool used it for Maxi Rodriguez a few years ago.

He needs to be handled very, very gently since he doesn't have that sheer brashness that some other thicker-skinned youngsters like Townsend and Rose have, but I love how delicate his touches and flicks are (reminds me of Draxler, who I describe as a ballerina of a player), and his elegant, upright running style. I'm not sure how that being that straight-backed helps except perhaps in vision - it's noticeable that he's constantly looking around and adjusting his position off the ball, and he plays with his head up - but it's pretty to watch. (Also lets him give defenders the eyes ... you know, *those* eyes. Attractive kid but that's some serious serial-killer stuff going on there;))

He struggled a bit in the second half against Villa to influence the game because they were tackling/swarming him every time he got the ball. You get a lot less time on the ball in the PL so a little more upper body strength wouldn't go amiss, but I think it'd be better if he focused on his core strength and balance like Defoe does over the summer (or for a more ambitious comparison, Ronaldo, who was a rather whippet-like teenager too) so it doesn't tamper with his pace or anything. Modric, Holtby, Sandro...they've all needed time to get used to the speed of this league but they've adapted mainly through their brains - thinking quicker, moving the ball quicker, greater familiarity with their teammates.

Btw, no surprise he's shown glimpses of beautiful chemistry with Holtby already. Totti is incredible, the man is older than Jesus and still makes 5.8 key passes per game in Serie A. :bow: Lamela fed off his through balls with lethal pleasure and he will with Holtby and Eriksen too! :holtbytongue:

Back
Top Bottom