2 former players you would bring back to today’s squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes he worked harder than people think he could tackle and get stuck in and his natural ability would raise his level , in a boring world of safe sideways passing and not taking anyone on Glen would be a breath of fresh air

Hoddle was the best player I have seen in a Spurs shirt. Totally unique and would bring out the best in everyone- even today’s shower

I thought Perryman, Knowles, Gilzean and Jennings (all from the Spurs team I first watched) were good nostalgic shouts, but I'd go with Greaves & Gazza, both of whom could be argued as the best players in the world of their time, with Mackay, Hoddle, King, Modric & Bale next in line.
All of them would walk into any side, let alone ours right now.
Mr P was not a nostalgic shout. If I understand the question correctly, it was to fill a need in our current squad. Not that I'm a tactician, but I thought our biggest problem was a defensive midfielder. Stevie was great in that position and he was an exemplary captain. And as already pointed out, he could fill in as full back. Yes, I'm biased, but that doesn't make it any less valid. The reason I didn't pick Greaves is that Harry is the least of our problems.

I like this question that the OP has come up with. Has filled some brain time in the lockdown. Based on the last decade, I reckon there’s only two players in our current squad that I’d want to keep in. Below is my decade XI - assuming all at their prime obvs. The King and Dawson partnership at its peak was a thing of beauty and, combined, had more heart than a Spanish butcher

Lloris
Walker
King
Dawson
Assou-Ekotto
Parker
Dembele
Modric
Lennon
Bale
Kane

In summary, our squad right now looks like possibly the poorest, weakest and least entertaining since well before Harry, and probably well before Jol.

Sorry, but as much as I love Lennon, and we is one of my fave Spurs players.. there is absolutely no way he gets in ahead of Son. Also.. left back is also questionable.. Rose when at his best would get in IMO.

Last edited:

Gatsby

95:02
If could bring any 2 players, from any era, to add to today’s squad who would it be?

Mine would be Modric and Hoddle. 2 players with great footballing brains and able to win a game on their own.

Considered Greaves, Bale, Berbatov, Keane and a fully fit King.

Yes he worked harder than people think he could tackle and get stuck in and his natural ability would raise his level , in a boring world of safe sideways passing and not taking anyone on Glen would be a breath of fresh air

I like this question that the OP has come up with. Has filled some brain time in the lockdown. Based on the last decade, I reckon there’s only two players in our current squad that I’d want to keep in. Below is my decade XI - assuming all at their prime obvs. The King and Dawson partnership at its peak was a thing of beauty and, combined, had more heart than a Spanish butcher

Lloris
Walker
King
Dawson
Assou-Ekotto
Parker
Dembele
Modric
Lennon
Bale
Kane

In summary, our squad right now looks like possibly the poorest, weakest and least entertaining since well before Harry, and probably well before Jol.
Love Dawson but the idea he was better than Alderweireld is barmy.
Woodgate was better than Daws.
King/Woodgate or Vertonghen/Alderweireld is a tough call.

Toby and Jan had some decent periods, probably more consistent than Dawson, but have always been prone to errors, brain farts, being outpaced and crap games. Same as most players. Dawson and King in their prime - and yes, on their day - were quality. And their mentality and commitment were better too.
“In their prime on their day” I would take King/Woodgate over Ferdinand/Terry ... or just about any pair ever.
Daws ... Massive heart but sorry, not on that level.

Back
Top Bottom