2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA 14th June - 15th July

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is shaping up to be an excellent World Cup. No clear favourite - in fact I’d say there’s 10 teams in with a shout. Including Portugal and Argentina as average as they are, their superstars can do special things.

I think for England, yes we want Sterling/Rashford to start firing and the back 3 not to wobble but I actually think the key is Henderson. Up against the likes of Modric and Coutinho he needs to have the game(s) of his life.

This is shaping up to be an excellent World Cup. No clear favourite - in fact I’d say there’s 10 teams in with a shout. Including Portugal and Argentina as average as they are, their superstars can do special things.

I think for England, yes we want Sterling/Rashford to start firing and the back 3 not to wobble but I actually think the key is Henderson. Up against the likes of Modric and Coutinho he needs to have the game(s) of his life.
Great world cup so far and, I agree, the prognosis is epic.

Henderson though... I think he's quite pish.

Great world cup so far and, I agree, the prognosis is epic.

Henderson though... I think he's quite pish.
He’s not that bad, but that’s sort of my point. I fully expect Harry to score every game, and for Dele and Lingard to be dangerous etc but Henderson needs to play out of his skin to secure the midfield and protect the back 3. Considering the attacking midfield talent at this World Cup, it’s where we’ll win or lose oi reckon

As much as I hate to admit it, Henderson has had a really good tournament so far. He's been all over the pitch, passed it well (and forward!) and seems to suit the system that Southgate currently has.

Of course, we could always bring in Dier to partner him against some of the more attacking teams (Which allows Dier to also drop back into defence for solidarity) and rely on some individual magic from Kane to see us through.

As much as I hate to admit it, Henderson has had a really good tournament so far. He's been all over the pitch, passed it well (and forward!) and seems to suit the system that Southgate currently has.

Of course, we could always bring in Dier to partner him against some of the more attacking teams (Which allows Dier to also drop back into defence for solidarity) and rely on some individual magic from Kane to see us through.
Maybe, but we look really boring with Henderson and Dier together. Harry gets isolated. Loftus-Cheek is probably the answer.....in about 4 years

He’s played two games, and against Panama he was terrible.

No decent alternatives though.

Team of the tournament so far, according to The Guardian.

687.jpg

World Cup 2018: best team of the tournament so far

He was perfectly fine.

Our back three is a worse concern.

He was sloppy.

I left my prejudice behind when watching our opening game, and thought Henderson played well. Went into the Panama game with the same attitude and by the end I couldn’t believe that guy gets minutes for Liverpool.

I wouldn’t trust him to pass the salt.

He was sloppy.

I left my prejudice behind when watching our opening game, and thought Henderson played well. Went into the Panama game with the same attitude and by the end I couldn’t believe that guy gets minutes for Liverpool.

I wouldn’t trust him to pass the salt.

I mean. Define sloppy?

He wasn't dispossessed once. Completed 90% of his passes. He won all of his ariel duels. He won more tackles than anyone else..

It was only Panama, you're right.. But that's very very harsh criticism based on nothing more than him playing for Liverpool.

I mean. Define sloppy?

He wasn't dispossessed once. Completed 90% of his passes. He won all of his ariel duels. He won more tackles than anyone else..

It was only Panama, you're right.. But that's very very harsh criticism based on nothing more than him playing for Liverpool.

It’s got nothing to do with him playing for Liverpool.

Don’t fall into the trap of thinking stats are God. How many passes were negative? How many of them were wasted opportunities to be more incisive? How many tackles were necessary because of poor positioning?

He was far more proactive against Tunisia. Against Panama he killed momentum on several occasions by making empty sideways or backwards passes rather than attempt stuff requiring ability.

Dier was very poor too in yesterday’s game. The club he plays for doesn’t influence my opinion of his performance, and it’s the same with Henderson. If he plays well and scores an important goal against Colombia I’ll be happy to sing his praises.

Back
Top Bottom