2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA 14th June - 15th July

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just thought... with Holland & Italy not even there, and now Spain, Germany AND Argentina out... has there EVER been a World Cup Quarter Finals without ANY of those so-called 'Big Boys' in them before??

You were doing so well, and I understood what you were getting at until this. There are many ways to skin a cat etc.

But you got football all the way fucked up if you think tribalism isn't a key and major part of the game. You can be above that, cool. But it's you that is the anomaly in this case and you must understand that getting one over your opponents and bragging about it is what provides some of the most satisfactory moments.

But I agree to an extent, I fell in love with the game first and foremost.

Example being, Dennis Bergkamp is such a beauty to watch and a great example of The Beautiful Game.

That said, he's Gooner scum.
Sure it's part of the game. I never said that I don't understand it. I wouldn't call myself a Spurs fan if I didn't get tribalism. I get plenty of satisfaction from beating rivals too. But like I said, it's transient. Those feelings and their importance will come and go, ebb and flow, based on the times and circumstances. If your biggest rivals get relegated from your league and you rarely ever play them, what do you do then? Just stop enjoying the game? Or go pick a fight with another club just so you can feel something again? Those are options for some, but the way I see it, you need to be able to appreciate football on a level that is removed from the competition, the rivalry and the narratives.
There is an unending allure to the pursuit of higher aesthetic quality and technical mastery that is at the heart of why I like football. I can accept my club having to do what it takes in some cases when the odd are against us and competition is so fierce that you just have to survive in the moment, but that's just a means to an end, I can only ever be so satisfied with that. The ultimate goal and dream will always be to win with style and flair, to always keep moving forward and innovating, and most importantly bringing up the next generation of home grown talent who will continue in that same vein. If I don't have that to keep me going, then the rinse and repeat nature of the competition gets tedious very quickly.

I basically wanted to make a gif of William Wallace screaming Sweden instead of freedom
If you're just making a gif then it's really easy. Download the original gif, upload it to one of those free gif editing sites, and just slap the text "Sweden" on the appropriate frames. If you're making a video (so with sound), then just download the original clip, open it in movie maker/imovie/etc., and add a mp3 file of someone shouting "Sweden!" to it.

If you're just making a gif then it's really easy. Download the original gif, upload it to one of those free gif editing sites, and just slap the text "Sweden" on the appropriate frames. If you're making a video (so with sound), then just download the original clip, open it in movie maker/imovie/etc., and add a mp3 file of someone shouting "Sweden!" to it.

Fancy doing it for me ? You can have 27% of the credit!

I have no doubts Kane is a much nicer guy than Rooney and could end up being the better player as well, but I think management plays a role too and the environment in the camp. I remember that World Cup and it appeared to be a toxic environment - Capello control-freakery in the camp and big egos like "JT" rebelling at every opportunity. The team in charge need to be congratulated for de-toxifying England. However I do agree that individual responsibility plays a key role - Kane seems to know what it means to be an England captain and how one should conduct oneself. In fact all the players have done us proud in that respect so far.
Couldn't agree more, as I said in aprevious post Southgate doesn't want any cunts in the squad.
No wheelchair and he ended Rooney's int. career

Back
Top Bottom