A dose of reality

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Didn’t even read it , as don’t need too. My only contribution is

Dance Flowers GIF by A24
Weirdest film I have ever seen.

I'm still confused about it 6 months on.

- Joe Lewis could easily loan us some cash to cover until the stadium is working properly, he could also fire Levy. He does neither which to me suggests he doesn’t give a shit other than having us as an asset on his balance sheet.

- sell players. You can always sell players unless they have stupid wages (see Bale at Madrid), it’s the price you sell them for, we want more than the market will most likely pay so they just stay here and the squad goes stale.

- where is the stadium sponsor, that would help?

- why hire Jose a spend a lot manager who plays crap football. Why go after Conte if we never had the budget and look like muppets when it falls apart

- why have the biggest ticket prices if we ain’t the best around and piss off fans even more?

All of these things are in our control not someone else Covid or no Covid.

How much money have we lost due to Stadium Closure, lack of Champs League, refund of TV revenue (COVID), Mourinho
  • 134m fy2020 (difference between 2019 profit). Given improvements in other areas (sponsorship & NFL), the GAP is likely as high as 180m for expected vs reality.
  • 150m fy2021 (estimated by Levy in Nov20 ). This is likely to be higher with the 2nd Covid lockdown, Mourinho failure and prolonged closure of the stadium.
In summary, we are probably close to 400m behind where we would have forecast in 2019.​

Why is the club obsessed with Top 4
Unfortunately, under the current FIFA/UEFA setup (which everyone so desperately didn't want to change) Champions league is a clubs 2nd main source of revenue (behind EPL tv income). There is no (financial) incentive to win domestic cup and domestic league.
  • 2019 for example
  • Champions league final - 108m
  • Champions league last 16 = 63m
  • Domestic competitions (inc a semi final) = 3.1m
Why can't Levy or Joe gift the club $$$
Financial fair play rules do not allow this. Squad improvements can be made only with club revenue. Yes, City did bend the rules - but that's an entirely different argument.

We could issue more share capital too them. Or they could make a loan - but that would have to be paid back.

Sell all this crap lazy players - get new ones!
Every club is in the same boat. There is very little money to be spent. We have to sell players before we can buy them. How much do you expect WInks, Sissoko, Lamela, Aurier to fetch in the current market? 50m tops I would expect....Now you have to find 4 improvements with a 50m budget.

Why didn't we get CONTE - He's a winner
Unless he is happy with a good portion of the existing squad, it ain't going to happen.

Is there any hope?????
  • Stadium reopening
  • Stadium naming rights
  • NFL revenues
  • Sessegnon, Skipp, Scarlett, Devine, Parrott growing into good players for the future
  • With low expectations, the race for top 4 in 2022 should be quite exciting to watch
Yeaaaaah nice try Donna Cullen - we see you.

College Accuse GIF

FFP does allow a cash injection. It needs to be a one off and just can be repeated eg year on year.
Roman lumped in 250M three years ago to fund their rebuild when they finished outside CL

DONT LET THESE BASTARDS OFF THE HOOK

It's pretty simple.

If ENIC aren't prepared to spend the money required to win anything then sell the club to somebody who will.

At the moment we are just the branding component of a property investment scheme.

Knowing Levy, if he ever did sell up he would take the money and leave behind the debt.

It's pretty simple.

If ENIC aren't prepared to spend the money required to win anything then sell the club to somebody who will.

At the moment we are just the branding component of a property investment scheme.

Knowing Levy, if he ever did sell up he would take the money and leave behind the debt.

debt is on the club not Levy but one would assume any buyer would factor in the debt when offering a purchase price. I don’t think we will sell because ENIC will want £4bn when we are barley worth £2bn and that is only because of our amazing stadium and the TV football money.

I've got a dose of reality for you. The stadium was a waste of money. If a quarter of that was spent rebuilding the squad when poch wanted to we wouldn't be in this mess. But true on the pitch success isn't top of these owners priorities.

Lack of champions league football = down to Levy and his fault for not refreshing the squad pre-pandemic when he had the chance to back Poch.

Mourinho = down to Levy and again, his fault ignoring calls from other board members to appoint Nagelsmann and instead making an ego based decision.

Stadium closure is of course due to the pandemic but the entire arguement you present falls apart when you consider that we went 18 months prior to the pandemic without spending money and we have always been tight fisted compared to other clubs, irrespective of the pandemic.

Basically your entire post is a bootlicking exercise and your blatant agenda is completely transparent to everyone here.

You can dress it up behind numbers all you want but ultimately these owners and this chairman are not ambitious where it matters, our chairman is a lying greedy pig and you my friend are as guilty as they are as far as I am concerned for hand waving their shit behaviour constantly.

You're either completely delusional or purposefully ignoring reality to try and twist the narrative so you can defend the indefensible (I expect it's the latter.)

Either that or your a massive troll trying to get a rise.

How much money have we lost due to Stadium Closure, lack of Champs League, refund of TV revenue (COVID), Mourinho
  • 134m fy2020 (difference between 2019 profit). Given improvements in other areas (sponsorship & NFL), the GAP is likely as high as 180m for expected vs reality.
  • 150m fy2021 (estimated by Levy in Nov20 ). This is likely to be higher with the 2nd Covid lockdown, Mourinho failure and prolonged closure of the stadium.
In summary, we are probably close to 400m behind where we would have forecast in 2019.​

Unfortunately, under the current FIFA/UEFA setup (which everyone so desperately didn't want to change) Champions league is a clubs 2nd main source of revenue (behind EPL tv income). There is no (financial) incentive to win domestic cup and domestic league.
  • 2019 for example
Financial fair play rules do not allow this. Squad improvements can be made only with club revenue. Yes, City did bend the rules - but that's an entirely different argument.

We could issue more share capital too them. Or they could make a loan - but that would have to be paid back.

Every club is in the same boat. There is very little money to be spent. We have to sell players before we can buy them. How much do you expect WInks, Sissoko, Lamela, Aurier to fetch in the current market? 50m tops I would expect....Now you have to find 4 improvements with a 50m budget.

Unless he is happy with a good portion of the existing squad, it ain't going to happen.

Is there any hope?????
  • Stadium reopening
  • Stadium naming rights
  • NFL revenues
  • Sessegnon, Skipp, Scarlett, Devine, Parrott growing into good players for the future
  • With low expectations, the race for top 4 in 2022 should be quite exciting to watch
A dose of BOOTLICK!

Let’s just say for argument sake money is tight and has been for a while. Why then do we not follow the model of clubs like Dortmund.

- get a DoF like Rangnick who works with young players
- develop youth and buy youth
- get a manager who complements Rangnick
- sell players for good money to allow space for new young players to come through

This is the cheapest obtainable method of success. Why then did Levy when given the choice of Jose and Nagelsmann after Poch got sacked go for Jose, a past it manager who needs a giant cheque book rather than a manager who is proven to work with young players.

You can argue that we have limited funds but if that is the case that immediately makes Levy’s job untenable as he followed a model that requires a large cheque book making him basically an idiot, at least in terms of understanding how football (not football finances) work. His cry of poverty and his strategy don’t match at least from a logic point of view.

Levy’s current strategy is to go into Harrods with an Aldi budget and hope to charm the cashier into accepting a 10th of the price.

• 2019 for example

Is there any hope?????
  • Stadium reopening
  • Stadium naming rights
  • NFL revenues
I think this is a very good post, and I read it as a way to create some context in our current situation, not an apology for ENIC (they don't deserve that: they made enough mistakes). I honestly don't know how much the figures you mention are accurate, but only a person in denial can think that what happened in the last two years is not affecting us.

In addition to that, of course, there is all the incompetency that we have seen from Levy, Hitchen etc in dealing with our football issues, and there is no excuses with that. But I also think that the damage has been done a three-four years ago, and now because if the current situation it will take much longer to sort this mess out.

I think that the only way out this is to go for a clever set up (mentioned by other people, like Tomo Tomo ) and go for a BVB model

- Joe Lewis could easily loan us some cash to cover until the stadium is working properly, he could also fire Levy. He does neither which to me suggests he doesn’t give a shit other than having us as an asset on his balance sheet.

- sell players. You can always sell players unless they have stupid wages (see Bale at Madrid), it’s the price you sell them for, we want more than the market will most likely pay so they just stay here and the squad goes stale.

- where is the stadium sponsor, that would help?

- why hire Jose a spend a lot manager who plays crap football. Why go after Conte if we never had the budget and look like muppets when it falls apart

- why have the biggest ticket prices if we ain’t the best around and piss off fans even more?

All of these things are in our control not someone else Covid or no Covid.
He doesn’t give a shit and probably doesn’t like football

Let’s just say for argument sake money is tight and has been for a while. Why then do we not follow the model of clubs like Dortmund.

- get a DoF like Rangnick who works with young players
- develop youth and buy youth
- get a manager who complements Rangnick
- sell players for good money to allow space for new young players to come through

This is the cheapest obtainable method of success. Why then did Levy when given the choice of Jose and Nagelsmann after Poch got sacked go for Jose, a past it manager who needs a giant cheque book rather than a manager who is proven to work with young players.

You can argue that we have limited funds but if that is the case that immediately makes Levy’s job untenable as he followed a model that requires a large cheque book making him basically an idiot, at least in terms of understanding how football (not football finances) work. His cry of poverty and his strategy don’t match at least from a logic point of view.

Levy’s current strategy is to go into Harrods with an Aldi budget and hope to charm the cashier into accepting a 10th of the price.
I have no idea why Levy stopped this method we used to be quite good at it, the last player we developed and sold on was Walker 4 years ago.

The hard truth is, ENIC are an investment company, they arent a bank roller and to be fair to Levy he has always been up front about that, their goal was to make us a self sustainable club. I have no problem with that.

My problem is as an investment company the only real way we are going to be a footballing success is though investment, and actually wining things. I think ENIC have only invested £40m of their own money in the 20 years or so they have been here. ENIC could have chosen to invest their own money for a quicker return at various times but quite simply Levy doesn't gamble. I'm at the stage now where I want them gone, yes I am thankful for a lot of his tenure but he is going backwards over the last few years and the ESL BS just pushed me to far. Sell up and move on.

I have no idea why Levy stopped this method we used to be quite good at it, the last player we developed and sold on was Walker 4 years ago.

The hard truth is, ENIC are an investment company, they arent a bank roller and to be fair to Levy he has always been up front about that, their goal was to make us a self sustainable club. I have no problem with that.

My problem is as an investment company the only real way we are going to be a footballing success is though investment, and actually wining things. I think ENIC have only invested £40m of their own money in the 20 years or so they have been here. ENIC could have chosen to invest their own money for a quicker return at various times but quite simply Levy doesn't gamble. I'm at the stage now where I want them gone, yes I am thankful for a lot of his tenure but he is going backwards over the last few years and the ESL BS just pushed me to far. Sell up and move on.

It’s the total lack of thought that puzzles me most. Why Jose, why Conte, you need a net spend of about £200m a year to keep them happy. It’s as though he has no idea about actual football, why give a project to men who ain’t project managers.

There is no logic behind it, we can say they are being tight but then you must be clever, we ain’t we switch on managers and players, we don’t sell deadwood, we look nothing more than a bunch of opportunists without any coherent long term plan.

Poch’s use of players, selling the likes of Ade and Kaboul made us look professional for about 3 seasons then the wheels came off. Levy is a wonderful tactician but a terrible strategist.

It’s the total lack of thought that puzzles me most. Why Jose, why Conte, you need a net spend of about £200m a year to keep them happy. It’s as though he has no idea about actual football, why give a project to men who ain’t project managers.

There is no logic behind it, we can say they are being tight but then you must be clever, we ain’t we switch on managers and players, we don’t sell deadwood, we look nothing more than a bunch of opportunists without any coherent long term plan.

Poch’s use of players, selling the likes of Ade and Kaboul made us look professional for about 3 seasons then the wheels came off. Levy is a wonderful tactician but a terrible strategist.
Agreed, If after we sacked Jose, Levy came out and said he was reviewing the set up and a new real DoF and suitable coach would be appointed shortly and then Paratici and Fonseca announced it would probably have been accepted a lot better than the shit show we have now. Why even approach Conte with the situation we are in, no logic.

• 2019 for example

Is there any hope?????
  • Stadium reopening
  • Stadium naming rights
  • NFL revenues
Just some thoughts and questions, some of which may not be possible for us lay persons to get.

Loss of match day income.

What compensation was football afforded for this via Gov ?

To open has an operating cost. Staff / police etc. How much does not paying these then reduce the loss from the closures ?

Did the club lose the booking fees for the concerts and NFL ? If yes, why, if not then why are we not comfortable.

Why would anyone (football included) close their business off the back of Government guidance, without compensation ? If the loss is as catastrophic as said. Why is Levy not in court asking for compensation. Why did he “gift” the stadium to the NHS for months if it was to destroy his business model for a generation? That makes no sense. Besides what about the loan from BoE of £150m was that actually spent ? And then weirdly converted to another long term loan through an American bank ?

How much extra TV revenue did the club get for broadcasting every match on TV last season ? Those rights were not free.

Loss of European Income

2019 income could not have been sustained unless we had the same success in 2020. however In 2019 - 20 season we were still in the Champions League. For 20-21 we need to know the difference between Champions league and Europa league income. The loss is the difference between the two. Not the whole loss of the Champions League revenue. Again next season the loss is only the gap between CL and UCL. What if we win the UCL, does that then not reduce the gap ?

FFP

I did hear this has been “suspended due to covid. But if not. City got pinged £30m approx for spending a few hundred million. Their prize money more than compensates the token slap.

Stadium Naming Rights

At the end of the day if we became the Tavistock Stadium at 30 million a year for 10 years. Then pretty much game on & zero to worry about. It’s telling that this is not happening, no ?

Players

Why is it THFC find it so hard to churn their squad when compared to other clubs. Indeed our wages are supposed to be less than other clubs overall, so surely our squad offers value to the market. I think if we were to dig at the reality it will be connected to the balance sheet value of a player and that being the trigger for transfer.

Back
Top Bottom