A trip to the Seaside - Southampton Away, 19/12/15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Two questions out of curiosity how many games have we played your desired style of game? Which team plays the style you want most often? I am not trying to wind you up we played a crappy first half hour and both goals were shit defending.

Good questions ...answer for the first....not many to be honest. Probably about 6 or 7 times, where ive really enjoyed watching us play. Thats not say im not happy we are doing well in the league. Im delighted. But i prefer the entertainment of it. Finish 3rd 4th 6th or 8th, it makes no odds to me.

2nd...enjoy palace...the use width, and play fast on the counter. Its a million miles from us, where we pass too slowly around the back 4, too many passes back to lloris, no pace or width , with our creativity in the final 3rd.

But as i said, for the people who are just interested in getting the 3 points to get the holy 4th place, who gives a fuck right ? Its job done

Thats how good he is, goes about his business witout trials and tribulations?

I agree. when danny rose is on the pitch he just can't help drawing attention to himself, usually for all the wrong reasons. i don't care if you run around a lot, there's no point having the ball in forward positions if you don't know what to do with it.

Good questions ...answer for the first....not many to be honest. Probably about 6 or 7 times, where ive really enjoyed watching us play. Thats not say im not happy we are doing well in the league. Im delighted. But i prefer the entertainment of it. Finish 3rd 4th 6th or 8th, it makes no odds to me.

2nd...enjoy palace...the use width, and play fast on the counter. Its a million miles from us, where we pass too slowly around the back 4, too many passes back to lloris, no pace or width , with our creativity in the final 3rd.

But as i said, for the people who are just interested in getting the 3 points to get the holy 4th place, who gives a fuck right ? Its job done

Palace are afforded the luxury of being able to play on the counter due to their status in the league, if we sat back and tried to counter most of our games would finish 0-0 like United do.

I missed the game so just had a look at the passing stats....
Today we recorded our lowest number of forward passes this season.
Our forward pass completion rate (61%) was also the lowest for the season (which is more worrying).
Our number of passes in the attacking third was the second lowest for the season.
Looking at the overall pass pattern it seems that a lot of long balls went astray.
Maybe our pressing and/or ball recovery rate made up for the poor passing.

See this to me is where stats can be totally misleading.
I'm normally edgy even when we're 2 up, but I felt really comfortable watching the 2nd half as we just bossed it, the defence was playing well and looking solid, I just couldn't see Soton scoring.

Palace are afforded the luxury of being able to play on the counter due to their status in the league, if we sat back and tried to counter most of our games would finish 0-0 like United do.
true. but we regularly take the lead. meaning the other team will have to attack us more.
which means there is the chance to counter attack.

unless of course we take the lead & they still park the bus. which would play in to our hands.

it would vary our attack if we had the option of width & fast wingers.

Apart from the goals, we managed to get in behind them with nice one-two play around the edge of the box a couple of times. That is what we have to get better at if we are going to unlock teams like Newcastle last week. The more the current group play together the more natural the understanding will become about who runs where and when.

I agree that Walker's pace generally makes up for his lack of positional awareness, but what most people fail to to acknowledge is that there are much better left sided offensive players in the league than right. Walker therefore usually gets the tougher match up's.

Possibly, but I think opposition teams target that side as a weakness.

I missed the game so just had a look at the passing stats....
Today we recorded our lowest number of forward passes this season.
Our forward pass completion rate (61%) was also the lowest for the season (which is more worrying).
Our number of passes in the attacking third was the second lowest for the season.
Looking at the overall pass pattern it seems that a lot of long balls went astray.
Maybe our pressing and/or ball recovery rate made up for the poor passing.
It was just that sort of game, they had us on the back foot for most of the first half but then we managed to score two goals on the break. In the second half we just soaked up whatever they could muster and closed the game out.

Not sure that I agree w/ the running around like a chicken with his head cut off. Walker's positioning is never ideal, but he usually is able to make up for it via his tremendous pace. Either way, a clean sheet today at Southampton which he obviously played a contributing role.
He didn't have much support from the wing either

For the people that are just interested in getting to this holy grail of 4th and just getting three points, it was job done.

For the football lovers like me who just want to see our team play nice quick attacking football,........ we were fucking awful to watch, again.

Well done to kane, great goal...well done ali again.
Relax, for the majority of the season we've played exciting football

In

i really don't get the point of that post. We get 3 points and there's a dissection of the negative aspects?
Hi GG
From what you & others have said it looks like we performed a 'smash & grab' raid and I totally agree three points is three points.
From a passing aspect it was out of character with our previous performances and I put the stats up just as a warning flag.
I don't believe the long ball and soaking up pressure for long periods is the way Poch would want us to play.
Hopefully we will get back on track over Xmas.

Reading all the posts and agreeing with most. One point not raised was how awful Southampton were (are they that bad?). We made the most of it and got the result. Hopefully they will improve when they play others as CP , Spam and the scum next on boxing day.

Hi GG
From what you & others have said it looks like we performed a 'smash & grab' raid and I totally agree three points is three points.
From a passing aspect it was out of character with our previous performances and I put the stats up just as a warning flag.
I don't believe the long ball and soaking up pressure for long periods is the way Poch would want us to play.
Hopefully we will get back on track over Xmas.
People are overstating H. It was not a smash and grab. It was a deserved win. Saints were flying for the first 20 - 25 minutes. But we were completely in control for the rest of the match.

Haven't seen much (any) of Southampton prior to yesterday, but if that was an indication of their level of fight, I expect them to be on the fringes of the relegation fight at the end of the year.

The two centre halfs were quality in the first half yesterday , them and Hugo kept as in the game when we were playing shit but we got two quick goals against the run of play then it was game over, how good was Dembele in the second half though , he ran the game quality performance from him ,

Only negative from today was the atmosphere up untill about the 70th minute , thought we were quite quiet for a away day

The Dane -

??

17 PL matches, 5 exciting performances imo:

Everton (despite 0-0, high tempo, lots of chances created);
Citeh;
B'mouth;
Goons;
Wet Spam.

7 dull ones.

10 matches, we've scored 0 or 1.
Every season we get this...we've won so many games but we only played well in x amount of them. In my opinion, every team can say the same including the scum, and I guarantee if you look on their forums there will be fans saying the exact same thing. Fact is that lots of football games are scrappy and most wins are going to be ground out rather than won with great football. The sign of a successful team is being able to win when not playing well...or else we could go back to Ossie Ardiles and play 5 up front and finish 17th? We try and play the ball on the floor, OK it's not all out attack but we're hardly Pulis-era Stoke City.

The two centre halfs were quality in the first half yesterday , them and Hugo kept as in the game when we were playing shit but we got two quick goals against the run of play then it was game over, how good was Dembele in the second half though , he ran the game quality performance from him ,

Only negative from today was the atmosphere up untill about the 70th minute , thought we were quite quiet for a away day
Definitely quiet considering the result, some people sitting down as well. Maybe with it being a game with relatively high LPs, some of the younger, noisier lot could not get tickets.

Back
Top Bottom