Amazingly yes, it can be worse

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm going to say the below and that is it.

I am very disappointed with the way our season has fizzled out - it's like the players have lost all heart and bottle since the league cup final/europa exit.

No pressing, no accuracy in passing, no movement. Not sure where it's gone, but I'm pretty sure we're not going to get it back this season, if I'm honest.

I still think Poch needs time, and I still believe he's a good manager, and I put a lot of the blame on some of the players...but dear lord I hope we have a fucking good transfer window, and that Poch is able/allowed to get in the players he wants.

Then he'll have no excuses for next season (not saying we should expect top four as that is getting more and more difficult, but more consistently good performances for a start would be nice!)

That's it - feel free to disagree or agree :) But I'll not be melting.

Spot on post, but see ... that's the problem.

How many times have we been in this situation now.
Different season, but pretty much same shit. We just have too many mediocre players.

Once people start to fault ENIC/Levy,others are still gonna say ... look what they have done ... and look, we are building a stadium ... etc etc. But the fact is that every year, teams are earning more and more money, yet Tottenham still is spending like it's in debt. Not even that .... but instead of the manager's choice, we almost always get an alternative. And instead of 1 or 2 in quality, we on the other hand go for quantity. And to make matters worse, the consequences of all that might mean losing our best players (albeit it not completely being in our control). Guess what? It's gonna be more or less the same again this Summer.

I think we're due a change on a more fundamental level.
I would hope that we do see a change this summer mate.
Levy for all his faults isn't stupid and I'm no blind Levy fan.
I would hope that he's significantly impressed by Poch and the support team with all the things they do that we aren't privy to. Hope he see's Poch (who's got us 7th with effectively 1 striker, really young squad and 51 games played) as a long term prospect worth investing in.

Levy isn't a short term man - there's plenty of evidence to support this. There was no way, having been burnt by many previous mangers he was gonna do anything drastic this season with Poch.
By all accounts he still wants us in the top 4. So I hope we do see some changes this summer

Then why does Levy keep sacking managers who don't achieve CL? Lack of perspective?
Was just gonna post something similar.

I'll admit, I'm probably one of those a tad spoiled fans because truthfully I only recently became one ... precisely, in 09-10 (right before our CL season). But what can I do if this influenced mentality for success is being run down from and throughout the higher tiers of the club, and to the fans?

sammyspurs sammyspurs having read some of the thread I would say I agree with you that Poch has got it wrong recently in regard to player selection, subs and no-one should call a person a gooner for pointing this out.

He is a young manager working with a bunch of players that really are not his own and probably not suited to his style but he is not above criticism and nor are the players.

That being said I wouldnt take it too personally, I know you believe in your views and there is nothing wrong in that but you do sometimes post as if the world is against you, it's not, you make a lot of good points but it's not a competition we can all be right and all be wrong.

I actually agree with you that under Redknapp we played the best football in the last 20 years here and Levy should not have sacked him. But he's gone and the last thing we need from Levy is another Levy meltdown, a sacking and back to square one.

If we have learned anything it's that Levy needs to back his manager when things are going badly and so should we. Most of the issues we are facing IMO still come down to Levy's poor decision making in the past and Poch has to be given room to make mistakes and learn, the season is over so I'd be quite happy for Poch to experiment all he wants.

Despite thinking, that youth is as much a part of the problem as any sollution, I do think the last handful of games should be strictly for playing the likes of Winks, Onomah and Co and for experimenting a bit with formations.

Throw in a couple of expensive bench players and tell them they are playing in the shop window.

The "Profit Margin Trophy" is still ours for the taking though. Cheer up everyone
images
:levylol:

I'm going to say the below and that is it.

I am very disappointed with the way our season has fizzled out - it's like the players have lost all heart and bottle since the league cup final/europa exit.

No pressing, no accuracy in passing, no movement. Not sure where it's gone, but I'm pretty sure we're not going to get it back this season, if I'm honest.

I still think Poch needs time, and I still believe he's a good manager, and I put a lot of the blame on some of the players...but dear lord I hope we have a fucking good transfer window, and that Poch is able/allowed to get in the players he wants.

Then he'll have no excuses for next season (not saying we should expect top four as that is getting more and more difficult, but more consistently good performances for a start would be nice!)

That's it - feel free to disagree or agree :) But I'll not be melting.

I don't think I have ever seen passive-aggressive player power like I have under the last 3 managers. Actually 4, but most people are too revisionist to recall the last half season under Redknapp. Players literally stopped trying.

Despite us have no real captains and few players worthy of a "star" tag, we have one hell of a lot of player power.

But that will never change, as long as the owners back the squad over the responsible manager/head coach.

Then why does Levy keep sacking managers who don't achieve CL? Lack of perspective? :levywtf:

We had it good under harry and it set a standard that AVB, Tim and now Poch have not or have yet to live up too. I wondering if Levy certainly under AVB felt we had a right to the CL.

Levy melts more than the fans to be fair and Levy does have some good qualities but patience does not seem to be one.

Was just gonna post something similar.

I'll admit, I'm probably one of those a tad spoiled fans because truthfully I only recently became one ... precisely, in 09-10 (right before our CL season). But what can I do if this influenced mentality for success is being run down from and throughout the higher tiers of the club and to the fans?
I liked your point about quality over quantity - it's obvious that Levy is being careful because of the stadium, and that fans are frustrated with our lack of net spend when the whole league is swimming in money, but I agree - available funds should be spent on a couple of players of proven (ha ha) quality, rather than 7 average ones and hoping for the best.

Despite thinking, that youth is as much a part of the problem as any sollution, I do think the last handful of games should be strictly for playing the likes of Winks, Onomah and Co and for experimenting a bit with formations.

Throw in a couple of expensive bench players and tell them they are playing in the shop window.

Seasons over so yeh definitely, can't play any worse than Chadli right now.

Well this turned out well..
Almost glad I missed it..

I stopped reading the report on here, had to rely on BBC..

I just knew there would be people getting off on how they told us that;
Spurs are Shit,
Poch is Shit,
The Players are Shit,
The fans are Shit,
The Ground is Shit,
Chirpy is Shit,
The High Road is Shit,
Shit is Shit.

We all know we are not playing well at the moment.. We can see that for ourselves..We don't need a ner ner ner ner ner I told you so, every two minutes.

Last edited:
The problem is that fans how no perspective anymore. They've tasted Champion's League and now think that anything less is a disgrace, to say nothing of the assumption that we have some sort of God given right to win a cup every year.
None of us think it a disgrace if we don`t make the champions league. Some of us do think it a disgrace that Levy and ENIC make no concerted effort to make the champions league. Big difference.

Seasons over so yeh definitely, can't play any worse than Chadli right now.
Personally, I feel that playing bad is ok. Being overmatched is ok. Losing is ok.

However it's nok ok watching players literally not trying nor clearly not following the managers instructions. That's fucking scandalous.

Biggest mystry to me is why does Dembele not even make the bench, let alone the team and I'm not talking about playing him as one of the DM but as the number 10, the ball is not sticking up top, when it goes forward it come straight back when Townsend, Chadli and Eriksen lose possession almost at will. I saw a slight improvement in this when Soldado came on and no he ain't the answer but he at least was able to link up with players around him, something that Townsend and Eriksen didn't do at all and Chadli rarely.

I am one of those rare people that like what Lamela brings to the team, I like his aggression he looks to make tackles, he doesn't lose possession as much as Chadli or Townsend. He does find and make a through ball and he draws players towards him thus creating space on the pitch. He is not the finished article but he brings more to the team than Townsend......as he did in the 20 mins he was on the pitch today.

Both Mason and Bentaleb are still looking for that forward pass and if that pass is to Dembele then it is likely to remain higher up the pitch and allow one of Mason and Bentaleb to also make late runs past him. If I were one of Mason or Bentaleb why would you bust a nut making a 30yrd run only for the move to brake down and then to sprint back 30yrds to cover AGAIN!.

Thought Fazio had a great game today. I haven't seen any replay of Benteke's goal, so I might be wrong, but thought that it was a perfect cross and a well timed jump and apportioning blame on Fazio may be harsh (yeah, I used to play CB so I'm in the union). Other than him I thought Rose was MOTM for us. Worthy of a mention too is Vorm, great save to keep us in the game, he distribution is quicker and more accurate that Lloris but WTF was that lift over the Villa's player at the end???

Don't think Kane should be our Captain, I'm old school and I want my Captain's to clap and shout and rally his team mates, Kane doesn't do either, only problem here is not sure we have someone who actually does that other than Bentaleb.

Anyway, what a shit performance from crowd and team today.........embarrassing and I have to say worrying as we are not playing well and not playing with any intensity to our game which is what I am expecting.

Last edited:
equally, people abuse u if u say anything negative about our performances/team/manager.
so it works both ways millbanks.
Yeah, sure - but calling people out as though they were the ones on the pitch not trying is pointless.

I'd love to see who predicted we'd take one point from Burnley and Villa.

Back
Top Bottom