Amazon fly-on-the-wall documentary about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watched episode 1. Shows the power of editing. Levy clearly instructed them to show him in the best possible light, Poch was edited unsympathetically, Mourinho - who knows how the media circus works - is in his element.
Poch clearly v unhappy to have to do the Amazon documentary after the champs league loss, like when he speaks in Spanish to his assistant and spins the ball, he clearly detests them being there. I wonder if Poch would still be with us if the Amazon doc hadn't been commissioned, it must be hard trying to recover from such a defeat with people shoving cameras in your face all day.
And one other thing that sticks out - the loss to Bayern at home isn't so bad given their demolition of Barcelona and Champs League, they clearly were on a different level to every one else.
Funny moment when Levy and Mourinho had their photo taken - Mourinho said it felt like they were getting married - let's hope this marriage lasts for this couple of serial divorcees!

You not think the a) the 29min Dier sub and b) making it a feature storyline speaks for itself? .....You think that's any less humiliating than us finding out retrospectively about JM saying to Serge that he fears him giving away dozy pens?

I just find this whole targeting of the perceived "weaker" elements and pandering to the perceived "stronger" or "most popular"elements a bit distasteful but also fucking outmoded and old school. His whole divisive thing just getting a bit tedious, even if it has some "results" upside.

As we all know - and saw in subsequent games - Dier is just as likely or even more likely to give a stupid VAR penalty away than Aurier.

We are frequently told that the message of most managers wears thin on the same old ears over time.... (Poch, Klopp at BVB eg)....

Yes, I get that and understand how the message of any manager can become stale. As much as Klopp's gurning dame Edna on an E match day antics can irritate the fuck out of us, I do think he comes across as a far more genuine and likeable human being than Mourinho and has still managed to produce a phenomenally efficient winning football team - two in fact, and both in leagues where he wasn't managing the biggest/riches team - teams who also play progressive brands of football in a very competitive modern era.

I have said previously I can see how Mourinho's methods can get results, I don't think he's stupid, and we have already seen the early signs, post lockdown, of the Mourinho-fication of our team IMO, minor improvements in game management, simplification of remits to suit the type and level of players we have more, as opposed to the naivety of Poch counter-intuitively trying relentlessly to play chess with draughts -back to front possession football with midfielders that don't want the football, high lines with no high pressure, FB's up the pitch and wheel-less wardrobe CB's.

Just because it gets results doesn't always mean everything is justified. I don't like some of Mourinho's methodology and I don't particularly enjoy watching some of it.

Last edited:
Watched episode 1. Shows the power of editing. Levy clearly instructed them to show him in the best possible light, Poch was edited unsympathetically, Mourinho - who knows how the media circus works - is in his element.

Strange take as I thought what little we saw of Pochettino just made us feel sympathy for him. It could have done a real hatchet job on the way we were falling apart, how badly his team was performing, how certain players had clearly stopped buying into his methods, and some wouldn't sign contracts, it didn't - it left Poch's legacy pretty unfettered I thought.

Levy on the other hand just comes across to me as an incredibly uncharismatic person.

Last edited:
I just find this whole targeting of the perceived "weaker" elements and pandering to the perceived "stronger" or "most popular"elements a bit distasteful but also fucking outmoded and old school. His whole divisive thing just getting a bit tedious, even if it has some "results" upside.

As we all know - and saw in subsequent games - Dier is just as likely or even more likely to give a stupid VAR penalty away than Aurier.

Yes, I get that and understand how the message of any manager can become stale. As much as Klopp's gurning dame Edna on an E match day antics can irritate the fuck out of us, I do think he comes across as a far more genuine and likeable human being than Mourinho and has still managed to produce a phenomenally efficient winning football team - two in fact, and both in leagues where he wasn't managing the biggest/riches team - teams who also play progressive brands of football in a very competitive modern era.

I have said previously I can see how Mourinho's methods can get results, I don't think he's stupid, and we have already seen the early signs, post lockdown, of the Mourinho-fication of our team IMO, minor improvements in game management, simplification of remits to suit the type and level of players we have more, as opposed to the naivety of Poch counter-intuitively trying relentlessly to play chess with draughts -back to front possession football with midfielders that don't want the football, high lines with no high pressure, FB's up the pitch and wheel-less wardrobe CB's.

Just because it gets results doesn't always mean everything is justified. I don't like much of Mourinho's methodology and I don't particularly enjoy watching much of it.
A long post that doesn't mention Sissoko.

Watched 2 episodes and really enjoyed them. The Club comes across well. Mou comes across well. Was dreading it being a disaster, but now find myself beginning to look forward to the start of the new season with a bit of optimism.

From Graun review

So Daniel Levy, the club’s chairman, sacks Pochettino and replaces him with the self-styled “Special One”, José Mourinho. “My heart was telling me: ‘Don’t do it,’ and my brain was telling me: ‘You need to do it,’” says Levy.

Levy....has a heart??!?!?!??!?

:dembelelol: :pochcry::levylol::mourglasses:

Levy tucking into a pint made me laugh, it seemed the people in the room largely try to ignore him if they can as I imagine most encounters with him are pretty rough affairs, e.g. Where are me seats you promised me, yeah?!

I found it good but not amazing (2 episodes) but not with the depth of the Sunderland documentaries .
I couldn't bring myself to watch the City oil special of self entitled bought and cheated glory.
The pain of the Poch demise l felt was handled too briefly and brushed over somewhat.
I think it's rather sympathetic and maybe a little semi staged in parts , considering the implosion of the season. Personally I would have preferred it totally impartial but that was never going to be the case.

Last edited:
The thing is, the greatest Spinal Tap style football documentary, The Impossible Job / Do I not Like that, can never be beaten. There are too many media professionals and vested corporate interests to let it happen and even Mourinho knows entirely what he is doing infront of the cameras; Taylor's naivety and media innocence make it compelling viewing.
I just think the corporatization of football could be its downfall as it's just lost its soul and become boring without any humour.

Here in Brazil Amazon Prime didn´t release the documentary yesterday, so I´ll be watching it later this evening.

I´d just like to say that it has been really interesting to see the reactions here. Everybody loved it.

Even those who don´t like Jose loved it - though after saying what a good watch it is, they´ve came back with another 3 or 4 posts to say that in fact they didn´t like it so much. Which is very Tottenham.

100% Success.

Last edited:
What also becomes clear as this unfolds is just how much perspective alters about Mourinho very quickly - kind of as it did when he arrived here with his smooth motherfucker persona and had us eating out of his hand, but quickly had me detesting some of his narcissistic bollocks. His bullshit and blarney is slick and sophisticated by much of the standards we are used to in English football, but ultimately a lot of it is still bullshit and blarney, and you can absolutely see how this guy can't stay anywhere for long. Gradually it becomes less and less plausible, players start to cash out what they had previously bought into.

For all the smooth self confidence, there's a flaw in the integrity valve. I'm sure there are enough players in the dressing room that still buy it - the Sissoko's and Dier's and Winksey's and Toby's - footballer's aren't the most cerebral and often just need a "leader" to tell them everything will be good if they just do what he says, but his divisive methodology ("Dier shouldn't play but I need to keep him and the dressing room sweet") also has it's flaws that you can understand how it creates problems as well as solves them.

I found the public humiliating of Aurier, whilst contrasted against the mollycoddling Dier distasteful and typical - we see the same double standard with Ndombele and - insert Dier, Sissoko, Lo Celso etc here - of his divisive methodology.
I get where you are coming from but it's so heavily edited it's not worth dissecting what you are watching. It skipped huge chunks of absolute dross.

To be honest, I don't mind because there would have been enough material to batter us for a decade were it not so PR managed, it's a rewrite of what happened and how we played, again I'm not too fussed about that as I'd rather begin this new season with an air of positivity around the Club. Imagine the feeling that could be fostered reminding us now how we were outplayed by so many of the team we faced (even games we won), how fucking ugly we played.

I'm someone who likes the tunnel cams, so I like being given a window into parts of the club we haven't seen before and are not likely to see ever again, so from this perspective I can enjoy it.

But just as when Jose arrived it is all about him rather than Tottenham, which doesn't sit too well albeit it's not unexpected such as it reflects the situation we have.

Back
Top Bottom