Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
Again with your selective reading. I also pointed out that both Paulinho and Sigurdsson also had lower shot accuracy percentages, but I guess you don't care about that because it doesn't jive with your preconceived notions.

"You proved me wrong by posting Bentlebs stats. You are (I'm sorry to say) an idiot. Because you can't quantify if Bentaleb has a worse shot until he hits the 55 shots at goal mark."

You don't understand math, do you?

2/72 = ~2.8% goal/shot success
0/14 = 0% goal/shot success

It's fucking black and white and simple mathematics. Soldado and Ade don't have the same number of shots on goal, so does that mean that I can't compare them? Ridiculous. You're just grasping at straws.

"Right now he is on 12 shots at goal...I mean you using him to prove me wrong on who has the worst shot...It's fucking dumb."
If it's fucking dumb to use basic mathematics to disprove your notion that Townsend has a better shot accuracy % than three of our other midfielders, as well as, demonstrate that he is not our worst finisher in simple, black and white terms, I don't know what else will work except just once again state that you're a troll.

"He would have to take over 40 more shots, and miss all of them to be considered worse than Townsend."
Again, you fail to understand statistics and basic mathematics. 2.8% is greater than 0%. That's the advantage and really functional thing about percentages, they allow for us to quickly compare things when all demoninators aren't equal, which they rarely are.

Let me put this in simple, bite-sized sentences so you can understand them. You are at best, uninformed and quick to judgement. You are at worst, a liar and a proudly arrogant one at that. I have clearly and concisely demonstrated that you are wrong and you still deny it. You willfully manipulate your statements and my position to make yourself appear knowledgeable. Your denial to admit to errors and do these things only makes you look like a troll and a liar.

Read the bold part again. It stung you enough to rant and froth. Prem GOALS to shots ratio. How the fuck can you GET his GOALS to shot ratio..When he has not scored? And you double down on your bullshit? Einstein, you need Bentlaleb to SCORE to compare his goals to shot ratio to ANOTHER player. And until he takes the same amount of shots and does not score, you can't quantify anything.

I think the penny has dropped, hence your wall of text. I suppose the link proving he was the worst in the prem when it came to shots to goals ratio did make you feel like an idiot. You should have written the piece for them. The first 100 players who top the list would be defenders...Would be a great informative "scientific" read. The comments would be great.

tumblr_m5tt2jAJS11qazkdco1_500.gif

I was a firm believer in Bale in his early years. I was the first on SC to suggest he should be put on the wing. Speaking of Bale, even if Townsend turns into Bale...We STILL could not get higher than Woolwich with wing play. Its too gung ho/wide open unless you have one of the best midfields ever assembled like Utd did. If you have Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Keane and the best manager in the world you may be able to dominate.

We need to be realistic and look at what wingplay has done to our flanks this season (and all other prem seasons before it with Ginola etc). Torn apart, time after time after dominating possession.

Wing play can be a massive asset. There is no other way to really stretch teams and create openings/space to exploit.

However, it relies upon the midfield and defence being set up such that its weaknesses arent exploited. Seems foolish to me to just write off "Wing play". Get the right runners and defenders in midfield and wing play becomes a formidable weapon. Teams hate playing against it.

Wing play can be a massive asset. There is no other way to really stretch teams and create openings/space to exploit.

However, it relies upon the midfield and defence being set up such that its weaknesses arent exploited. Seems foolish to me to just write off "Wing play". Get the right runners and defenders in midfield and wing play becomes a formidable weapon. Teams hate playing against it.

That is easier said than done when our squad is not filled with the correct style of runners in midfield.

Esp when the wingers we have are poor compared to the top 4.

People need to consider who these wingers are playing in front of. For some reason were one of the only squads that insists on buying backs because they're pacy and can get involved in the attack. Forget the fact the backs can't defend and leave our wingers stretched.

Andros and Chadli would be my first choice wingers. If we had to get rid of one of our wingers - Lennon would be the one. Nothing personal- he's a depreciating asset.

People need to consider who these wingers are playing in front of. For some reason were one of the only squads that insists on buying backs because they're pacy and can get involved in the attack. Forget the fact the backs can't defend and leave our wingers stretched.

Andros and Chadli would be my first choice wingers. If we had to get rid of one of our wingers - Lennon would be the one. Nothing personal- he's a depreciating asset.

This is how bad the state of affairs is at Spurs when it comes to form etc of wingers: I think Walker and Rose would give Andros and Chadli a run for their money as wingers.

So why accept mediocrity? It needs to be stamped out, forgotten, dropped, sold, put a bow on it and play to our strengths (literally)

Read the bold part again. It stung you enough to rant and froth. Prem GOALS to shots ratio. How the fuck can you GET his GOALS to shot ratio..When he has not scored? And you double down on your bullshit? Einstein, you need Bentlaleb to SCORE to compare his goals to shot ratio to ANOTHER player. And until he takes the same amount of shots and does not score, you can't quantify anything.

Trust me, it takes a lot more than your retarded musings to make me rant. Don't give yourself that much credit.

Answer this simple question to end this once and for all. Are the following examples sound equations?

0/40 = 0
0/20,000 = 0
0/1,562,489 =0

Yes or no?

I think the penny has dropped, hence your wall of text. I suppose the link proving he was the worst in the prem when it came to shots to goals ratio did make you feel like an idiot.
No, actually it didn't because that article was ranked by shots taken. If you look at the numbers based upon shot accuracy or goal/shot ratio, he's not worst.

You should have written the piece for them. The first 100 players who top the list would be defenders...Would be a great informative "scientific" read. The comments would be great.

That would be an unfair comparison and is the same reason why I didn't include our own defenders.

Seriously, you can just admit you're wrong. You can stop all of this now, you don't have to keep up this facade that you are the smartest, best Spurs fans who can point out any number of "See! I told you so!!" types of posts. They just scream of desperation to some semblance of respectability to some of your inane comments.

Seriously, you can just admit you're wrong. You can stop all of this now, you don't have to keep up this facade that you are the smartest, best Spurs fans who can point out any number of "See! I told you so!!" types of posts. They just scream of desperation to some semblance of respectability to some of your inane comments.

You dont have to be smart at all for this BTW.

Its not surprising you want me to stop. Actually I have a crumb of comfort for you...Since Andros was out injured, and has taken less shots recently, he has lost his crown. You should write to the editor and demand they...erm...go by your rules of ignoring defenders, but include midfielders who have not scored but have had less than a quarter of shots than Townsend did. That way you can win an argument on the internet and Bentaleb will be listed among the top with a 100 other players who have yet to score before Andros so the headline below taken from 3 weeks ago looks less embarrassing for you.

You can also call Opta and tell them I am telling lies about Townsend taking over 50 prem shots because you saw a different figure on another website.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014...fifty-efforts-spurs-and-norwich-men-two-of-t/

1 goal in more than FIFTY efforts - Spurs and Norwich men two of the most wasteful.

You dont have to be smart at all for this BTW.

Its not surprising you want me to stop. Actually I have a crumb of comfort for you...Since Andros was out injured, and has taken less shots recently, he has lost his crown. You should write to the editor and demand they...erm...go by your rules of ignoring defenders, but include midfielders who have not scored but have had less than a quarter of shots than Townsend did. That way you can win an argument on the internet and Bentaleb will be listed among the top with a 100 other players who have yet to score before Andros so the headline below taken from 3 weeks ago looks less embarrassing for you.

You can also call Opta and tell them I am telling lies about Townsend taking over 50 prem shots because you saw a different figure on another website.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014...fifty-efforts-spurs-and-norwich-men-two-of-t/

1 goal in more than FIFTY efforts - Spurs and Norwich men two of the most wasteful.
You still couldn't answer a simple "yes" or "no" question, could you?

Thank you for once again proving what I've said all along.

You still couldn't answer a simple "yes" or "no" question, could you?

Thank you for once again proving what I've said all along.

You can't work out a goals to shots ratio without a goal. You idiot. Until he passes Towsends shots taken, you can't claim shit scientifically or percentage wise.

The fact that Townsends goal/shot was a cross, well that just makes it funnier, but a goals a goal.

Last edited:
You can't work out a goals to shots ratio without a goal.

So, even though you didn't actually answer "yes" or "no", I take it that you think the following are mathematically incorrect...

0/40 = 0
0/20,000 = 0
0/1,562,489 =0

You idiot.
That's rich. At least I understand basic math.

Until he passes Towsends shots taken, you can't claim shit scientifically or percentage wise.

Soldado
68 Shots
11 goals

Ade
40 Shots
11 goals

By your logic and explanation, we can't say that Ade is a better or worse finisher than Soldado because Adebayor doesn't yet have the same number of shots as Soldado.

The fact that Townsends goal/shot was a cross, well that just makes it funnier, but a goals a goal.
Correct.:bae:

whilst mathematically you cannot divide 0 by a number if you ignore maths and just look at it intuitively townsend is obviously do something wrong.

a better way of looking at things would be to look at every player who has not scored and the player who has taken the most shots would be the worst.

Take this for example. If you were looking at people who have taken they're driving test
you can represent people who have taken 1 driving test and passed first time as 1:1 or passed on the second as 1:2 or taken 5 and not passed as 0:5

Now whilst mathematically any ratio that starts with 0 is undefined but suppose we are only looking at people who have never passed we can still compare them to people who have passed by eliminating the the first 0. Looking at that someone who has failed 20 tests has to be doing worse than someone who has failed 2. You can also say that anyone who has passed on any go up to their 20th is also doing better than the person who has failed 20. However you cannot compare someone who has failed 20 driving tests to someone who has passed on their 21st time until both have at least had an equal amount of attempts.

A more simplistic way however would just be to divide shots by goals and to look at things in the way ' x player need y amount of shots per 1 goal). In andros' case he just isnt a goal scorer plain and simple.

You can represent someon who has pa

Also he needs to be starting ahead of Lennon from now on. No doubt about it, sure he doesn't always make the right decisions but at least he gets on the ball and does something. He also put in a pretty decent shift at the end of the Southhampton game.

Also he needs to be starting ahead of Lennon from now on. No doubt about it, sure he doesn't always make the right decisions but at least he gets on the ball and does something. He also put in a pretty decent shift at the end of the Southhampton game.

Both need to be dropped IMO. It's like for like. Just because one is playing REALLY shit, does not mean we should replace him with another having a not quite as shit season.

Back
Top Bottom