Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can't believe all the Doomers on here.

Did Guardiola win anything in his first year with City? NO

Did Klopp win anything in his first year with Pool? NO

Why are all the Nancies on here already calling for the coach to be sacked?

Give Ange a go for at least two seasons.

I think using Pep as an example is not helpful.

His 2nd season he won the league with over 100 points and losing just 2 games.

Do you see Ange doing that?

Klopp and Arteta are fairer examples.

Seriously, Kaz. You're seeing things that ain't there, mate.
Why would anyone on an anonymous platform be scared or worried about some other anonymous geezers who they'll never meet ridiculing what they post.
Think about it, for a minute.

As for me. If new ambitious owners took over tomorrow then I would personally want him replaced with a more proven manager who's won at the highest level because with the right backing they'd more than likely win with us, too.

However, because that ain't happening, we might as well stick with Ange. But that doesn't mean I won't criticise him if I think he's not getting the best out of whatever he has available or the football continues to be so awful it produces results like those we've seen in recent months
Like anybody need worry about embarrassment here when a poster has spent what feels like the last seven and a half years arguing across multiple threads that managers in the J and A League are in fact the cream of the global crop...

We had two of the type of managers you are talking about and they were horrendous for our club.
Mourinho was washed up, some Levy crush from his youth years… Our fans wanted to believe it was Man Utd who were terrible, not Mourinho (although in reality, it’s probably a bit of both).

Conte would’ve worked if he was given some 200m for the next 3-4 transfer windows. But that won’t happen at Tottenham, we’re still building the squad the right way since 2003 and still have not come to win anything but a League Cup.
Out of every manager out there they all have faults.
Exactly, so why is when people point out that Postecoglou’s system looks flawed, terribly flawed, his fanboys jump up their arses like we’ve insulted their old men?
Pep,Klopp and Ancelotti are three that are proven managers that have won at the highest level but all three without crazy money wouldn’t win.
Bingo.
Give Ange a budget to get what he wants quality wise and depth wise I’m confident he would bring us success.
I think that would be a common theme with all the managers we’ve had. I’d preferred if we did that with someone more proven.

Mourinho was washed up, some Levy crush from his youth years… Our fans wanted to believe it was Man Utd who were terrible, not Mourinho (although in reality, it’s probably a bit of both).

Conte would’ve worked if he was given some 200m for the next 3-4 transfer windows. But that won’t happen at Tottenham, we’re still building the squad the right way since 2003 and still have not come to win anything but a League Cup.

Exactly, so why is when people point out that Postecoglou’s system looks flawed, terribly flawed, his fanboys jump up their arses like we’ve insulted their old men?

Bingo.

I think that would be a common theme with all the managers we’ve had. I’d preferred if we did that with someone more proven.
At times it is flawed but you’ll find a flaw in every system. When ours works it definitely works but when it doesn’t Ange sticks to it no matter what and makes like for like subs rather than a formation still within that system that surprises the opposition or makes the opposition have change.

That is my only negative towards Ange this season because everything else I’ve been happy with.

If we are having this conversation next year and nothing changes then I wouldn’t be in the Ange all in camp.

Never thought for a second it was going to brilliant all season but if you asked me if I’d have accepted 5th position with a chance of finishing 4th with 6 games to go at the start of the season I’d have took it. I’m pretty sure 99.9% would have too.
Maybe you're right with your 99.9% figure. Who knows. But personally I think a club of our status should have much higher goals at the start of every season .
I guess this is typical of the weak, losing culture Conte spoke about. It's little wonder we no longer win anything when even our fans have such dismally low expectations.

Last edited:
At times it is flawed but you’ll find a flaw in every system.
Of course, but it’s important to note how big those flaws are.
When ours works it definitely works but when it doesn’t Ange sticks to it no matter what and makes like for like subs rather than a formation still within that system that surprises the opposition or makes the opposition have change.
I wouldn’t necessarily think of a formation change, if he doesn’t want to sacrifice a midfielder for a defender or whatever. For example, we’ve seen Newcastle exploit our defence constantly, behind our defensive line and behind our fullbacks. He could’ve tried to drop the defensive line a little bit, or told one of the fullbacks to stop overcommitting and then shift the CBs to the side where either fullback has joined the attack. It’s not like his system would stop working (at least I don’t think so) if either of these things are not done to the extreme. To me it just looks as if he knows one thing and doesn’t know what to do when it doesn’t work.

Same with the losses mate. There’s mitigating factors in every game. You don’t have to find fault in every win. Villa away was very comfortable from start to finish.
Out of the games we have lost Newcastle is the only game we were never in. Fulham away we could’ve been in front and Brighton away could’ve been 6-6 at the end up. The others ones were by one goal apart from Chelsea but the reasons are obvious why they happened.
What were the mitigating factors in the batterings by Brighton, Fulham and Newcastle?
Heck, what was the mitigating factor against Wolves at home?
Very few injuries by these games.
What about West Ham away, what was the mitigating factor for drawing against that shite taking a total of 1 point from 6 from them?

Too many excuses for this team this season.

I joined the forum before because I knew i was coming.

Golden Boots secret society sent me here to win it all next season. That's how we got Bergvall too
4D CHESS BITCHES
Mad The Odd Couple GIF by CBS

Rogers to Villa, Wharton to Palace and Scott to Bournemouth all very doable deals for us , all looking decent . We could have done Bergvall plus one of the above 3 , I think we might have missed a trick , same with Eze previously. They are all likely to be much more expensive now , we have bought some decent players from abroad but have missed out on some decent championship talent . We got Maddison cheap as a premier proven player because Leicester went down. We should have taken Maddison from Norwich probably . Sometimes we need to move earlier , Dele was a 5 million no risk from Div 1
There are likely softer financial reasons to buy from Champ….legal terms are more straightforward, as are taxes, and agent costs are likely to be more transparent. Also think you can load the fee with conditional payments and that’s more tricky with foreign clubs. Also keeps cash in this country to be fair so ethically no bad thing helping out the football pyramid

Also, if it doesn’t work champ clubs are more likely to take the player in say two years as opposed to a foreign flop

Maybe you're right with your 99.9% figure. Who knows. But personally I think a club of our status should have much higher goals at the start of every season .
I guess this is typical of the weak, losing culture Conte spoke about. It's little wonder we no longer win anything when even our fans have such dismally low expectations.
I think that too and next season I think silverware is a must in whatever form that is. We are set up more now than ever before and if Ange is backed then there are no excuses. If he’s not then we stay the same and float about fighting for Europe. I think we have a manger we can relate to and his feelings on winning are what we want but I’m not sure the club really cares as long as they are financially well. That is where the problem lies. At the end of the day money is what makes you successful. You’ll get times when someone surprises you but generally down all the leagues the teams with the biggest or near to biggest budget will win the league.

Of course, but it’s important to note how big those flaws are.

I wouldn’t necessarily think of a formation change, if he doesn’t want to sacrifice a midfielder for a defender or whatever. For example, we’ve seen Newcastle exploit our defence constantly, behind our defensive line and behind our fullbacks. He could’ve tried to drop the defensive line a little bit, or told one of the fullbacks to stop overcommitting and then shift the CBs to the side where either fullback has joined the attack. It’s not like his system would stop working (at least I don’t think so) if either of these things are not done to the extreme. To me it just looks as if he knows one thing and doesn’t know what to do when it doesn’t work.
I’m in agreement with you. It doesn’t have to be a formation change but just a tweak sometimes especially like in the Newcastle game when it was obviously going away from us. I get why Ange doesn’t tweak it a lot of the time is because in a lot of the games even though we might be behind or drawing we are well in it and he trusts his system and players to get the win as has been proved on many occasions.

I think that too and next season I think silverware is a must in whatever form that is. We are set up more now than ever before and if Ange is backed then there are no excuses. If he’s not then we stay the same and float about fighting for Europe. I think we have a manger we can relate to and his feelings on winning are what we want but I’m not sure the club really cares as long as they are financially well. That is where the problem lies. At the end of the day money is what makes you successful. You’ll get times when someone surprises you but generally down all the leagues the teams with the biggest or near to biggest budget will win the league.
I agree Ange must be backed but I'm not sure about his choice of players. Johnson being an example. Wanting Gallagher is just plain stupid. Did he also choose Werner? I'm not sure...

Werner has been very good for us (he has 5 g/a and 2 more own goals that he set up, basically a goal contribution per game which is the most consistent output we've gotten from our forwards this season apart from Son. His terrible finishing is definitely hard to watch though) and we got him at a time when we were riddled with injuries and Son was gone for asia cup.

Has anyone thought of Romero could do well in the 6 role we seem to need? He seems technically gifted enough to try there at some point (not any meaningful game right away obviously), while obviously being defensively gifted enough.

Of course this is us being the Levy bargain hunters but.. stranger things have happened.

Has anyone thought of Romero could do well in the 6 role we seem to need? He seems technically gifted enough to try there at some point (not any meaningful game right away obviously), while obviously being defensively gifted enough.

Of course this is us being the Levy bargain hunters but.. stranger things have happened.

Reaction GIF

I’ve already stated I’m Ange out.

But, I like the guy a lot. And I want to be wrong and to see him prove me wrong would be brilliant. At the moment though I am far from convinced he is the answer.

That written, I do recognise that his failure would be linked to many others around the gaff, and seeing him out the door while so many of the others would left behind, entirely unaccountable, would be an grave injustice.

Ange is a good guy, and brave. But so is/was Ossie and he could not hide from the bashings in the end either, same as Ange won’t be able to, 3-0 or 4-0 back to back are ominous. You don’t lose twice to Wolves in one season and be credible.

Jose and Conte were accused of having only one way to set up and not being adaptable and not being entertaining enough.

Ange is absolutely one dimensional, is not adaptable but is considered to be entertaining.

So by the single metric of entertainment most fans forgive the results and would favour Ange, but it’s (mostly) been horrible since December. Patchy at best, is that really entertaining? I sit above the away fans it’s pretty gloomy when Luton spend 60 minutes celebrating below us. Thats not due to the result, it’s because Ange’s team had no control for a massive amount of time at home to relegation fodder. Our celebrations were relief, that’s quite different to celebrations with the pride of a commanding performance.

My last bit of honestly is that I’ve been going through this loop with Spurs for so long now that my cynicism is off the charts, and Ange is currently useful to Levy and the company PR scheme but a significant upturn is necessary pretty soon before those stories of dressing room unrest are leaked out via Alastair Gold (again).

I am genuinely sorry I can’t be more optimistic, especially ahead of Woolwich. And yes 5th is “good”, but that’s not reflective of echos of Glory to me, it’s average and probably disappointing. Again I don’t want Ange to fail, genuinely I don’t .

But, I like the guy a lot. And I want to be wrong and to see him prove me wrong would be brilliant. At the moment though I am far from convinced he is the answer.

That written, I do recognise that his failure would be linked to many others around the gaff, and seeing him out the door while so many of the others would left behind, entirely unaccountable, would be an grave injustice.

Ange is a good guy, and brave. But so is/was Ossie and he could not hide from the bashings in the end either, same as Ange won’t be able to, 3-0 or 4-0 back to back are ominous. You don’t lose twice to Wolves in one season and be credible.

Jose and Conte were accused of having only one way to set up and not being adaptable and not being entertaining enough.

Ange is absolutely one dimensional, is not adaptable but is considered to be entertaining.

So by the single metric of entertainment most fans forgive the results and would favour Ange, but it’s (mostly) been horrible since December. Patchy at best, is that really entertaining? I sit above the away fans it’s pretty gloomy when Luton spend 60 minutes celebrating below us, that’s not due to the result, it’s because Ange’s team had no control for a massive amount of time at home to relegation fodder.

My last bit kf honestly is that I’ve been going through this loop with Spurs for so long now that my cynicism is off the charts, and Ange is currently useful to Levy and the company PR scheme but a significant upturn is necessary pretty soon before those stories of dressing room unrest are leaked out via Alastair Gold again.

I am genuinely sorry I can’t be more optimistic, especially ahead of Woolwich. And yes 5th is “good”, but that’s not reflective of echos of Glory to me, it’s average and probably disappointing.

Disgusting post.

End of story.

Yeah let’s just keep changing the manager every season. That’s worked out well.

Last edited:
Disgusting post.

As far as I’m concerned, anyone who is Ange Out isn’t a spurs fan.

End of story.

Go find another clubs

Yeah let’s just keep changing the manager every season. That’s worked out well.

Don’t ever post on here again.
The rumbled goat is back again, I see you've removed the scum song from your profile to try and throw people of the scent, anyway don't want to get in the way of you calling people clowns for having an opinion about their team.

So by the single metric of entertainment most fans forgive the results and would favour Ange, but it’s (mostly) been horrible since December. Patchy at best, is that really entertaining? I sit above the away fans it’s pretty gloomy when Luton spend 60 minutes celebrating below us. Thats not due to the result, it’s because Ange’s team had no control for a massive amount of time at home to relegation fodder. Our celebrations were relief, that’s quite different to celebrations with the pride of a commanding performance.

My last bit of honestly is that I’ve been going through this loop with Spurs for so long now that my cynicism is off the charts, and Ange is currently useful to Levy and the company PR scheme but a significant upturn is necessary pretty soon before those stories of dressing room unrest are leaked out via Alastair Gold (again).

I am genuinely sorry I can’t be more optimistic, especially ahead of Woolwich. And yes 5th is “good”, but that’s not reflective of echos of Glory to me, it’s average and probably disappointing. Again I don’t want Ange to fail, genuinely I don’t .
I'm not quite Ange out yet but I'm closer to it than most on here it seems which is no surprise given the amount of waffle I've seen to shut down any criticism of the manager.

I will say, if he insists on leaving the defenders exposed again at the weekend and it leads to a hiding during which he does nothing but wait until 60/65 minutes to make like for like changes then I'm not sure he can get back from that.

This game is all that matters this season.

Back
Top Bottom