Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Beat villa 4-0 but mitigating factors. 0-0 first half vs 11 men.
They'd played away in Europe on the Thursday. Took them going down to 10, and even then about half an hour before 2-0 became 4-0
The point is, even in our wins there is often more to it than fans think.
I agree and am increasingly annoyed by the way we play in general but was just trying to make a point that particular results in this league mean very little. Crystal Palace or Bournemouth can go from looking like Championship fodder to very decent and capable of hurting anyone in a space of weeks.

The rumbled goat is back again, I see you've removed the scum song from your profile to try and throw people of the scent, anyway don't want to get in the way of you calling people clowns for having an opinion about their team.

Why lie, Sol Campbell.

I stand by everything I said.

Criticising Ange is one thing. Being ‘Ange out’ is another.

Quote me again and you won’t like the consequences.

Now jog on, gooner. You’re not welcome here.

How DARE you sign up pretending to be a spurs fan. But most of us see right through you. You ain’t spurs, and you’ll never be spurs.

Deal with that.

Oh and perma blocked. I won’t waste my time dealing with gooner rats. I will make sure you’re removed from this forum soon, BOY.

Why lie, Sol Campbell.

I stand by everything I said.

Criticising Ange is one thing. Being ‘Ange out’ is another.

Quote me again and you won’t like the consequences.

Now jog on, gooner. You’re not welcome here.
I'm shaking here, what power does a cretinous goat fond of misquoting people wield, only one way to find out I guess

I’ve already stated I’m Ange out.

But, I like the guy a lot. And I want to be wrong and to see him prove me wrong would be brilliant. At the moment though I am far from convinced he is the answer.

That written, I do recognise that his failure would be linked to many others around the gaff, and seeing him out the door while so many of the others would left behind, entirely unaccountable, would be an grave injustice.

Ange is a good guy, and brave. But so is/was Ossie and he could not hide from the bashings in the end either, same as Ange won’t be able to, 3-0 or 4-0 back to back are ominous. You don’t lose twice to Wolves in one season and be credible.

Jose and Conte were accused of having only one way to set up and not being adaptable and not being entertaining enough.

Ange is absolutely one dimensional, is not adaptable but is considered to be entertaining.

So by the single metric of entertainment most fans forgive the results and would favour Ange, but it’s (mostly) been horrible since December. Patchy at best, is that really entertaining? I sit above the away fans it’s pretty gloomy when Luton spend 60 minutes celebrating below us. Thats not due to the result, it’s because Ange’s team had no control for a massive amount of time at home to relegation fodder. Our celebrations were relief, that’s quite different to celebrations with the pride of a commanding performance.

My last bit of honestly is that I’ve been going through this loop with Spurs for so long now that my cynicism is off the charts, and Ange is currently useful to Levy and the company PR scheme but a significant upturn is necessary pretty soon before those stories of dressing room unrest are leaked out via Alastair Gold (again).

I am genuinely sorry I can’t be more optimistic, especially ahead of Woolwich. And yes 5th is “good”, but that’s not reflective of echos of Glory to me, it’s average and probably disappointing. Again I don’t want Ange to fail, genuinely I don’t .
That's a great post Lee.
Thought provoking, honest and spoken from the heart.
Pretty much something any passionate Spurs fan can relate too.

But, I like the guy a lot. And I want to be wrong and to see him prove me wrong would be brilliant. At the moment though I am far from convinced he is the answer.

That written, I do recognise that his failure would be linked to many others around the gaff, and seeing him out the door while so many of the others would left behind, entirely unaccountable, would be an grave injustice.

Ange is a good guy, and brave. But so is/was Ossie and he could not hide from the bashings in the end either, same as Ange won’t be able to, 3-0 or 4-0 back to back are ominous. You don’t lose twice to Wolves in one season and be credible.

Jose and Conte were accused of having only one way to set up and not being adaptable and not being entertaining enough.

Ange is absolutely one dimensional, is not adaptable but is considered to be entertaining.

So by the single metric of entertainment most fans forgive the results and would favour Ange, but it’s (mostly) been horrible since December. Patchy at best, is that really entertaining? I sit above the away fans it’s pretty gloomy when Luton spend 60 minutes celebrating below us. Thats not due to the result, it’s because Ange’s team had no control for a massive amount of time at home to relegation fodder. Our celebrations were relief, that’s quite different to celebrations with the pride of a commanding performance.

My last bit of honestly is that I’ve been going through this loop with Spurs for so long now that my cynicism is off the charts, and Ange is currently useful to Levy and the company PR scheme but a significant upturn is necessary pretty soon before those stories of dressing room unrest are leaked out via Alastair Gold (again).

I am genuinely sorry I can’t be more optimistic, especially ahead of Woolwich. And yes 5th is “good”, but that’s not reflective of echos of Glory to me, it’s average and probably disappointing. Again I don’t want Ange to fail, genuinely I don’t .

I think it’s interesting that you and Matt who both go to games are feeling this way.

Lot of people on here - myself included - never or rarely go to matches. Personally I feel detached from the club due to that.

Always keen to hear the views / takes of those in the stadium.

Even if I don’t fully agree with them!!

Great post.

Fair play for being honest. I was Mourinho out very early and got a load of flak. I remember one poster on here wanted Nuno gone when we lost that conference league game in his 2nd game and got slaughtered.

I think the next 6 games will tell us a lot. A big win or two against decent oppo and it will calm down but keep getting battered whilst looking naive puts Ange under pretty big pressure going into next season which is never good.

They were horrendous for our ownership model. (Although Conte did have our ramshackle, under invested mess of a squad qualifying for the Champions League at Scums expense).

Which is why I said, in the absence of new owners, we may as well stick with Postie. But that doesn't mean he's above criticism.
What will new owners bring?!

Newcashtle are hamstrung by the sustainability rules and aren’t able to splurge their oil millions.

Like it or not Levy has created the infrastructure that finally may see us able to invest playing personnel wise where others can’t, unless the sustainability rules are watered down.

I think it’s interesting that you and Matt who both go to games are feeling this way.

Lot of people on here - myself included - never or rarely go to matches. Personally I feel detached from the club due to that.

Always keen to hear the views / takes of those in the stadium.

Even if I don’t fully agree with them!!
Definitely don’t let non attendance disconnect you from the team. It’s not really a test of loyalty, it’s probably more a test of practicality and affordability.

I’ve been blessed to be born local to the club, grown up within easy commuting distance and been able to afford to go ( Christ knows how at times ) but I am no bigger fan than my cousin, who for example moved to Sydney, has Spurs stuff everywhere and consumes as much Spurs as he can ( along with his son ) but gets to a game once every ten years 👍

Last edited:
Fair play for being honest. I was Mourinho out very early and got a load of flak. I remember one poster on here wanted Nuno gone when we lost that conference league game in his 2nd game and got slaughtered.

I think the next 6 games will tell us a lot. A big win or two against decent oppo and it will calm down but keep getting battered whilst looking naive puts Ange under pretty big pressure going into next season which is never good.
You are right, some big / better results in the final 6 are likely to calm things down, but less than 6 points, possibly 9 from 18 available might not be enough to sustain calm if there follows a limited expenditure Summer ( which appears likely )

That season when Hoddle unraveled and they got done by big margins at the end of a season took the negativity into the next year and by September we had Pleat back in the dug out. History rhymes often, hopefully not too often.

Seems to me most of your frustration is pointed in the wrong direction.

Mainly because Ange is a good communicator and brought a feel good factor to club that we are all frustrated by and hadn't really changed much aside from bringing him in.

Just because he's saying the right things doesn't mean he's good for Levy's PR machine. Your frustration and the volume of the frustrated people are the evidence of that.

The only thing that saves this club's PR is winning things and that is the way it needs to be now. No escape from it.

Personally, I still think his communication skills are part of the reason why he can be the one to break the cycle here. You are right, we don't have much reason from the club to be optimistic based on the past. Cult like blind optimism, consciously and intentionally might be the only way.

The vibes in the stadium are when we are unplayable at home and you get those vibes from optimism. Thing is, our fans are so browbeaten that the first sign of less than good football and the vibes are gone with this club and this fanbase because they just don't have the stamina and belief.

That season when Hoddle unraveled and they got done by big margins at the end of a season took the negativity into the next year and by September we had Pleat back in the dug out. History rhymes often, hopefully not too often.
Remember that well, our performances the back end of that Hoddle season were dreadful and the board obviously had their doubts and binned him after 6 games i think. Similar happened to Ramos after we won the league cup, the team just downed tools and that carried on into the following season as well.

Dont think 9 pts from the next 6 would be a disaster though as long as the performances are better.

Remember that well, our performances the back end of that Hoddle season were dreadful and the board obviously had their doubts and binned him after 6 games i think. Similar happened to Ramos after we won the league cup, the team just downed tools and that carried on into the following season as well.

Dont think 9 pts from the next 6 would be a disaster though as long as the performances are better.
Yeah, considering who we are playing 9 would be a good return. 6 ok, and expected. Less than 6, could be looking over our shoulders a bit, which is problematic in the sense of “how the fuck have we got into that position?”

Seems to me most of your frustration is pointed in the wrong direction.

Mainly because Ange is a good communicator and brought a feel good factor to club that we are all frustrated by and hadn't really changed much aside from bringing him in.

Just because he's saying the right things doesn't mean he's good for Levy's PR machine. Your frustration and the volume of the frustrated people are the evidence of that.

The only thing that saves this club's PR is winning things and that is the way it needs to be now. No escape from it.

Personally, I still think his communication skills are part of the reason why he can be the one to break the cycle here. You are right, we don't have much reason from the club to be optimistic based on the past. Cult like blind optimism, consciously and intentionally might be the only way.

The vibes in the stadium are when we are unplayable at home and you get those vibes from optimism. Thing is, our fans are so browbeaten that the first sign of less than good football and the vibes are gone with this club and this fanbase because they just don't have the stamina and belief.
Very well reasoned as usual. That point about Stamina and belief is worth attention, I now lack both in regards Tottenham. Which actually to be fair I don’t like feeling that way.

Back
Top Bottom