Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I did, I read your interpretation about what he said.

I still think he didn't want his, the players, the clubs integrity and proffesionalism being called into question.

We all were fucking pissed at how players and managers were acting when playing us in the Leciester season. It fucking stunk.

Either way we have to move on now and he needs to get us purring next season or else it's going to be another fucked up year
You can ignore what he said if you want, mate.

I don't care.

I don't usually bother with pressers but was quite impressed with Ange here. He held his hands up and said he was mistaken to misunderstand the feeling of so many fans, and would've done things differently if he could. He said the fans are the custodians of the club and he's just managing, something some of us have been thinking I'm sure. It does make you wonder what kind of bubble these players and managers are in now though, if he could go into such a game and be genuinely unaware of the depth of feeling about it here.

I don't usually bother with pressers but was quite impressed with Ange here. He held his hands up and said he was mistaken to misunderstand the feeling of so many fans, and would've done things differently if he could. He said the fans are the custodians of the club and he's just managing, something some of us have been thinking I'm sure. It does make you wonder what kind of bubble these players and managers are in now though, if he could go into such a game and be genuinely unaware of the depth of feeling about it here.

Maybe it was wishful thinking on his part, he didn’t like to think that we would be okay with losing in that circumstance so he dismissed it and chose not to believe it.

It does make you wonder what kind of bubble these players and managers are in now though, if he could go into such a game and be genuinely unaware of the depth of feeling about it here.
I'm just resigned to the fact that they will never understand the inequality of demanding anything from an average paying supporter. It's not even an Ange thing. I get pissed off at Pep when he slanders City fans for not turning up in empty cup games. The average fan isn't going to go to a random shit game on a Tuesday night and pay full price just to get home on a Wednesday morning, yet if any manager made the tickets a fiver I'm sure they'd come from all over the country and do whatever the fuck he asked no problem.

I'm just resigned to the fact that they will never understand the inequality of demanding anything from an average paying supporter. It's not even an Ange thing. I get pissed off at Pep when he slanders City fans for not turning up in empty cup games. The average fan isn't going to go to a random shit game on a Tuesday night and pay full price just to get home on a Wednesday morning, yet if any manager made the tickets a fiver I'm sure they'd come from all over the country and do whatever the fuck he asked no problem.
There's something strange about 1000s of empty seats in the ground when the game is being watched by 1000000s worldwide. Why not drop the prices until the ground is full? They'd probably take the same and the atmosphere would be tons better.

Bowing out
I was hoping joining TFC would enhance my long distance relationship with Spurs.
Maybe I’m too old, but I just hope we are not really as divided as the conversations suggest.
Bless all the good folks and double blessings for the ones with more anger than joy - take stock and enjoy
Extra flounce points for changing your name from 'virtualjimbo' to 'Done'.

Good luck :thumbup:

There's something strange about 1000s of empty seats in the ground when the game is being watched by 1000000s worldwide. Why not drop the prices until the ground is full? They'd probably take the same and the atmosphere would be tons better.
I agree with this but I'm sure the argument is that the quality of City's football is such that they cannot keep lowering the value of the product. Or they have to pretend to make money somehow...

Either way it is bullshit and the customer who can't get a bus back on a Tuesday evening is always right.

Maybe it was wishful thinking on his part, he didn’t like to think that we would be okay with losing in that circumstance so he dismissed it and chose not to believe it.
He is saying whatever he needs to say to get him out of a situation he never needed to be in in the first place. The situation with Man City and Woolrich and the title was a once in a lifetime deal that didn't have anything to do with wins and losses going forward. Own goal.

Gallagher is a No 8 and he’s no better than Sarr and worse than a healthy Benta. Plus I’d like to play Devine for cup games against lower league sides and easy European fixtures.

The Chav cunt isn’t good enough as a No 10 or No 6. So hard pass.
That’s what I don’t get about Ange’s hard for CG! Dies he actually improve our starting 11 if at all? Why not for for a player in a position we defo need to strength such as in attack? Spend the CG money plus some and go get ollise or eze. They improve our starting 11 straight away. Promote the youngsters in place of CG.

Most challenging 48 hour spell? What happened? Did Levy kidnap Ange’s family and tell Ange to take a dive in the 51st minute v City?
Surely after getting pumped by every team recently those should have been his challenging times. Not some BS about whether the fans a s some people inside the club wanted to lose to city. None that impact his ability to couch our team to defend set pieces or give up space like there’s no tnrw!

I can agree to that.

But despite that fact, even leaving aside league, he had also chance to fight for two cups.
ManU made to one final, Chelsea made the other. Both behind us in the league, so in this season context he also bears some responsibility.
Chans could still end up 5th even after their terrible season or 6th. We could end up just one point ahead of them after the injuries they’ve had.

S
No, I think having big gaps between games can 100% affect match sharpness. You can't replicate game like situations in training. It's impossible.

Klopp and Pep don't moan at the amount of games. They moan at the schedule of playing mid week then lunch time on a Saturday.

It's not an excuse. But I don't think playing less games was meant to make us somewhat better performers or more competitive.

Who above us has had worse injuries than us?

Not interested in teams below us.

The solution is buying better players that suit.

The whole point of THIS season was nailing down the basics. Drilling that through the whole team through repititon over and over again.

By doing so, you see who's capable over a 38 game period. And by the end of it, you get rid of those who cannot do it and you're left with those who can.

See point above. Repetition. Repititon Reptition.

Postecoglou wants to change the entire culture of the club. He isn't going to know if the players are all in if within a few months, he changes it up.

He wants to see that if you're in an uncomfortable situation or a sticky moment, youre still going to try and play brave and not just pass it back or knock it long to get it away.

It's no surprise that now the season is coming to an end, he's likely got an idea of who has zero future here, who has and is now trying different things. The false 9 against City. Van de Ven at left back. Kulusevski playing LW etc.

Maybe that's the wrong way of doing things. But it's worked for him everywhere he's been. So I guess we should probably give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think my comments above tie in to all this tbh.

The season was a test for the entire squad. To see if they could keep up his vision for a season, when things got tough if they could keep it up, playing the same way, not shy away from it.

I reckon a fair few failed.

I cannot wait for the summer.
urely you can’t waste a season as a test? If that’s the case he would have known which players arnt up to
It ages ago. In fact after the Fulham cup game isn’t that what he said he needed to se some players. Well his basically picked the sane core players every gane and the subs have been predictable swap the whole midfield 3 out.
Re the gap between games isn’t that the time to work on throwing pitch? How many coaches moan they DON’T have enough time to work on things bcos they are playing every 3/4 days. We don’t look like we do anything.
Also to work on the mentality. Exactly how they do that gawd knows. How many sessions do they need to work on that!

Agreed and to prove the point I’m fairly certain the vast majority of fans attending games would vote to bin VAR but fuck the fans the clubs look like voting to keep it 😡

poch was kept around too long, we lost 3-0 to i think it might of been sheff united or brighton? that was on the back of a poor run where you could tell it had run its course. i cant remember many instances if any where once it looks like its gone sour and it recovers? but poch should of been gone after that 3-0, he was kept about and all it did was waste time.
Spot on. It was Brighton away, 3 nil, Poch had clearly lost the dressing room (as was later confirmed by The Athletic's post mortem). One of the worst displays I've ever seen from a Spurs side.

If I'm not wrong we had something like 25 points from Poch's last 24 league games - relegation form for effectively 3/4s of a season - and our last away win hadn't been for 9 (!) months. The CL run in the meantime papered over a lot of cracks and while the usual melts in the media were moaning that Poch didn't deserve the sack (*cough* Lineker) the reality was he should've gone much sooner.

Of course that was the point when our genius Daniel finally decided to back him in the transfer market, and Poch duly spent 150m on absolute crap. Ndombelly alone probably cost the club £130m all in.

How many years did that summer set us back? Where would we be had we amicably parted ways with Poch after the final, brought in a proper DOF and attacking manager, and built for the future with a same style of football we'd been playing the preceding 5 years?

For the record I greatly respect Poch for what he did at the club and he's by far the best manager in my lifetime. Getting top 2-3 for all those years with practically zero net spend was miraculous and in my view one of the Prem's greatest ever achievements in coaching.

But the lesson here is that good things can go bad quickly, and when they do and it's clear the manager isn't stopping the rot it's usually better just ripping the bandage off and moving on rather than doubling down. Obviously there are the odd exception to this rule (lego-head being one) but how often in Prem history is a club rewarded for sticking with a manager through a horrible run? 9 times out of 10 it ends in tears.

As for Ange, we'll see. We're not quite in the late stage Poch era but there are certainly alarm bells ringing. Increasingly weird press conferences. Significant downtrend in performances. Five losses in six. Calling out the players and the fans. He'll be here at the start of next season come what may but I can't say I'm thrilled at the way things are going. Seen it with all too many managers before.

Back
Top Bottom