Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’s a Coach with a career to build.

He’s not a forum shitposter that doesn’t study the game in the same way.

As a coach he’s being noticing all season that the system does get adjusted. Are you saying he’s wrong?

Or just your classic ad hominem tactics to discredit him instead of arguing with what he said?
I just wonder, seeing as you think there are Prem worthy coaches toiling away in the Aussie & Japanese leagues, do you think this bloke has got what it takes to be a Prem manager as well?

Exactly.

And fuck every cunt in here who keeps chirping ""Ange wants to win! You are just losers!" when the man himself has not been arsed about getting top 4 and has presided over a shit run of results and an absolutely pathetic set of results against our closest rivals.

In the cold light of day, this is all just deflection from an absolutely awful end to the season where a top 4 place was there for the taking, given the patchy form of Villa. It's not "changing the culture" or any bollocks like it, the culture is always good when these managers win a few games. As soon as the pressure comes, they look for anything to blame other than the way they set the team up.

Ange ain't the guy. I have done a 180 on him, I think we are just wasting time with him next season in the name of giving him a chance.
Villa had conf league games as well. If we had picked up 4 points from wolve x 2, Fulham, toon, Everton, etc we would have been home and dry. However he wasn’t arsed about being mentality and tactically strong for most of those games. Only v city did he talk up the game and importance wanting to show everyone we wouldn’t roll over for anyone. He wasn’t so bothered about being rolled over at home by goons, or a depleted chavs or loss of form dippers. Instead we let dippers go 4 up, goons 3 up and chavs they missed a hatful again and we offered f all. Show me the strong mentality he inspired in all those games!

Spot on. It was Brighton away, 3 nil, Poch had clearly lost the dressing room (as was later confirmed by The Athletic's post mortem). One of the worst displays I've ever seen from a Spurs side.

If I'm not wrong we had something like 25 points from Poch's last 24 league games - relegation form for effectively 3/4s of a season - and our last away win hadn't been for 9 (!) months. The CL run in the meantime papered over a lot of cracks and while the usual melts in the media were moaning that Poch didn't deserve the sack (*cough* Lineker) the reality was he should've gone much sooner.

Of course that was the point when our genius Daniel finally decided to back him in the transfer market, and Poch duly spent 150m on absolute crap. Ndombelly alone probably cost the club £130m all in.

How many years did that summer set us back? Where would we be had we amicably parted ways with Poch after the final, brought in a proper DOF and attacking manager, and built for the future with a same style of football we'd been playing the preceding 5 years?

For the record I greatly respect Poch for what he did at the club and he's by far the best manager in my lifetime. Getting top 2-3 for all those years with practically zero net spend was miraculous and in my view one of the Prem's greatest ever achievements in coaching.

But the lesson here is that good things can go bad quickly, and when they do and it's clear the manager isn't stopping the rot it's usually better just ripping the bandage off and moving on rather than doubling down. Obviously there are the odd exception to this rule (lego-head being one) but how often in Prem history is a club rewarded for sticking with a manager through a horrible run? 9 times out of 10 it ends in tears.

As for Ange, we'll see. We're not quite in the late stage Poch era but there are certainly alarm bells ringing. Increasingly weird press conferences. Significant downtrend in performances. Five losses in six. Calling out the players and the fans. He'll be here at the start of next season come what may but I can't say I'm thrilled at the way things are going. Seen it with all too many managers before.
By 2019 summer after what poch had done with levy’s “spending” he couldn’t do any more. Plus he has amenity credit and good will in the bank. Ange has still to show that he deserves the goodwill.

He’s got more chance than you do
My champ man saves from back in the day would disagree but I digress, I'll take that as a no then?

Staking your whole claim on a twitter tactico and saying "I think this and he agrees" is a bit embarrassing mate, much better to point out stuff you yourself have seen if you can and better to not say anything if you can't.

Exactly.

And fuck every cunt in here who keeps chirping ""Ange wants to win! You are just losers!" when the man himself has not been arsed about getting top 4 and has presided over a shit run of results and an absolutely pathetic set of results against our closest rivals.

In the cold light of day, this is all just deflection from an absolutely awful end to the season where a top 4 place was there for the taking, given the patchy form of Villa. It's not "changing the culture" or any bollocks like it, the culture is always good when these managers win a few games. As soon as the pressure comes, they look for anything to blame other than the way they set the team up.

Ange ain't the guy. I have done a 180 on him, I think we are just wasting time with him next season in the name of giving him a chance.
Spot on.

It'd be interesting to see the reaction if it's anything less than a mullering for Sheff U on Sunday with a clean sheet to boot.

My champ man saves from back in the day would disagree but I digress, I'll take that as a no then?

Staking your whole claim on a twitter tactico and saying "I think this and he agrees" is a bit embarrassing mate, much better to point out stuff you yourself have seen if you can and better to not say anything if you can't.

I’m not a football tactical expert and don’t claim to be.

This guy is very obviously better at analyzing football than me, so I’m sharing his opinion more than mine but saying that I agree.

I guess consider yourself more of a tactical expert. That’s fine mate, up to you.

Of course the trajectory is going to change one of the big changes will be the fitness of Midfield.

As I stated earlier the problem with our second half of the season is tyhe injury problems in Midfield and Attack

Richarlison has been injured since his bright purple patch.

Bissouma had Malaria at the Afcon.

Pape came back from Afcon with a back injury.

Bentacur is still recovering from an ACL.

Maddison is still recovering from an ankle injury.

Los Celso gets injured every time he is asked to play more than 20 Minutes.

Solomon Dead.

Perisic tore his ACL

Werner Hamstring

Udogie Thigh

Sessegnon Dead

We have been plagued by injuries and illness but it is not always obvious.

Whats worse is that our system requires energy and pressing with matches longer than ever we do not have the squad for high energy off the ball pressing.
Ffs we have hardly played any games. The players have had plenty of breaks and rest to get fit. They are all fit to me but the system and tactics is the issue.

I didnt find the game weird or embarrassing. Its epic shithousery. Its character building. It’s what real winners do lets face it all that humble shit only exists in the movies. Keep that fight in you dawg. Never give your enemies the satisfaction.

In 2 years time no one is going to remember the time Spurs lost to man city.. but in two years time everyone would have remembered for eternity the time we personally spit shined the premier league trophy for our archrivals.

Like house Stark, id rather die a dignified quick “just business” death at the hands of the Tyrells than be endure a long slow torture and embarrassed by my born enemies the Lannisters.

Theres just some thing you dont do. Theres no club that would have acted differently in the same situation throughout the whole English footballing pyramid.

Lets see some gooner tears on sunday and regroup stronger for next season.

One of the main issues for me here... is that bar a small minority, fans in the stadium weren't "rooting" for Man City. They were just within themselves and unsure what to do because of the pretty horrible situation we were put in. The noise even increased when we were on the attack. Singing stand up if you hate Woolwich when the game was lost isn't rooting for the opposition.

However, because of this idea that's been pushed the last few days by the press, rival fans and even our own manager. It's become accepted fact now that 60,000 Spurs fans cheered City goals and did the Poznan. Which is slanderous. total. fucking. bullshit.
100% agree. I was in the south stand. Most people around me were cheering the team on.
Singing anti-woolwich chants is to be expected because they were watching on tv.

Very true, except the pensioners part. Should pay the same as the rest (ex kids and youths)

But yes.

The thing is that actually over the past 10 years our average league position is good by historic Spurs standards (early 60s, 70s and 80s were the other good periods). But the lack of trophies is pathetic given how great our resources are (for which Levy does deserve credit).
Couldn't disagree more re pensioners , they follow the club for decades, expect something in return, only for it to be snatched away, this from a club charging extortionate prices.

Levy deserves credit for the business side of things, but well and all he has done there he has failed equally as much in the football side. Fans want success not gocarts , Beyonce concerts and hotels.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-t0z2leCFQ

"I mean...we've lost 5 out of 6 games. I'm not going to come in here and be happy. Look, I'm hoping that you guys after a year with me have understood I am who I am. I can't hide who I am and what I believe. And if I'm not happy about something I'm going to say I'm not happy. We lost 5 out of 6 games. I'm gutted. I'm not going to walk into a press conference and paint a rosy picture...at least people know how I feel. But am I up for the fight? Absolutely, mate. I love it. This is why I've come here, and this ain't the last fight I'm going to have for sure"

Out of all the Ange quotes that we have gotten. This is up there as one of my favourites so far.

Levy deserves credit for the business side of things, but well and all he has done there he has failed equally as much in the football side. Fans want success not gocarts , Beyonce concerts and hotels.
But Levy deserves credit for the go carts and Beyoncé concerts right?

He’s a Coach with a career to build.

He’s not a forum shitposter that doesn’t study the game in the same way.

As a coach he’s being noticing all season that the system does get adjusted. Are you saying he’s wrong?

Or just your classic ad hominem tactics to discredit him instead of arguing with what he said?

He is a fan. A basic look at his post history shows he is a fan. There's nothing wrong with being a fan, but it does mean your views are not objective. I'm sure he knows a lot more about the sport than I do, but I'm not questioning his knowledge, I'm questioning his ability to fairly critique Ange. I have never seen him post anything about him but wide-eyed optimism. He clearly got on the Ange train early and admires the guy a lot. Again, that is fine, but his views should be viewed from the perspective of this man is a fan/follower of the guy, a more qualified Mourinhoista if you will.

It's not ad hominem, its basic source analysis. I'm not insulting the guy, I'm saying he is somebody who believes very strongly in Ange and therefore confirmation bias is going to leek in to pretty much all his views. He's one of those where we could lose 4-0 and visibly be terrible and this guy would go on twitter and talk about how wonderful our patterns are. Do one ffs.

FYI I think we have seen adjustments throughout the season, but not as many as I like, or as many as other coaches make.

Don’t forget the Klopps go back this weekend.
Top Dad joke.

Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

But Levy deserves credit for the go carts and Beyoncé concerts right?
He gets credit when he business success translates into football success. No one cares about green energy awards or stadium of the year, it's league medals , fa cup trophy's etc that count. Until he manages to make his business acumen into on field success then he gets no credit from me

In 2 years time no one is going to remember the time Spurs lost to man city.. but in two years time everyone would have remembered for eternity the time we personally spit shined the premier league trophy for our archrivals.
You've nailed it there brother.

Ange should have understood that.

However; It was quite nice to feel as if you'd had a good telling off by your dad for being petty.

A better example would be to go and win in their back yard next season and do the double over them by repeating the trick at home.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-t0z2leCFQ

"I mean...we've lost 5 out of 6 games. I'm not going to come in here and be happy. Look, I'm hoping that you guys after a year with me have understood I am who I am. I can't hide who I am and what I believe. And if I'm not happy about something I'm going to say I'm not happy. We lost 5 out of 6 games. I'm gutted. I'm not going to walk into a press conference and paint a rosy picture...at least people know how I feel. But am I up for the fight? Absolutely, mate. I love it. This is why I've come here, and this ain't the last fight I'm going to have for sure"

Out of all the Ange quotes that we have gotten. This is up there as one of my favourites

He gets it, he doesn't agree with it. Move on.
Think Ange should let his talking be through the results on the park.
Seeing and hearing far too much of him ,no need for all this in-depth waffle ,its a game of football mate just get it done.

Back
Top Bottom