Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We scored more and conceded less whilst playing much better football.

Dier was MOTM in a CL SF just now btw. Between him and Dier they had hundreds of games worth of experience in the prem.

Udogie, VDV, Vicario all played their first prem season, whilst Porro played his first full season whilst adapting to a new position. There is plenty of excuses there if you want to make them. I just don't.
Bayern went out in that Semi final. I bet Dier did Dier things in the lead up to the goals (4 over 2 legs) that Real scored.

But a completely different tactical approach which leaves those defenders much more exposed.

The previous tactics had 5 defenders in line with four midfielders about 3 yards in front of them and just shuffled from side to side, all in our defensive 3rd of the pitch.

Our current tactical format has two cb’s on the halfway line, both FB’s pushed up into midfield and the rest pushed into the opponents 3rd of the pitch. When the opposition attacks it’s often on the break With only two or three players in front of them spread across the pitch.

Both systems have their defensive pros and cons and better players will always help both systems but when transitioning from one system to a completely different system with an emphasis more towards possession, progression and territory There are often inherent back door issues.

The bus park system is far more defensive orientated in its coaching.
The only pro in this system to me is that we have the ball more than we don't. We still look very vulnerable without the ball, just for different reasons. Poor VDV is going to get more injuries having to sprint back time and time again when teams trigger a quick counter.

So after all this contradictory bullshit the best response is you're a retard (classy) and you're brainless blah blah

You're better off just owning the fact that you're a massive flip flop and you generally have no idea what you're talking about as opposed to making yourself look even more stupid

Just log off for the Summer man 🤦‍♀️

No, my response to your very insightful and well argumented post of "you are and idiot" was that these posts are made over period of time. Over that time situation changed. And there was new info to consider.

But I see that you have no functional reading nor no concept how additional info can change perspective. So I am sorry to hurt your brain with things that are way beyond your intellectual level. Should have known better.

Sorry but this is completely ignoring the context, in particular the style of football played last season and this season.

We are playing much more attacking football now, scoring more goals, and consequently giving up more / better chances to the opposition. However we've not conceded lots more goals than last year, as our defenders and keeper are much better players.

Isn't this what everyone wanted? More attacking football, more goals scored, but without conceding lots more? I'm certainly happy with that. :/

*reads this post*

*goes back to check facts*

Last season we scored 70
This season we scored 74

Yeaaaaa... suuuureeee... we scored so much more this season. Whopping 4 goals more. This like... 0,1 goal more than last season. What a stark difference indeed.

But hey, don't let facts get in way of an awesome story and agenda, right!

Don't like this.

Just fucking say you're too busy preparing for next season.

Guy likes the shine too much.
On the other hand, I think that any football professional would benefit by watching current European players and systems and this is the perfect way to do it.

This is a unique opportunity that I would't miss if i were a football pro.

He’s a top bloke our manager.

Nice to see him relaxed while being interviewed back at “home” in Australia.
Clear they have a lot of love and respect for him over there. Great to see.

Roll on 24/25.

No, my response to your very insightful and well argumented post of "you are and idiot" was that these posts are made over period of time. Over that time situation changed. And there was new info to consider.

But I see that you have no functional reading nor no concept how additional info can change perspective. So I am sorry to hurt your brain with things that are way beyond your intellectual level. Should have known better.

Yes you're an idiot because your arguments are steeped in contradictions, no-one's gonna accept the fact that you've used every excuse in the book as far as injuries are concerned to defend the manager then 4 months later you turn around and say they're merely excuses to attack the manager - just stupid contradictory shit like that just exposes you and you've proved you're an emotional little toerag with your response.

Don't bother responding cause all you're gonna do is waste yours and my time with more silly mental gymnastics, pointless debating with peasants like yourself.

The only pro in this system to me is that we have the ball more than we don't. We still look very vulnerable without the ball, just for different reasons. Poor VDV is going to get more injuries having to sprint back time and time again when teams trigger a quick counter.
Your desperation and worship of a Manager who hated us is nie on delusional. Conte hated working with young players hence why he never signed any. He loved his experience hence why we bought Perisic to play at left wing back. Conte was so bad I lowered my standard that a manager has to want to be here.

Then we got Ange Postecoglu who is definitley not perfect but after losing Kane on the eve of the season and is far from perfect at least he is not a Crazy Italian who throws a tantrum every few weeks. At least he is a manager whom is willing to sign young, good technical players that the if he is fired next season we can at least use not players in the later stages of their careers.

Yes you're an idiot because your arguments are steeped in contradictions, no-one's gonna accept the fact that you've used every excuse in the book as far as injuries are concerned to defend the manager then 4 months later you turn around and say they're merely excuses to attack the manager - just stupid contradictory shit like that just exposes you and you've proved you're an emotional little toerag with your response.

Don't bother responding cause all you're gonna do is waste yours and my time with more silly mental gymnastics, pointless debating with peasants like yourself.

Well you know what, I'm gonna reply even harder. Cause you've been wasting everyones time.

If you cannot understand how views can change in 4 months time, you could be used as an illustration to word "imbecile" in directionary. Shows you made up your mind from day 1 and never ever took any new info on board. Considering new info is "mental gymnastics".

You can stop reading and responding here, I'll explain things to people who can understand time and added info -

- 4-5 months ago we were all waiting for number of key players to return to pitch and to full fitness;
- slump in form at the time was understandable, as we were without any established CB's, without our best creative player, without our top scorer and without two main CM's from first half of the season;
- after that ALL of them returned and stayed mostly healthy and available;
- despite having them back, our form DID NOT really improve;
- and after season was concluded, Transfermarkt compiled data, showing that our injury issues were FAR from worst in the league.

So yes, absence of players felt like the obvious reason of our slump in period of November-December-January. But ever since February we have had most core players available.
So having suffered end of the season where

With last 11 games we...
Scored 12 and conceded 22 (!); so on average scored 1 and conceded 2 goals
Won 4, drew 1, lost 6
Went to longest losing spree in decades (!)
Gathered 13 points (so 1,2 ppg!)
....without any major injury issues - yes, it makes one think that there is something else inherently wrong and maybe historically too much emphasis was put on the injuries.

He’s a top bloke our manager.

Nice to see him relaxed while being interviewed back at “home” in Australia.
Clear they have a lot of love and respect for him over there. Great to see.

Roll on 24/25.
The media hounded him out of the country a few years ago. Now they’re sucking up to him big time. Australians hate a tall poppy unless they’ve been successful internationally. Then they turn into sycophants.

*reads this post*

*goes back to check facts*

Last season we scored 70
This season we scored 74

Yeaaaaa... suuuureeee... we scored so much more this season. Whopping 4 goals more. This like... 0,1 goal more than last season. What a stark difference indeed.

But hey, don't let facts get in way of an awesome story and agenda, right!
Sorry, that was a slip of the finger / brain - I meant to say that we played in a way whereby we would normally expect to score more goals - the point was about the style of football, not the actual number of goals that we scored. We were often awful up front this season, but you'd be hard-pushed to find any fan that doesn't agree that we played a lot more attacking football this season, and hence were more open at the back, that was my point (and my error does nothing to change or invalidate that point). Now I've restated it, do you agree?

I.E.
Do you agree that we played more attacking football this season than last?
Do you agree that we were more open at the back because of that attacking style of football?

That's the main reason we didn't concede far fewer goals than last season despite having significantly better defenders playing.

EDIT: By the way, I'm not necessarily saying that everyone should defend Ange's style of football, not at all, people are entitled to have differing views on that. I'm just saying that conceding a similar number of goals as last season but with much better defenders is not necessarily 'alarming' (the word you used originally I believe) - it just highlights that we are playing a higher risk / reward style of football now. If that is what you find alarming - our style of football - then that hasn't come across in your original post at all (due to it being devoid of all context). Personally I'd be far more concerned that, given the style of football we've played this season, we haven't scored more goals, that is where our problem is...

Last edited:
End of tricky first season with lots to resolve.

Just get your head down, innit.

Best look imo.

Why would doing some punditry stop him from preparing though?

Are we really at the stage where we're actively moaning about seeing a Spurs manager on TV?

Is Postecoglous ITV punditry going to be used as an excuse if we don't win the double this upcoming season?

I can't wait. Should be one hell of a season.

Back
Top Bottom