Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why would doing some punditry stop him from preparing though?

Are we really at the stage where we're actively moaning about seeing a Spurs manager on TV?

Is Postecoglous ITV punditry going to be used as an excuse if we don't win the double this upcoming season?

I can't wait. Should be one hell of a season.
Just doesn't sit right with me.

Don't like it.

Sorry but this is completely ignoring the context, in particular the style of football played last season and this season.

We are playing much more attacking football now, scoring more goals, and consequently giving up more / better chances to the opposition. However we've not conceded lots more goals than last year, as our defenders and keeper are much better players.

Isn't this what everyone wanted? More attacking football, more goals scored, but without conceding lots more? I'm certainly happy with that. :/
I'd like a clean sheet every once in a while

I'd like a clean sheet every once in a while
Absolutely, wouldn't we all! :)

As I say, above I'm not defending the style of football (though personally I do like most aspects of it) - I'm just adding the necessary context to the other poster's original assertion that basically "we have better defenders now so why aren't we conceding far fewer goals?" - that question is too simple in its phrasing, too lacking in context of the style of football we're playing, to stand alone. I don't know whether that was deliberate or an omission by the orignal poster, but the context is absolutely needed.

Well you know what, I'm gonna reply even harder. Cause you've been wasting everyones time.

If you cannot understand how views can change in 4 months time, you could be used as an illustration to word "imbecile" in directionary. Shows you made up your mind from day 1 and never ever took any new info on board. Considering new info is "mental gymnastics".

You can stop reading and responding here, I'll explain things to people who can understand time and added info -

- 4-5 months ago we were all waiting for number of key players to return to pitch and to full fitness;
- slump in form at the time was understandable, as we were without any established CB's, without our best creative player, without our top scorer and without two main CM's from first half of the season;
- after that ALL of them returned and stayed mostly healthy and available;
- despite having them back, our form DID NOT really improve;
- and after season was concluded, Transfermarkt compiled data, showing that our injury issues were FAR from worst in the league.

So yes, absence of players felt like the obvious reason of our slump in period of November-December-January. But ever since February we have had most core players available.
So having suffered end of the season where

With last 11 games we...
Scored 12 and conceded 22 (!); so on average scored 1 and conceded 2 goals
Won 4, drew 1, lost 6
Went to longest losing spree in decades (!)
Gathered 13 points (so 1,2 ppg!)
....without any major injury issues - yes, it makes one think that there is something else inherently wrong and maybe historically too much emphasis was put on the injuries.

It's a pretty basic argument that you're trying to make it into something difficult to understand, injuries have affected us and can be used as a valid reason as to why we've slumped, you trying to say it's an excuse because other sides have been affected more doesn't alter the fact that we are still affected.

If you're having a contextual debate about our manager and how we've fared with Starks Starks then you can't dismiss injuries and say it doesn't compare to other teams because it have fuck all do to with other teams because you're assessing us over the season so it doesn't matter if we had the worst injury crisis or if we have managed it the best, if we can't field someone like VDV over the space of 3 months then it's going to affect form, rhythm, confidence, results throughout the season.

BTW The first post I quoted was from July last year not November when our injury crisis started "4 to 5 months ago", you were ready to use injuries as an excuse back then before a ball was kicked back then, a year later you're happy to change your mind and say "injuries are a very comfortable excuse to hide behind" What utter nonsense.

What's more going into the last month we still had key players injured anyway. (Udogie, Werner, Richy, Biss) so I don't get your point anyway, it's not as if we have a clean bill of health.

If you're gonna do the context thing then do it properly, everyone will accept the fact that we've slumped in the 2nd half of the season regardless of any facts and people are happy to admit that as a concern but to completely dismiss injuries especially for a manager in his debut season is just disingenuous bullshit.

Don't like this.

Just fucking say you're too busy preparing for next season.

Guy likes the shine too much.

He’s hardly fucking Harry Redknapp.

He’s going to be in a studio for about 3 hours for a few days over the summer. Not sure what you’re expecting him to do when preseason hasn’t even started yet.

It is a very weird thing to get worked up about.

He’s hardly fucking Harry Redknapp.

He’s going to be in a studio for about 3 hours for a few days over the summer. Not sure what you’re expecting him to do when preseason hasn’t even started yet.

It is a very weird thing to get worked up about.
How am I worked up? lol

I just don't like it.

And I don't have to like it.

does stink of attention seeking. hes got serious work to do! shouldnt be wasting time waffling shit about comps that have nothing to do with spurs.
When the majority of your team are away on international duty, what serious work can he do?

His time in the studio is what, 3-4 hours each day for a select few games?

He's not wasting his time or anyone else's, unlike you with your 'angry man having a pop at every opportunity' tosh you post.

So we didn't let Lloris, Dier and Sanchez all go, then relegate Royal to the bench and add Udogie to the starting line up then?

We saw there was a massive problem with our useless defense and replaced almost all of it.
And conceded a few goals less. It's actually baffling how we managed to upgrade so significantly but barely have tangible evidence of it.
And if we're comparing to prior seasons, we conceded 21 goals less the season before. With that same awful defense.
It wouldn't be baffling if you actually read the posts rebutting your spurious takes.

Thomas Frank is working for BBC

So there’s another current manager doing a bit of punditry

I’ll wait for the “but it’s Brentford” comments
He's been Brentford's manager since 2018 and been in the prem for 3 years.

I actually can't remember a new manager ever doing something like this.

Why would doing some punditry stop him from preparing though?

Are we really at the stage where we're actively moaning about seeing a Spurs manager on TV?

Is Postecoglous ITV punditry going to be used as an excuse if we don't win the double this upcoming season?

I can't wait. Should be one hell of a season.
Yes seems that way. Why does it bother anyone??
I’d rather see our manager than any other to be honest

Who gives a fuck? What problem does it cause ?
For me, it's a bad look.

He's done nothing, yet; has just arrived and has had a very challenging season.

He has tons to sort out with this squad.

It looks fucking ragged and he needs to keep it shut and keep his head down.

Not seek more publicity for his brand.

Especially after all the noise around the city game - just keep your fucking head down and focus on the huge job you have just walked into.

Give it due respect and FULL focus.

It's tatty.

Why is it when people like a manager - in modern day football - they lose all critical faculty re. that person.

Overall, I like Ange.

I want him to be a success here, as, overall, I dig his football.

But the guy is unduly cocky and seemingly self-obsessed.

He's also a lovely, warm character with a big heart for the game.

Both can be true and can be commented on.

The good and the bad.

Seeking the spotlight on a worldwide tournament show is just bad taste from him, in context, imvho.

If he'd won a cup... ok, maybe you get a squeeze.

But he's done nothing and is at a very sensitive stage of a rebuild, where he needs to get this summer spot on if his football is to survive in this league, next season.

Seriously have questions about certain aspects this guy's character.

In THIS situation, I want my manager singularly focused on us, in every respect.

Not out there signalling frivolity.

It's just off.

Back
Top Bottom