Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's got change few things NOW including high line and game management.

This is high risk, won't work in the EPL.
he wont change high line. well see on the villa lineup if hes learnt from the previous two games more so today. some of these players are suicide for his system and completely kill it from within. you cant play front foot football with dier, davies, royal and PEH all in the team, its never going to work in this league.

he showed no emotion for the wolves goals today...maybe he just knew there was no point as its just wasted energy on some of these stinkers still nicking a living from this club. you cant polish a turd.

he wont change high line. well see on the villa lineup if hes learnt from the previous two games more so today. some of these players are suicide for his system and completely kill it from within. you cant play front foot football with dier, davies, royal and PEH all in the team, its never going to work in this league.

he showed no emotion for the wolves goals today...maybe he just knew there was no point as its just wasted energy on some of these stinkers still nicking a living from this club. you cant polish a turd.
As we’ve seen for the past 4 years, we can’t play backs-to-the-wall with them either.

I still have rock solid faith in Ange and the problem is a personnel issue, not a Postecoglou one.

As we’ve seen for the past 4 years, we can’t play backs-to-the-wall with them either.

I still have rock solid faith in Ange and the problem is a personnel issue, not a Postecoglou one.
its disappointing that hes fallen into the same trap as the managers before him. even if we see a kid today and lost 1-4 we would at least know he knows a turd when he sees one!

Our philosophy is the most important thing long term. We have a nucleus of a squad to develop further with that philosophy but we are also in the development stage of filtering out the old to make way for the new.

5 or 6 more out and a the same kind of numbers in over the next 2 windows and we will be set up extremely well. I'd say another CB or two, another CM, depth for Maddison, a LW and another striker option, along with a backup GK

its disappointing that hes fallen into the same trap as the managers before him. even if we see a kid today and lost 1-4 we would at least know he knows a turd when he sees one!
I would compare it to early Poch. You have to be mindful of squad/club politics and keep the bigger personalities/older senior players onside. This goes beyond picking a matchday XI, this is about daily life at the club, on the training field, in the dressing room, the cafeteria etc.

Ange is doing the right thing by allowing the senior players to play their way out of the team, especially during an injury crisis.

He handled the Richarlison striker issue wonderfully earlier in the season and I expect similar again here soon enough.

I expect Phillips to get a chance but Dorrington is nowhere near ready IMO.

I would compare it to early Poch. You have to be mindful of squad/club politics and keep the bigger personalities/older senior players onside. This goes beyond picking a matchday XI, this is about daily life at the club, on the training field, in the dressing room, the cafeteria etc.

Ange is doing the right thing by allowing the senior players to play their way out of the team, especially during an injury crisis.

He handled the Richarlison striker issue wonderfully earlier in the season and I expect similar again here soon enough.

People can't see the bigger picture sadly, they are calling for Ange to "just defend the lead and see the game out" like we didn't try that countless times under Conte with these exact same players and failed miserably.

Like someone else said, the philosophy is more important for our future under this manager right now; results are the outcome of that philosophy being successful in the long term and it hurts when things go wrong in the short term but the belief in the system and philosophy is the key to success for this club.

i hear what youre saying, but that only makes sense if he came into a successful team and wanted to change things to how he wants. he came into a club that was a mess, largely down to having players that have been here for far too long that are not good enough. they didnt get a whiff in the first 10 games and look how that worked out!

you cant just chuck seasons away in football, you only get so many years in your lifetime.

People can't see the bigger picture sadly, they are calling for Ange to "just defend the lead and see the game out" like we didn't try that countless times under Conte with these exact same players and failed miserably.

Like someone else said, the philosophy is more important for our future under this manager right now; results are the outcome of that philosophy being successful in the long term and it hurts when things go wrong in the short term but the belief in the system and philosophy is the key to success for this club.

Pep and Klopp never compromised either

So called fans already starting to turn, or on here at least laying their foundations so however many weeks, months or years into the future they can turn and say "I told you so".. like anyone but themselves would give a fuck.

Couple of tough games and the individual blame game is well and truly on. Management, ownership, certain players..

We are in a great position and those doing it
should be ashamed of themselves.

Pep and Klopp never compromised either

Exactly. Pep got a fair amount of flack in his first year with the goals they conceded and his stubbornness at times. And they finished 4th his first year if I remember correctly. With way more talent and I’m the big picture, some things are more important than the result. In Ange I trust.

So called fans already starting to turn, or on here at least laying their foundations so however many weeks, months or years into the future they can turn and say "I told you so".. like anyone but themselves would give a fuck.

Couple of tough games and the individual blame game is well and truly on. Management, ownership, certain players..

We are in a great position and those doing it
should be ashamed of themselves.
It’s to be expected from a fan base that craves success and has not had much for decades. There are several generations of damaged spurs fans, from what I can gather

Interestingly if Posto was all about the future and accepting the ups and downs, maybe a couple of youngsters blooded might have been more productive. Rather than clinging to the hope that the old guard would bring the points home.

And if we'd shipped 4 goals playing a bunch of youngsters who have barely played a match of professional football between them, the exact same people would be saying things like,
"Naive to think that would work in the Premier League".

I guaranfuckingtee it.

I've seen enough to continue doubting. I want to be wrong by the way.
And would you say there's been more negatives than positives so far this season? Lost one of the Premier League's best ever strikers on the eve of the season and yet we were the last team to lose a match. Currently in the top 4. 3 out of 3 manager of the month awards.

Nothing there to dispel any of your doubts? Ok mate, you crack on.

:tanguythumb:

Last edited:
Our fans can be so ridiculous! The man has just started and gave us the best 3 months of football in our recent history. He has been dealt a horrid card in terms of injuries (let’s be honest, if Romero stays on we likely win that game and today and don’t end up having vdv hobble off, whilst sitting a few points ahead of the rest at the top of the table) and has had to play the “senior players get a shot” it backfired and I’m sure he has seen what he wanted to! Against villa I think we see Phillips & GLC. We simply cannot defend a lead! Rome wasn’t built in a day and it’ll take a few windows to get the squad he needs!

Our fans can be so ridiculous! The man has just started and gave us the best 3 months of football in our recent history. He has been dealt a horrid card in terms of injuries (let’s be honest, if Romero stays on we likely win that game and today and don’t end up having vdv hobble off, whilst sitting a few points ahead of the rest at the top of the table) and has had to play the “senior players get a shot” it backfired and I’m sure he has seen what he wanted to! Against villa I think we see Phillips & GLC. We simply cannot defend a lead! Rome wasn’t built in a day and it’ll take a few windows to get the squad he needs!
Don't worry, most of us are on board. There are a few kvetchers who show up here only when things take a turn for the worse, but like they say, the loudest voices are usually the dumbest.

I think the fans should be more patient with Ange and (as an extension), the club’s forward plans.

We are now in a much better position since the days when Poch started his decline at this club.

We have slowly started the rebuild after Paratici joined us. This summer we acquired a number of players, some of whom , many fans thought were mediocre. But how many fans would have expected that the two ‘ugly ducklings’ would turn out to be graceful swans (Vicario & VDV).

Ange has already said that we would need a few TWs to build a squad strong enough to challenge the big clubs. Buying too many players in one TW may be too disruptive . Just look at Chelsea waddling in mid-table.

We currently have a strong starting eleven. That’s the first step forward. I believe that Ange will get it right in the next few TWs to strengthen our bench too. He is well aware that we need to get rid of many mediocre players but if they refuse to leave the club, then we are stuck with them until their respective contracts run out. Thankfully a few of these players will have their contracts run out next summer or the summer after that.

But for now, until the Jan TW arrives, I hope that Ange gives some playing time for the younger players instead of continuing to use the same underperforming players over and over again. GIVE YOUTH A CHANCE - they are our present and our future.

Our philosophy is the most important thing long term. We have a nucleus of a squad to develop further with that philosophy but we are also in the development stage of filtering out the old to make way for the new.

5 or 6 more out and a the same kind of numbers in over the next 2 windows and we will be set up extremely well. I'd say another CB or two, another CM, depth for Maddison, a LW and another striker option, along with a backup GK
Philosophy and investment strategy. If we need to ‘sell before we buy’, philosophy is irrelevant unless the plan is to play kids and give them 5 years to develop

I can understand that the manager wants the players to play in his style, and to reinforce that they have to play that way every game to get it into the players natural flow
the same way Pep does, but also the same way Vincent Kompany has his players playing

Back
Top Bottom