Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great post and I’m struggling to understand why people are so extreme on this because this position seems obvious to me

Woolwich.

It's hurting people even if they don't want to admit it, they want the club to magically be up there challenging also despite only having one summer window to change the team for a new managers completely different method of football

Woolwich.

It's hurting people even if they don't want to admit it, they want the club to magically be up there challenging also despite only having one summer window to change the team for a new managers completely different method of football

That’s the reason they are hurting but I’m not giving Levy the excuse of one summer.

It’s because of years of poor leadership on the football side of things

Think we can map the fall back to the Winter break.

Before that we had all sorts of injuries but fought through, appeared to be coming out the other side at that moment.

Ange gave them breaks with their families, for me this was a huge mistake. Those days they likely ate treats and didn’t train well, whereas Woolwich for example warm weather trained and came back full force. We have looked laboured and lacking reserves to fuel intensity ever since.

Those warm weather breaks, give the team time together, on a meticulously regulated meal plan and timings, training schedules, huge Vitamin D etcetera.

Cant help but think back to Burnley Feb 2019 under Poch, where we had a 2 week break before and came back looking like pensioners for most of the rest of the season, in his case (Poch) he intensity trained them when they needed gentle training and sun, but thereafter we were appalling every first half, Poch would rally them at half time and second half we often looked better (it was very similar to now).

Ange has no experience of the intensity load the Prem puts players under, Celtic hardly has the same demand as they can coast 50% of most games.

You are expert on the physical demands of the J league and Australian league I assume?

Or just a plonker who hadn’t really thought through his position but would prefer to stay married to it?

Yes; resources are relative to those around you.

Celtic and the level of the SPL is a red herring for both sides of the argument.

I said before a ball was kicked this season; I'm far more encouraged by the way he propelled clubs up the league to win titles at his other clubs.... His other teams weren't the dominant alpha team in their leagues when he took over.
This thing about “yes, it’s all well and good doing it in Scotland” is getting boring now. To be fair, yes, Celtic are one of two dominant sides in that league. So he’s a step ahead there. But it’s only a step.

Celtic have lost the same number of matches this season as City and Liverpool. One less than Woolwich. Goal difference isn’t spectacularly better. The gap between the top two and the rest in Scotland is the same as the gap between the top three and the rest in England. The Scottish league is more competitive than people seem to realise. And if it’s not, it’s certainly comparable to the top division in England.

Yes, Celtic are the top side in Scotland, but they aren’t so far ahead of the competition as many believe. A step up on where we are as a club, but only a step. If Ange’s tactics and style of play can work there, it certainly could work here too.

Woolwich.

Magically? It's not like our owners have been here 2 years. This is fans at the end of their tether with the owners and how we are run and the constant bad decisions that have put us in a position of ANOTHER rebuild. And nobody is expecting us to be challenging for the league but the way we played in the cup competitions and some of the performances in the league right now it doesn't feel like much has changed in terms of our mentality. The cup performances in particular this year were a disgrace.

Magically? It's not like our owners have been here 2 years. This is fans at the end of their tether with the owners and how we are run and the constant bad decisions that have put us in a position of ANOTHER rebuild. And nobody is expecting us to be challenging for the league but the way we played in the cup competitions and some of the performances in the league right now it doesn't feel like much has changed in terms of our mentality. The cup performances in particular this year were a disgrace.

You can't buy everything for new manager needs or may want in one summer when he already has a squad of over 30 to work with and see if they can adapt

You can't buy everything for new manager needs or may want in one summer when he already has a squad of over 30 to work with and see if they can adapt
I don't think it's just about buying players. It's the whole ethos within the club and for a long time it's been top 4 is the trophy. That's why we get trolled so hard on social media because that is true and we do not win trophies. Except now since poch we have got the top 4 'trophy' once. So we don't even do that anymore. This is not just about this season and it's not going to be changed by a couple of players and a manager change every few years.

I don't think it's just about buying players. It's the whole ethos within the club and for a long time it's been top 4 is the trophy. That's why we get trolled so hard on social media because that is true and we do not win trophies. Except now since poch we have got the top 4 'trophy' once. So we don't even do that anymore. This is not just about this season and it's not going to be changed by a couple of players and a manager change every few years.
Don't disagree with that, I've always said conte was spot on. CL qualification is seen as a good season . There's no pressure from the top be champions.

They've never won nothing, they're used to it here. Not playing for something, playing without pressure :conteshock:

Don't disagree with that, I've always said conte was spot on. CL qualification is seen as a good season . There's no pressure from the top be champions.

They've never won nothing, they're used to it here. Not playing for something, playing without pressure :conteshock:
Conte might not, be everyone's favourite but has to be said, he got this absolutely right.
He knew what the club was and is about.
In fact, we probably should have this inscribed on the club badge in Latin.

You are expert on the physical demands of the J league and Australian league I assume?

Or just a plonker who hadn’t really thought through his position but would prefer to stay married to it?
The prem is a different beast to all others. Is Conte an expert? Did he often talk of this and want recruitment based upon that? Did he have his drill sergeant to work around that? Did things fall apart when his trusted fitness guy fell ill and sadly passed?

Do all major coaches know this and have elite staff to complement that?

Or, are you the plonker here?

No-one has patience for a rebuild anymore at this club, they want to win now hence why everyone is in meltdown mode every time we go through a perceived bad moment, the Woolwich thing a massive factor as well.

No-one has patience for a rebuild anymore at this club, they want to win now hence why everyone is in meltdown mode every time we go through a perceived bad moment, the Woolwich thing a massive factor as well.
I have patience for a rebuild, just running out of patience that the rebuild seems to have been going on for years. Saying that, we need to stick with who we have in charge. Just change a few of the players.

The prem is a different beast to all others. Is Conte an expert? Did he often talk of this and want recruitment based upon that? Did he have his drill sergeant to work around that? Did things fall apart when his trusted fitness guy fell ill and sadly passed?

Do all major coaches know this and have elite staff to complement that?

Or, are you the plonker here?

Conte knows the physical demand of the J League, SPL and Australia?

Give or take 3 or 4 seasons (a couple really good a couple shite) we've been at a similar level since Jols first full season. Thats 20 years ago. Generally we're a competing for 4th side, a bad season and we're 7th or 8th. Sometimes you just need a bit more than that, its got very stale.

I mean is this side even any better than Jols? Other than those 2 title challenging seasons 15 to 17 we just go round in circles. So calls to be patient for a rebuild is wearing a bit thin. They need to put down a marker this summer or it will be exactly the same next season.

Give or take 3 or 4 seasons (a couple really good a couple shite) we've been at a similar level since Jols first full season. Thats 20 years ago. Generally we're a competing for 4th side, a bad season and we're 7th or 8th. Sometimes you just need a bit more than that, its got very stale.

I mean is this side even any better than Jols? Other than those 2 title challenging seasons 15 to 17 we just go round in circles. So calls to be patient for a rebuild is wearing a bit thin. They need to put down a marker this summer or it will be exactly the same next season.
I’d say we are in a better position than at almost any time over the past couple of decades. Just happens that a few of the clubs around us are too. Unfortunately we can’t just improve year on year, we need to catch the ones above us too, which is a huge leap.

Calls for patience from, the non football people who use this forum will be ignored.
You have kind of nailed it, we all have been more than patient but, it does indeed just go around in a cycle the same problems as always.
When does or will the transition ever stop, still we provide entertainment for our rivals to take the piss.

Conte knows the physical demand of the J League, SPL and Australia?
Shaking My Head GIF by Grammarly.com

Back
Top Bottom