Anthony Georgiou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With all due respects to the lad, one expects he will be working harder under Poch to crack first team football!
For all we know he could be working as hard as possible. But with players like Eriksen, Alli, Son, Lucas and Lamela to go through it seems a gargantuan task. I think he signed a new deal earlier this year so hopefully he can get a loan next season to get some first team football.

Spoke to Anthony's dad today on the phone. He works for one of our customers.
I mentioned Japhet's performance yesterday and he agreed and spoke highly of both him and Skippy, who he said always put in MOTM performances when he was watching them coming up through the ranks.
Seemed like a geniunely nice bloke, but I definitely detected a little sour note that he feels his lad never got a fair crack of the whip at the club. He said any time he did get on the pitch he was thrown in at FB when he was always a winger.

I would be more than happy to have our CB's as Sanchez, Foyth, Eyoma and Tanganga. This is proper competition, a change for each to push each other and forge the right partnerships for years to come. Time to get this bedded in is this season.

They chronically lack experience though. They won’t hold up in CL or against the top 5.

Sanchez is a good defender but he lacks the ability to distribute.

I like Foyth as well and still hope he comes good but he’s unreliable and is error prone.

Eyoma is not ready at this level with zero experience.

Tanganga is just getting started with 2 games under his belt.

We had to sign Toby really, if only to hand down experience and guide these young centre backs to learn.

I personally would be horrified if we went into a season with those 4, and I am not sure if all of them are prem quality.

I think Nkoudou was a better footballer but only due to his experience and age. Plus he is Spurs, the invisible 5% performance that gives the player.

Would have been far better to have stuck with Georgiou develop him and sell him for more than we paid for and lost on Nkoudo (net -£9m).

Forget what we paid for Nkoudou but think it was £10m - £15m and think we paid not only for experience and age but for potential, of which we saw very little and realistically was Championship level at best in UK (after he struggled at Burnley on loan to get into their starting X1)

Georgiou at £zero had reasonable potential (as we saw when playing him against a Cypriot side) , but probably not Spurs level, but certainly League 1 or even Championship level had we loaned him out at the right age.

Same story really with Foyth, why buy him in at £10m when Poch could see Tanganga and Eyoma in development squad Tanganga after 3 games (plus Colchester) already looks more dependable than Foyth.

Just think its down to Poch not having a particularly good eye for players - many coaches are poor at buying players for that reason so no shame in that. But he should have understood he needs a DoF to do the things he is bad at

Forget what we paid for Nkoudou but think it was £10m - £15m and think we paid not only for experience and age but for potential, of which we saw very little and realistically was Championship level at best in UK (after he struggled at Burnley on loan to get into their starting X1)

Georgiou at £zero had reasonable potential (as we saw when playing him against a Cypriot side) , but probably not Spurs level, but certainly League 1 or even Championship level had we loaned him out at the right age.

Same story really with Foyth, why buy him in at £10m when Poch could see Tanganga and Eyoma in development squad Tanganga after 3 games (plus Colchester) already looks more dependable than Foyth.

Just think its down to Poch not having a particularly good eye for players - many coaches are poor at buying players for that reason so no shame in that. But he should have understood he needs a DoF to do the things he is bad at
I really, really like Foyth. I think he was a great buy and given the fee we paid for him it was a true no brainer IMO. I also love Tanganga and Eyoma, ironically I had seen very little of Tanganga. The deal that I don't get is why give Toby a new deal? He's the player that hasn't been performing as high as Sanchez this year, I see him as the block not Foyth.

I would be more than happy to have our CB's as Sanchez, Foyth, Eyoma and Tanganga. This is proper competition, a chance for each to push each other and forge the right partnerships for years to come. Time to get this bedded in is this season.

Last edited:
Agreed with your assessment of Jan (sadly as he's been one of my favourite players) and Toby who I was surprised we gave a new contract to - think his future will be agreed next summer, could go either way, and even if he stays he might still go in summer 2021.

If both Jan and Toby are leaving this summer, Foyth has looked way off the pace as a CB and overtaken by Tanganga (based upon admittedly limited playing time) , so going into the TW we would realistically only have Suarez and Tanganga……...or if Toby stays its Toby, Suarez and Tanganga.

Whichever, better to give Suarez and Tanganga a decent amount of playing time so that we have either 2 or 3 CB's to build round for next season with a need to buy either one or two CB's to have a decent defence for 2020/21.
Suarez?? Take it you mean Sanchez, unless we have a youth team player called Suarez. Please don't confuse me, as I've only had three hours kip, and my flight home has been delayed by an hour.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last error I remeber from Foyth was a misplaced pass from Sissoko that put the ball tô him in the middle of 3 players. He lost the ball. He's off, Sissoko is in. Our midfielders, in Sissoko and Winks, put us under fire more than any defender, but they aren't changes.
Our midfield is shit mate, our defence struggles as a consequence and will continue to struggle no matter who is at CB. If VVD was plopped into the middle of our defence he will still have three times the amount of defending to do as he does at Liverpool.

He's 22yrs old mate, EVERY player that age will make a bad call, be that lack of judgement or just taking the wrong option. When playing against mature players (he will not be every week as oppo also playing young players) that is likely to get punished. It's part and parcel of a young players development.

Just look at De Ligt right now, his quality was clear for all to see, he got his big move (in my opinion to the wrong club) but has really struggled this season, making numerous errors. These are no doubt as a result primarily because he's just 20yrs old! Having to deal with a new team (his first new team he's played for in his life), new country etc......but at 20 he will be the target of any oppo striker who fancies his luck. This is the natural path to development, some come through it, others don't.

He reminds me of John Stones, Stones got a lot of mins under his belt at the same age, was brilliant but still was prone to an error, those errors were very similar, usually when trying to take the ball out of defence. Since his injury he's not been able to get his place back in the team, is this because he's simply not developed his game and is still making the same errors? Or is it a fitness & confidence issues as a result of the injury?

In any event, most CB's don't reach their heights until 26 or 27yrs old you only have to look at Toby for evidence of this, before we bought him he was out on loan at Southampton at the age of 26yrs. Van Dijk was getting nutmegged and spun by Kane whilst playing for Southampton whilst 26yrs old. No one was talking about these two as anything "special" before they made their moves.

Now that might support the argument for unearthing a mature CB who's 26/27 but are we going to drop £80-£100m on a CB?

IMO we are in a truly unique position of possessing 4 very promising young CB's, all will be desperate for minutes, all will, therefore, be pushing each other for a starting slot. This season more than any other should be their opportunity (because we are 8th and 9pts off top four) and with every passing week, our current CB's will get worse, not better by the same token the young lads should with every passing week be getting better. As I say, I'd rather lose trying to develop the future of Tottenham, than lose sticking with what will be the past of Tottenham.

Agree with lots of that but Tanganga, aged 20, looks a lot more composed, relaxed but alert and able (also comes through in his interviews) than Foyth at aged 22 and thereby most likely to be easier to integrate into the first team.

Sure, Foyth is far from a lost cause and ripe for development, and I do take on board the John Stones comparison as he seems to have plateaued. So question is whether we can develop Foyth in house or whether he neds a loan to a coach we trust to help develop him.

I had a good chat about this kid a few years ago with my barber, he's his uncle (This was just before the Newcastle away game at the end of 2015/16 season).
I had only seen him in the Next Gen game vs Barcelona but looked solid. Family seems very nice and well grounded about his chances and sounded like they where just pleased he was still in the system. Nice to see another local lad hopefully getting a shot.
This was just before the Newcastle away game at the end of 2015/16 season

Back
Top Bottom