Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For sure now the expectation will be to threaten a title chase or at the very least a strong CL run. He has everything he wants short of a quality RWB.

Just super excited about pre-season, for a few reasons..

-Seeing what a full pre-season under Conte can do to the team straight out the gate.
-All the new players (maybe not even all by then)
-Son in Korea is going to be absolutely massive for him and for us as a club commercially.
- Seeing what the dynamic is amongst the squad (I'd imagine the new SpursPlay will be doing some BTS stuff on the tour and across the season)
-If Conte plays with a 343 & 352 and with who and how do we play.

I mean, all obvious points, but thought I'd hit 'em down for you all the agree with and add to..

Anything I haven't noted?

Interview Ventrone by Tuttosport about athletic training, championship and world cup

Giampiero Ventrone, Juventus' historic athletic trainer who works for Tottenham today, comments on a particular year due to the World Cup: «It is the first time ever. It is not so important to talk about what you will do as exercises but about the strategy you will want to launch to face this anomalous season. And here you can make various decisions. The club retreats will begin towards the beginning of July, there will be five to six weeks of pre-season. The teams will be able to run a lot, defining it preparation would be an excessive form, it is a question of reactivating the players to prepare them for the new season ».
The trainers will be able to organize a different path between players who will go to the World Cup and those who will not compete in the competition?
"This is a much more complex idea to pursue. I quote Conte: during the tactical exercises, the players move for 6-7-8 kilometers, the outside players even more. If we do not want to keep in mind the tactical aspect, but only the physical one, we must not forget this type of work, which certainly does not have a poor physical value ".
But is it true that nowadays people work much more with the ball and have the "only" physical exercises changed?
«The watershed of 2005. Since then, most of the staff have understood that to ensure that the player's energy cost is lowered, it is better to work in specific sport conditions».
Will there be a greater risk of injury this year?
"If you do not train the athlete constantly over time, there is no way that in twenty days this work can guarantee you months and months of autonomy. It is a very complex subject, but to make training individualized you need quality infrastructures and spaces without competitions they are a luxury. The recovery, on average, is two full days, including bruises. After three days the players can have a good training ».
After the World Cup, he will have to
be supported a new preparation?
“It depends on how we think. Those two weeks are for the coaches to review the tactical aspects and train on a technical level. The best solution is probably that the athlete is balanced, a machine ready to push hard. I am not concerned with improving performance to make it more powerful and resilient. There is no time! You can have flat tires, a system
plumber not working well. So I use that little time to put the athlete back in balance ».
What exercises can be done?
“If I think like the average, I will support aerobic work, now called metabolic. Improved coordination workouts, strength is dying out in this sport, the loads are light. Our organism has specific physiological bases ».
How important is the head in the behavior of a player on the pitch?
«The performance of an athlete is given by moments of loading with unloading and rest: it is this perfect interaction that brings the best results. If we see that a player enters a latent period, we try to change some things, in agreement with Conte and the medical staff, to solve the problem. I can be tired and run. But it is the decision choices that can determine the quality of my actions. The central nervous system governs our body, we must try to be as fresh as possible. The game is made up of moments: if the player has three chances and scores three goals, he made the most of the situations that happened to him ».
Do you think that some footballers pull the oars on the boat before the World Cup? "It can happen. But the true professional, the one who has a clean image of sport, cannot think that this will happen ".
You in England are used to playing all the time anyway. “For some time now we have been playing players with superior physical prowess. Playing here, with passive recovery times, which are very low due to the few interruptions, forces you to improve ».
So maybe in Italy there will be improvements from this point of view.
«It depends: it's a question of the match and the quality of the matches».
I've read this twice and have no idea what it means.

Can't wait for Conte to get hold of our squad now we have some quality reinforcements and start us playing again. I have the Spurs itch and I need to see the boys out on the field asap!! :tobyarm:

us getting conte feels like when chelsea got bought by the bent russian, signings galore to get the team/squad to a standard where it can really compete for the biggest trophies. only difference is, ours is actually organic and real.

lots of people would say you cant sign more than 4 players in a summer because you cant bed them all in, but with the 5 sub rule and how weak our squad was, we needed 5-7.

cant wait for the season to begin with conte in charge of this group of players, get davies and dier upgraded and we are in a title challenge i dont care what anyone says. people trying to say the best we can hope for is 3rd are clueless. liverpool are weaker without mane and even if they wasnt weve improved drastically this window. just got to hope the introduction of a proper #9 fucks up what city had going so well. they didnt need a #9, was smashing teams for fun and scoring plenty, only reason they didnt win the champs league is because pep was trying too hard to be something extra special.
Agree, although I don't really buy this Liverpool or City will be weaker. Even at the same strength we should be able to give them a run. We took 8 out of 12 points from them last year. Not saying we will do it again this year, but not writing these games off either. As long as we win the games we're supposed to we'll be in the hunt. What matters more is our consistency and I believe a system like Conte's helps with that, as it relies on patterns of play moreso than individuals. I think we're capable of points in the high 80s and from there we just hope that the other two are not as consistent as us.

Agree, although I don't really buy this Liverpool or City will be weaker. Even at the same strength we should be able to give them a run. We took 8 out of 12 points from them last year. Not saying we will do it again this year, but not writing these games off either. As long as we win the games we're supposed to we'll be in the hunt. What matters more is our consistency and I believe a system like Conte's helps with that, as it relies on patterns of play moreso than individuals. I think we're capable of points in the high 80s and from there we just hope that the other two are not as consistent as us.
The London games always have a negative effect on our points tally due to the rivalrys of each team we play, (home and away). The only time that we managed to overcome this issue in recent history was in our last season at the (old) Lane.
If we can break these teams down this season and avoid the usual defeats to relegation zone teams i'm confident we will be there or thereabouts. The 5 subs rule should be a big plus for us this season also.
I feel like a teenager again with all this expectation for the coming season. What a time to be a Yid.
COYS.

This is the best I've felt going into a season for years and years. Uh oh!

Yeah I don't want to get carried away. This is still Spurs after all. We all know how the club love to stamp all over our hopes and dreams. I'm gonna take it one week at a time, hope we start well and build some momentum.

It will be interesting to see how we approach the season with having to play all the top 6/7 teams away from home before the world cup. Avoiding defeat in those games and picking up wins where we can will be huge. Because of having to play those games it might look like we are struggling if we don't do that but if we do well in those matches and pick up wins in the games we should then providing our players come through the world cup fit and healthy, we should hopefully be in a good spot.

FWIW. I think Conte is possibly the best of the 3 top managers in the PL.

the sustained upturn in form of players such as Dier, Davis, Doc shows the levels not just of tactics, but the leadership skills of Conte. I also think he can do it with players whose surnames don’t start with a D.

I’ve never really felt as ease with 3-4-3 as it often becomes 5-2-2-1 and becomes narrow and boring. But Conte had players running like fucking machines and more importantly, looking happy to do it for him.

The new buys only add to that. Saw many moves go backwards from half way last season, this season (with the upgrades and more familiarity with Conte’s ideas) I think many of those moves now result in a chance.

with the 5 subs, I think that Conte will play that like a violin.

im hoping he has found his forever home. Some matches are made in heaven. Fergie, Shankley etc. And he builds a fucking dynasty

seriously talking 40 years since I’ve been so giddy at being a yid. And we fucking deserve a sustained period of glory.

Yeah I don't want to get carried away. This is still Spurs after all. We all know how the club love to stamp all over our hopes and dreams. I'm gonna take it one week at a time, hope we start well and build some momentum.

It will be interesting to see how we approach the season with having to play all the top 6/7 teams away from home before the world cup. Avoiding defeat in those games and picking up wins where we can will be huge. Because of having to play those games it might look like we are struggling if we don't do that but if we do well in those matches and pick up wins in the games we should then providing our players come through the world cup fit and healthy, we should hopefully be in a good spot.
I'm fully expecting 2 points from 8 games...

FWIW. I think Conte is possibly the best of the 3 top managers in the PL.

the sustained upturn in form of players such as Dier, Davis, Doc shows the levels not just of tactics, but the leadership skills of Conte. I also think he can do it with players whose surnames don’t start with a D.

I’ve never really felt as ease with 3-4-3 as it often becomes 5-2-2-1 and becomes narrow and boring. But Conte had players running like fucking machines and more importantly, looking happy to do it for him.

The new buys only add to that. Saw many moves go backwards from half way last season, this season (with the upgrades and more familiarity with Conte’s ideas) I think many of those moves now result in a chance.

with the 5 subs, I think that Conte will play that like a violin.

im hoping he has found his forever home. Some matches are made in heaven. Fergie, Shankley etc. And he builds a fucking dynasty

seriously talking 40 years since I’ve been so giddy at being a yid. And we fucking deserve a sustained period of glory.

It's funny, there's a perception and a bias that Conte isn't seen as good as Klopp and Pep because his setup isn't as attacking as the others, it seems that everyone is seduced by high lines, full pressing etc... attacking football and if you're not playing that you're defensive and boring but Conte ball whilst not as attacking is just as risky because of how his teams play out from the back thus inviting a press, perhaps not as sexy but equally as devastating and arguably more effective.

Last edited:
I'm fully expecting 2 points from 8 games...

come on chunk GIF

......I'm expecting at least 8 points from 2 games

:contefists:

It's funny, there's a perception and a bias that Conte isn't seen as good as Klopp and Conte because his setup isn't as attacking as the others, it seems that everyone is seduced by high lines, full pressing etc... attacking football and if you're not playing that you're defensive and boring but Conte ball whilst not as attacking is just as risky because of how his teams play out from the back thus inviting a press, perhaps not as sexy but equally as devastating and arguably more effective.
Exactly. The last 8-9 games, with the exception of the Ronaldo show, were a demonstration in how not to lose a game. Very few good chances created against us. Couple that with a boosted attacking strength a dh Bissuma, I back Conte all day long.
Conte is creating something very special here.

Exactly. The last 8-9 games, with the exception of the Ronaldo show, were a demonstration in how not to lose a game. Very few good chances created against us. Couple that with a boosted attacking strength a dh Bissuma, I back Conte all day long.

He just need to sign his fucking contract and we'll be good, I think he'll be happy with how he's been backed and how we've acted this Summer - a fully backed Conte is a happy Conte so here's hoping.

So, in addition to your points, Conte's Italian footballing heritage means game management is ingrained in his DNA.

He's not Harry Redknapp telling Pav to "run around a bit".

Mourinho is also obsessed with game management, but I think Conte is both better and tactically more astute in controlling or changing matches in play. And, as mentioned, I expect him to use the 5 sub rule to gain many extra points for us over the season.

Also, while we don't do a lot of tiki taka, when we do it, it can be glorious. Conte's no dinosaur. With Biss, perisic, that aspect of our game will be much better too.

Back
Top Bottom