Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I for one am relaxed about the contract situation.
He's known for blowing his lid and walking out. Most coaches don't just resign so he'd end up being paid off to leave. I'd be happy for him to go on a max of 2 years and renew it every year.

Yeah I don't want to get carried away. This is still Spurs after all. We all know how the club love to stamp all over our hopes and dreams. I'm gonna take it one week at a time, hope we start well and build some momentum.

So what you're saying is that if we win our first game you'll be the one to start a "Race for the EPL title" thread?

It will be interesting to see how we approach the season with having to play all the top 6/7 teams away from home before the world cup. Avoiding defeat in those games and picking up wins where we can will be huge. Because of having to play those games it might look like we are struggling if we don't do that but if we do well in those matches and pick up wins in the games we should then providing our players come through the world cup fit and healthy, we should hopefully be in a good spot.

Really? Oh, that's.... ummmm..... Quirky.

So, in addition to your points, Conte's Italian footballing heritage means game management is ingrained in his DNA.

He's not Harry Redknapp telling Pav to "run around a bit".

Mourinho is also obsessed with game management, but I think Conte is both better and tactically more astute in controlling or changing matches in play. And, as mentioned, I expect him to use the 5 sub rule to gain many extra points for us over the season.

I hope you're right.... For me that was the only question mark I was left with last season....

Hopefully our improved options will prove the difference maker; but I didn't like the way we doubled down on Plan A against Brighton & Brentford.

I for one am relaxed about the contract situation.
He's known for blowing his lid and walking out. Most coaches don't just resign so he'd end up being paid off to leave. I'd be happy for him to go on a max of 2 years and renew it every year.
clubs with the option to extend a year or two are probably the way forward with the manager contracts. dont want some failure on a 5 year deal. madness really to get paid out that much for failing at your job.

clubs with the option to extend a year or two are probably the way forward with the manager contracts. dont want some failure on a 5 year deal. madness really to get paid out that much for failing at your job.

The obvious answer is that a coach is only able to claim compensation if there's no deterioration in the teams performances. But some court somewhere will decide that's not "fair"

Wish I could get a few years salary for sitting on here all day.
innocent whistle GIF

I hope you're right.... For me that was the only question mark I was left with last season....

Hopefully our improved options will prove the difference maker; but I didn't like the way we doubled down on Plan A against Brighton & Brentford.
Hopefully, unlike last year, Conte will look at our bench this season and like the options he has to change or control a game.

But I agree, we'll have to wait & see.

Yeah I don't want to get carried away. This is still Spurs after all. We all know how the club love to stamp all over our hopes and dreams. I'm gonna take it one week at a time, hope we start well and build some momentum.

It will be interesting to see how we approach the season with having to play all the top 6/7 teams away from home before the world cup. Avoiding defeat in those games and picking up wins where we can will be huge. Because of having to play those games it might look like we are struggling if we don't do that but if we do well in those matches and pick up wins in the games we should then providing our players come through the world cup fit and healthy, we should hopefully be in a good spot.

Will Smith Applause GIF

The wingback system really does mean those guys have to cover ground and, unlike joggers (Eriksen) they have to do it at speed. To be able to rotate both wing backs in every match could really see us pressure teams until the last whistle rather than blowing out of our arses in the 2nd half.

Excellent point, if we gave a capable pool, they can play 60-70mins, then 20-30mins.

The spaces Contes system creates are often 30-40yards on the reverse, that is brutal on the body when also needing to sprint back for defence (or get jeered for laziness!).

Excellent point, if we gave a capable pool, they can play 60-70mins, then 20-30mins.

The spaces Contes system creates are often 30-40yards on the reverse, that is brutal on the body when also needing to sprint back for defence (or get jeered for laziness!).

We've all bust a gut to get up the pitch, stopped and then struggled to get back. Watch a 100m sprinter at the end of a race drop to the floor. No one is asking them to to turn around and run back at the same speed.

Back
Top Bottom